NewNicole

Kidney Stones Or Celiac

Rate this topic

Two nights ago I started getting sick. Both sides of my stomach and pain that radiates to my back. I originally thought it was my intestines but I'm wondering if it could be kidney stones. Yes I have had stones a few other times...I'm pretty lucky, huh. The pain is definitely intense. I'm really not standing much. I am taking Aleve which at least makes the pain a little more bareable. Although I'm pretty sure my husband would have died with this much pain. lol. Today I started my menstrual cycle so I suppose this could be a culprit. However for me I have been blessed with very mild ones my whole life and the pain I have seems to be too high to be ovary related. I don't think I got glutened but when I do it is a nasty pain. But I also become very tired and have headaches. None of which is happening this time. I don't want to go to a doctors because I am sick of being told to suck it up and move on. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there? Is it celiac or something else? And would you deal with the pain or go have it checked? Thanks for the input. PS.....can I just say thank you to everyone on here. It's nice to feel like someone listens, is willing to help, and might give you some input. Often times in the medical world the response is "it sucks to be you." lol

Nicole

Kidney stones are pretty common with Celiac. For the longest time my doctors just thought I was a stone maker because my uric acid levels were fine and I have had 6 kidney stones and they had found nothing else wrong with me. The in April of this year I was diagnosed and it all came together, since we don't absorb calcium like we should, so then it leaches out of our bones and makes kidney stones. I still have horrible pains and think they are kidney stones, so I end up the the ER and there is nothing there. I guess it's just me healing and I will have those pains randomly for who knows how long. If you are really worried, it couldn't hurt to get a CT scan to make sure that you do or do not have a stone. Sorry hun, I know it sucks. :(

That's very interesting. I didn't even think about the two being related like that. My mother has a lot of kidney issues. One of her kidneys is functioning at 35% with over 30 stones in it. Plus the other kidney has had a couple stones in it that has caused problem. Her father lost a kidney and the other one failed. With all of this plus my own history of kidney infections and kidney stones I have been a little worried about future issues. If Celiac disease is the cause of my issues than the gluten-free diet should help prevent some of these issues, right? That would be great news. Very encouraging. As for this time, I'm not too worried if it is a stone. I know the routine....drink, drink and drink some more. Thanks so much. This is great information.

Where is the pain located in your back? My mother thought it was just a part of her bad back and it turned out to be her appendix nearly bursting. When in doubt, i'd go in.

I've never had one, but i've had a gallbladder die on me so i know pain XD

Where is the pain located in your back? My mother thought it was just a part of her bad back and it turned out to be her appendix nearly bursting. When in doubt, i'd go in.

I've never had one, but i've had a gallbladder die on me so i know pain XD

Kidney stone pain also radiates into your back. Appendix pain and gallstone/gallbladder pain are very similar as well, also ovarian cysts feel around the same kind of pain as well. My Celiac pain feels just like my kidney stones/ovarian cysts and my moms co-worker had the same pains during her first year or so while healing as well. Just keep an eye out, and if you are in doubt, head to the ER, it never hurts :}

So I'm thinking I would have passed the stone by now if that was my problem. I may be wrong with that, but it sounds good to me. Lol. And I'm pretty sure the appendix is lower right quadrant. My pain is on both sides about 3 inches from the belly button and a lot of pain radiating to the back. It could be the cysts. I'm thinking that could be right or it's just my intestines. But for now the pain is still there, but it's a little more bare able . It's good to know you can still get these during the healing process. That means to me that I didn't get hit with gluten and it's probably not something too serious. Thanks for the help everyone.

Mmmm... a tid bit of info, my mothers appindix made her hurt in her lower back whilst my cousin's made her hurt on her left side, frountal area. Also, when my gallbladder went out on me i'd hurt everywhere from my belly button all the way around my back.

shadowicewolf, I suppose this is why it's so hard for the doctors to diagnose abdominal pain. It seems to vary from person to person plus the pain can radiate all over the body.

I am now in the process of getting tested for celiac disease. But I have had at least 100 oxalate kidney stones. (No kidding - 3 to 4 a year for almost 30 years.) I've had them zapped with a laser in the hospital 4 times, one time with complications where I had to stay a week. Plus a myriad of ER visits and stones passed on my own. The pain can radiate from the back all around into the abdomen. And sometimes it just stops, which usually means the stone just stopped moving down the ureter or within the kidney, so now it doesn't hurt for a while. When it starts to move again, it will hurt again. (As you know, "hurt" is a mild word. There's nothing to describe it...)

Getting a CT scan is a good idea if you have insurance and can afford it. That way you'll know what's there. Plus, stones that were already there may still be bothering you. You just won't make any more when you are off gluten. (Yeah!!!)

Good luck to you. I'm hoping to find out more about myself with an accurate diagnosis...