FruitEnthusiast

Health/beauty Products

Rate this topic

I'm trying to check all my health and beauty products for possible gluten. I've seen a long list of ingredients somewhere that are not safe, but I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone know where I can find that list? Don't know if it was on this site or another one. It was a very long list of chemical names you find on shampoo etc. I don't see what I'm looking for in the info for newbies.

I've made a list of all my products, and finally have the courage to check them all, but I'm having brain fog and not getting anywhere after lots of searching.

Also I've seen a list of safe products, but can't find that either.

Hi Sara, I have thought it's about time I checked this out too. But I've not been able to find a list, either... Will keep searching

I know that there are a lot of posts on here to the contrary, and that doctors are sometimes wrong, but every scientific source I've read indicates that gluten must be ingested for it to cause a problem. So items applied to the lips may cause a reaction, but nearly any other healthy and beauty item should be safe.

If anyone has a medical source stating otherwise, I'd be interested to see it.

Products change, so you always need to read labels. It seems beauty products change more than food products, but that's my personal observation.

As far as a study regarding beauty products and gluten and Celiac I dont know of one.

I think the presumption that a beauty product WON'T be ingested is silly. Anything that gets on your hands - lotion, or drips into your mouth (or even eyes) - shampoo, conditioner, could potentially cause a reaction. As could an aerosol through inhalation - hair spray with wheat germ oil?

Some people also have skin type allergic reactions to gluten, which is different, but still apparently prevalent.

Personally, I developed swollen eyes after 2 months gluten-free from eye and face cream that contained gluten. I had used those creams for YEARS without a problem. Since then, I've screened all beauty products for gluten.

Something different works for everyone, but just consider how likely you are to transfer something onto your mucous membranes before you buy it.