Leeloff

How Come Gluten Didnt Bother Me In Italy

Rate this topic

Interesting and very informative. I wasn't aware of this ingredient being used in America. I can certainly see how this could result in physical issues.  Maybe we should just be describing the problem differently. People who travel to Italy normally find that the food is easily digested without fluid building in the extremities indicating it was well received and digested by the body. My daughter and her husband leave soon for a long stay and have interviewed others who partook of the mentioned items with no reactions. A number of people related to me have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease and exercise eating  only gluten free pasta and bread. We have not experienced the symptoms noted when using these products. When we do revert back to wheat desserts etc. we suffer pain in the joints and swelling by the next day. There is a problem in the food products of the  US when so much of the public suffers from this disease. 

49 minutes ago, Conniear50 said:

Interesting and very informative. I wasn't aware of this ingredient being used in America. I can certainly see how this could result in physical issues.  Maybe we should just be describing the problem differently. People who travel to Italy normally find that the food is easily digested without fluid building in the extremities indicating it was well received and digested by the body. My daughter and her husband leave soon for a long stay and have interviewed others who partook of the mentioned items with no reactions. A number of people related to me have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease and exercise eating  only gluten free pasta and bread. We have not experienced the symptoms noted when using these products. When we do revert back to wheat desserts etc. we suffer pain in the joints and swelling by the next day. There is a problem in the food products of the  US when so much of the public suffers from this disease. 

Actually, Italy has just as many with Celiac as anywhere else about 1% of the population.  And they are advised to eat gluten-free.

https://viveresenzaglutine.com/celiac-disease-in-numbers-in-italy-and-worldwide/

“....t’s estimated that in Italy the number of people suffering from celiac disease (diagnosed or not) is about 1% of the population, ...l

“....In America, as in Australia, the percentage is always around 1%,...”

Edited by kareng

It is my understanding that much of the wheat crop in North America is sprayed with Roundup/glyphosate at harvest time to  aid drying of the grain. Glyphosate is banned in Europe. It is also to my understanding that Cuban wheat, which is organically grown is very low in gluten content. Glyphosate was designed to interfere with mineral absorbtion in plants, hence the use to kill weeds. Mineral absorbtion in humans and animals would be useful to consider since Glyphosate is ubiquitous in most commercial foods here in N.A. -  Glyphosate is also designed to need heavier and heavier applications and also designed to be used with seeds genetically made to withstand the high amounts. You would be correct to see the vicious circle in Monsanto's (now owned by Bayer/Germany) toxic and concerning design. Google has invested heavily and are in bed with pharmaceuticals recently having stripped much of their search info of non-toxic ways to healthful living. Please  pass it along. Thank you.

Edited by n_m
typo and clarity corrections, etc.

Alas, glyphosate is not banned in most of the EU and is still used in agriculture. It has been approved until 2022. Hopefully, it will not get an extension.

I am a European celiac, btw. I cannot eat anything with gluten, whichever country it may come from. I live in France and no, I cannot eat French baguette. I actually cross the street instead of passing by any boulangerie for fear of airborne gluten.