1desperateladysaved

Way Too Technical For Me Nutrition/anatomy Questions

Rate this topic

Which nutrients if any can be assimulated outside of the intestine?

Can vitamin D be used by the body without being absorbed by the intestine?

What nutrients are easiest to assimulate when the small intestine is damaged?

My first guess at this one is salt. A second is sugar; I think some can get to the blood from the mouth. However, these are my guesses or long term memory. I use to nearly faint in health class. Now when I am intensly interested I don't know much theory.

Is the reason many of us suffer from hypoglycemia simply because we can not absorb enough sugar? Is it likely we come out of this with a sweet tooth? If you can't get enough sugar; those sweets look like a quick fix.

Vitamin D is made by the skin in response to sunlight.

Some nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine, others in the stomach, others in the large intestine.

http://faculty.stcc.edu/AandP/AP/AP2pages/Units24to26/digestion/absorp.htm

http://www.shortbowelfoundation.org/index.php/education/2011-03-10-22-22-33

Vitamin B12 can be absorbed sublingually (under and on top of your tongue), and the sublingual variety is very inexpensive. Other vitamins and minerals can be absorbed transdermally (topically through the skin). Magnesium oil is easy to find, and it can be absorbed when applied topically. There are formulations on the internet with, I think, Vitamin E and other vitamins and minerals that can be purchased as oils for applying topically for absorption through the skin. Do a keyword search on transdermal vitamins and minerals.

Be careful with iron, though. When I was first diagnosed with celiac and realized that I couldn't absorb iron at all, I pulverized iron tablets and placed them under my tongue. Unfortunately, because my teeth were very decalcified from an inability to absorb calcium, my teeth absorbed the iron immediately....and turned black! It took many months for calcium to begin displacing the iron in the enamel, and my front teeth are still gray after eight years. My dentist tells me there's nothing he can do because the discoloration is within the enamel itself.

Vitamin B12 can be absorbed sublingually (under and on top of your tongue), and the sublingual variety is very inexpensive. Other vitamins and minerals can be absorbed transdermally (topically through the skin). Magnesium oil is easy to find, and it can be absorbed when applied topically. There are formulations on the internet with, I think, Vitamin E and other vitamins and minerals that can be purchased as oils for applying topically for absorption through the skin. Do a keyword search on transdermal vitamins and minerals.

Be careful with iron, though. When I was first diagnosed with celiac and realized that I couldn't absorb iron at all, I pulverized iron tablets and placed them under my tongue. Unfortunately, because my teeth were very decalcified from an inability to absorb calcium, my teeth absorbed the iron immediately....and turned black! It took many months for calcium to begin displacing the iron in the enamel, and my front teeth are still gray after eight years. My dentist tells me there's nothing he can do because the discoloration is within the enamel itself.

This is a nice bit of information on nutrient absorption. This is how to practically put the information to use. Thanks!

I don't have any enamel left on my teeth, they say, so I will be careful putting open iron capsules in.

Vitamin D is made by the skin in response to sunlight.

Some nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine, others in the stomach, others in the large intestine.

http://faculty.stcc.edu/AandP/AP/AP2pages/Units24to26/digestion/absorp.htm

http://www.shortbowelfoundation.org/index.php/education/2011-03-10-22-22-33

Here is my summary of the Shortbowelfoundation. org information. .

The Small intestine: from the part just after the stomach toward outside of body.

Duodenum: It uses enzymes to make food in small pieces after passing through the stomach. This is the part that absorbs iron.

2.Jejunum: It takes in nutrients which have passed throught the small intestine. It lets water and electrolytes pass freely to blood vessels.

3.Ileum: Here is where B12, biles salts, fluid, and electoytes is readied for the blood stream.

Of futher interest in this design. If the jejunal has a problem the ileum is able to do more of the work. However, if the ileum suffers major damage the jejenal will not be able to do the job as well.