This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elisa Gluten Test Kit For Food

jmj0803

jmj0803 Apprentice

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried the Elisa gluten home test kit for food? If by chance you have, does it work on medication also? My daughter has been diagnosed for 7 months and I thought that I had removed all the gluten from her diet( boy was I wrong!!!!) her original TTg level was 106 now it is 142. I can't figure out what is the source of gluten, hence the reason for the test kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I am going to list most of the food I am giving her if anyone sees something suspicious please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Eggs

Lactaid milk, cheese and ice cream

glutino bagels

lays chips

fritos

perdue short cuts - original roasted flavor

frozen veges and fresh veges

fruit

heinz tomato soup

sanj wheat free tamari

A1 steak sauce

classico tomato sauce - tomato sauce

fleishmann's unsalted margarine

McCormick spices(confirmed by co. to be gluten free)

Centrum kids rugrats vitamins

planters peanuts/cashews

jetpuff marshmallows

Oscar mayer ready to serve bacon(the microwave kind)

Levoxyl - thyroid medicine

Flouride chewable tablet(this is suspect)

dum dum lollipops

dinty moore beef stew

All crackers and cookies are gluten free versions

shaws rice puffs(This is maybe once a month)

Mott's all natural apple sauce

Thank You everyone!!!

Jessica :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

How old is your daughter? Is there a possibility she could be eating some while you are not around?

jmj0803 Apprentice

My daughter is 7 years old. I thought that maybe she was at first, I don't think that now. She knows how serious this is. Also, I am around her a majority of the time and all the gluten containing food is up high, at 42 1/2 inches tall even with a chair she can't reach!

connole1056 Rookie

Are you certain the frozen vegetables are gluten-free? Are they plain, or do they have a sauce, or butter added that might contain gluten? Is there a possibilty of cross contamination at school or in another location that you are not with her? or maybe at home? Kitchen sponges for instance, can hold gluten so it is best to use separate sponges for gluten and non-gluten cleaning. Have you checked all the laundry supplies, soap and napkins/paper towels/kleenex, and nail polish, if she uses it? I am trying to think of everything I can to help, I do not mean to go on and on. I would reiterate the importance of not sneaking at home and trading snacks at school. Seven months is not long enough for a child's taste buds to "forget" what gluten foods taste like, so maybe she is sneaking and is afraid to tell you. Of course, some people may not understand the very real problems associated with giving your daughter gluten, and be giving her something you do not know about.

Merika Contributor

Where do you live? I'd suggest having someone from a local celiac support group come to your house and look at ALL the labels of food and see what's going on in your house.

I would also talk with the teachers and see if your dd is eating something at school or swapping lunches with someone.....just in case.....

Hope you get it figured out,

Merika

• 3 years later...
Woolygimp Contributor

get rid of the lays and fritos, for sure. they have some serous issues with cross contamination at the factory, and many other posters on this forum report getting glutened consistently when they eat those chips.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

I'd check the Centrum. When I called them (last Jan.) they said all of their children's chewables contained gluten. But that's been almost a year.

Are you sure on the A-1? I've never checked A-1, because my hubby was a Heinz 57 fan (which does contain gluten from malt or something, I can't remember).

I too would ditch the Lays and Fritos for awhile. At least until you get things figured out. And double check those items that are labelled gluten free. There are enough horror stories around here about people finding things with gluten labelled gluten free. And how about your kitchen. It sounds like you're in a mixed household. Could she be getting cross contamination accidently. And then of course there's the shampoos, lotions, etc.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this detective work. It's really tough. Last spring we thought my son was getting glutened. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out where it was coming from. I still don't know for sure what was up, but when he was tested he came back at 2.8 so we at least knew it wasn't gluten. I know you're frustrated, but hang in there. You'll find the culprit.

Best of luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Note that the original post and most of the thread is over 3 years old.

Archived