This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Treating Symptoms While Waiting For Testing?

pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Ok, need help.

Son is showing rapid degradation in GI symptoms and we are having blood drawn next week, GI appt. early Oct. I can't take him off gluten, so I need advice to help with stomach aches, cramping, "hot flashes", and now chronic D.

Advice?

Giving him probiotics and crackers to snack on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Oh I am sorry...

My son has good luck with digestive enzymes helping with minor / CC type glutenings - might help a bit. Ginger ale helps my kids, but bothers me -- I do make a tea with ginger root that helps my stomach aches.

Not sure if he has been consuming a large quantity of gluten - when I was researching gluten challenge for my other son - he hasn't done it yet - seems one slice of gluten bread per day is enough to use during the challenge. Don't know that there is a connection to symptoms with quantity, but might help to limit the quantity?

Although it is awful to have him sick - at least it confirms the need to be gluten free once he completes testing - Celiac Dx or not - gluten is making him ill :(

Hang in there!

Well, who knows if it's gluten. But what are the odds, right?

He does like mint tea. I'll try ginger and see.

He only gets gliten at school or when out. Until yesterday, when I bought him junky gluten food. The D, etc. was going strong before that, though.

I'll see if digestive enzymes work, but I'm wondering if those will break down the gluten???

GottaSki Mentor

My mistake...I thought he was gluten-free before and you were challenging.

Sure hope you find answers for him!

No, we've kept him on it since his labs came back negative last year.

He's having a problem with something. Definitely.

GottaSki Mentor

So hard when they test negative - not knowing if symptoms are related to gluten or something else...my kids were all teenager or adult when I was finally dx'd. One that tested negative decided on his own to go gluten-free shortly after me to see if he could improve major GERD that never got help with meds along with frequent flu type episodes -- his health improved gluten-free so he never went back on it -- well he did have a couple intentional glutenings during his senior year - he got extremely ill each time so he stopped "cheating" within the first year.

mamaupupup Contributor

Thinking of you!!! My kids had other symptoms--but it was so hard to keep them on gluten for the testing.

I would add the following:

- Make sure he's getting lots of fluids since D can be dehydrating. We have all grown to like/feel comforted with aloe juice (our Costco now carries it in addition to Whole Foods, etc.).

- One of our daughters responded positively to a low fat, low sugar, lactose free diet. Her belly was a WRECK from Celiac/gluten. It seems like removing fats helped her a bunch.

- I liked having my belly rubbed.

- One daughter liked a cold pack for her belly.

- A hot water bottle might give him some comfort.

- Frankly, anything to get his mind off his poor belly...I would do anything for the next month to help the little guy...a designated "all you can watch" month on PBS? Lots of books on tape (worked well for one daughter). A bin full of new art supplies?

I hope some of this helps!

Also, do try try try to keep a food log and symptom log. I often took pics of meals on my iphone and then wrote everything down at the end of the day. This may help you/doctors/nutritionist figure out the puzzle.

Sending hugs!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Persei V. Enthusiast

Some teas are able to calm down upset stomaches, however, I'm afraid the ones I know have not very pleasant tastes. I agree that you should have them as much distracted as possible, as well as having plenty of liquids to cope with D.

Keep their diet healthy and light, as well, with things easy to digest.

Well, it looks like he may have had a stomach bug.

Because I think I have a stomach bug.

What are the odds my symptoms are the same as his, right after his, and these kinds of symptoms are not consistent with my gluten symptoms?

He had gluten symptoms before the bug, just not as steady and as severe. His D was periodic, some vomiting, cramping before. The bug is just a magnification of his previous symptoms.

Anyway, the D has stopped but he still has cramping and food isn't terribly attractive.

Now I have it. Feels like I ate Junior Mints. Yuck.

GottaSki Mentor

Darn it - hoping you both feel better very soon :)

mamaupupup Contributor

Feel better!

Archived