beebs

If Your Child Has Done A Gluten Challenge..

Rate this topic

HOw long was it until they showed symptoms or started feeling ill or in pain?

We started a gluten challenge on my youngest son after he had been gluten free for 4.5 months. He started having noticible reactions 24 hrs later. He really was bad by day three and my husband said he had all the proof he needed(didn't to a scope/biopsy initally when his blood work was positive) and called the challenge off. There was no way he or us could have tolerated three months of that.

We had to do a gluten challenge after a month and a half of gluten free. (there was a three month wait for the appointment with a ped. gastro) my daughter was about 15 months old. She started reacting immediately and ended up in the hospital with dehydration after the blood test. She was deemed too ill to have the endoscopy with biopsy. i wasn't willing to feed her gluten anylonger for any further testing. She had the genetic test done and was positive for both DQ2 and DQ8. She was diagnosed "probable Celiac"

He has been eating gluten for two weeks, on the first day his reflux came back and since then he has a few bad bellies, saying it hurts and burny feeling etc. Yesterday he had an achy belly the whole day and then last night he vomited, he woke up in the night and vomited and then he vomited this morning. It could be gastro even, but he has no other symptoms other than an achy belly and vomiting. If it had started the day he ate gluten then I would think it was that, but now I'm not so sure.

Remember from what we know digestion has a 6-12 hour window. The rates for digestion variables also include the amount of liquid ingested and the amount of physical activity.

If you want to be a bit more proactive start journaling food, activity, and symptoms. Some Reactions to "triggers" can take up to 12 days for reaction time. (i.e. eosinophils)

This is a really hard, frustrating time for parents. The only thing you can do, is try your best.

Hmm, he stayed of gluten the whole day yesterday and it all settled down, I gave him gluten for breakfast and within an hour his achy tummy is back. Doh.