This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dishydrotic Eczema And Dh?

greenlady1

greenlady1 Newbie

In February, I self-diagnosed with DH, stopped eating gluten, and my itchy-scratchies have almost all gone away. I have an occasional break-out on my legs, but I know that it can take a long time to completely stop breaking out. The rash I was getting on my hands, which I believe to be Dishydrotic Eczema, has significantly reduced, but I am *still* breaking out all over my right hand and fingers, no reduction in those symptoms. So, is there a connection between Dishydrotic Eczema and DH, or is it something completely different? It seems like when one breakout goes away, another one starts. And of course, I had nasal/sinus surgery in July, so I was on prednisone for a few days, which suppressed the eczema. After I stopped the predisone, the eczema came back on my fingers in full force, just like what would happen with the DH. Any info/advice/help would be appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I have palmoplantar pustular psoriasis, which looks very much like your condition except the pustules look like whitehead pimples instead of clear blisters. It doesn't itch very much, but it hurts like the dickens. When I first went gluten-free I inadvertantly went corn free too. After a few weeks of missing bread I decided to make some gluten-free corn bread and my psoriasis, that had cleared up, suddenly flared worse than ever. That's when I knew I was also corn intolerant.

So I stopped all forms of corn (which was REALLY hard - corn is in everything!) Then I took Advil for an unrelated condition, and once again my psoriasis got worse. Well, Advil has corn starch in it, so I decided to get some BC Asperin Powder which has no fillers. It made my psoriasis worse once again, so I realized I was also salicylate sensitive. I avoided high sals foods, and finally my psoriasis healed.

When we first go gluten-free, other intolerances may rear their ugly heads. It took over a year of eating only 11 foods before I could slowly add back some of the foods I lost.

I suggest you stick to whole foods only, and if you can go organic that would be even better. Start with just a few foods, such as meat (well washed), veggies, and fruit. Read up on corn, salicylates, and any other types of foods you see mentioned here that give people problems, and avoid them. Once you start to heal, stick to only those foods that seem safe to you. Give your body time to heal, then after a few months, try adding one food back at a time.

Be sure to check out the thread "Newbie 101" for more ideas. And welcome to the board. Ask lots of questions and you will learn so much.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I have what I think is Dyshidrotic eczema on my pinkie.

It popped up after the flu in March. I vacillated on what it was...DH, irritation, Herpes Whitlow...

Well, it doesnt spread - whitlow out.

It can go away almost overnight - DH out (unless I'm on steroids, which I'm not).

It is sensitive to water and irritants like food (acidic foods, especially). I'm guessing eczema.

I started wearing a glove on that hand when I do dishes or cleaning, and when I chop food. If I'm vigilant, it almost disappears. But all it takes is one day of stupidity (cleaning bathroom, etc. without glove) and its back.

So, I don't know of its related to DH but eczema is an AI disease.

greenlady1 Newbie

Thanks for the information! Bartful, corn is in everything, isn't it! And when companies remove wheat as a filler from their food, they often put corn in as a substitute. Mark my words, corn will be the new wheat someday! I *try* to eat whole foods, but I'm super busy and have a natural aversion to cooking (it massively stresses me out!). I know, excuses... Hoping to have some time freed up and maybe teach myself how to cook, or take a cooking class. For now, I'll keep doing my best to not eat massively processed crapola, and hopefully when hubby finds a job, I can drop one of mine and have time to take care of myself a little better.

Pricklypear, I distinctly remember being in Seattle two years ago and eating crab legs. Whatever was in the water that the crabs were cooked in made my fingers itch soooooo badly. Also, I have to wear gloves when I clean. Bathroom cleaners man... those are the worst! So, seems like the eczema is not necessarily related to the DH.

And of course I wonder if I'm getting psoriasis on my fingers as well.... But, thankfully, the DH has practically gone away, so I'm super happy about that.

Anyways, thanks for the advice y'all :)

bartfull Rising Star

GreenLady, I know what you mean about cooking! I never liked to cook so I never learned how. But I do pretty well with simple stuff. I roast my meat in the oven or cook on the George Foreman grill. When I cook on the grill I use Uncle Ben's instant rice in the microwave. When I roast in the oven I throw some potatoes or sweet potatoes in the oven too. Then I put the meat and potato or meat and rice in a bowl with some finely chopped fresh broccoli or cauliflower and microwave it at work. I don't even steam the veggies first. They cook just fine in the micro while I am heating the rest. When I am eating rice, I also cube a bunch of cheddar cheese and mix that in with the rest. It's all pretty easy and quick, and it all tastes pretty good.

And the cool part is, there's not a lot of cleanup to do either. I roast the meat in disposable pans. (I know, I know, aluminum is not good for me.) The George Foreman (I know, I know, Teflon isn't good for me either.)is easy to clean when I use it. Bounty papaer towels. I wipe it really well with a dry towel first. Then I use a damp towel. Done! And at work I only have one bowl to wash.

I roast a lot of meat and potatoes at once, or cook a lot of rice at once if I'm not having potatoes. Then I mix everything together and put individual servings in ziplock bags and throw them in the freezer. That way I only have to cook once a week. Lazy? you bet! But I eat well (for me) and I don't have to spend much time in that strange room with all of those strage appliances at the other end of the house.

squirmingitch Veteran

If you like onions here's a nifty idea. Hubs & I LOVE them this way. When you're doing all that other stuff in the oven just take a small piece of tin foil & put it in the oven & take a couple of yellow onions & throw them on the foil. Don't skin them or anything. Just let them cook. Don't wrap them in the foil just let their skins BE the foil right? Then when they are done you can squeeze them from the root end & the cooked onion will pop out the stem end & viola'! YUM!

• 3 years later...
greenlady1 Newbie

I realize this is four years old and probably nobody is going to see this, but I happened upon this thread through a google search, and went, gee that's me!

Hilariously enough, I eliminated grains from my diet about 2 years ago, just as a temporary thing to cut out too many carbohydrates in my diet. Turns out, they irritate my Crohn's disease, and the Crohn's disease flares trigger the Dishydrotic Eczema. AND I'm now allergic to corn starch. So I don't eat grains at all anymore, save for a little rice flour here and there. That doesn't seem to bother me in small enough quantities. I still have a little eczema on my fingers, but it's NOTHING like what it was for so long. I can wear my wedding rings pretty much every day now :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, greenlady1 said:

I realize this is four years old and probably nobody is going to see this, but I happened upon this thread through a google search, and went, gee that's me!

Hilariously enough, I eliminated grains from my diet about 2 years ago, just as a temporary thing to cut out too many carbohydrates in my diet. Turns out, they irritate my Crohn's disease, and the Crohn's disease flares trigger the Dishydrotic Eczema. AND I'm now allergic to corn starch. So I don't eat grains at all anymore, save for a little rice flour here and there. That doesn't seem to bother me in small enough quantities. I still have a little eczema on my fingers, but it's NOTHING like what it was for so long. I can wear my wedding rings pretty much every day now :)

Glad to hear the up date!  ?

Archived