megsybeth

Did Anyone Else Not Really Like Wheat?

Rate this topic

I was just wondering if others have always had an aversion to bread and other forms of wheat? I have been someone who slips the meat and cheese out of my sandwich because the bread just grosses me out, leaves pizza crusts for my husband to eat. I have always had a sweet tooth and so I like simple carbohydrates in any form, cake, white pasta, but I suspect it's just the sugar craving from being undernourished. If given a choice I've always been drawn to rice and potoatoes. When I stay with my inlaws in Germany I get so disgusted by all the bread they eat that I'm eating nothing by the time I leave.

Now that I have the celiac diagnosis (yesterday, so excuse the excessive posting on these boards!), I'm kind of glad I don't like wheat that much. But I'm just curious if this is common. I've always had a tendency to eat the same thing every day, like rice and beans, because I just crave that taste. Of course I would make myself be "healthy" by adding variety, like whole wheat pasta and wheat bread! :o

Is this common?

-Megan

I didn't have an aversion to bread, per se - though I was very picky about it. If it wasn't excellent, I didn't bother.

I did have an aversion to whole grains - barley, whole wheat breads, grainy breads...until I went to a more whole foods diet (you know, because it was HEALTHIER FOR ME...rolling my eyes). I had to force myself to eat whole grains.

So yeah, I found I wasn't a "bready" person, in retrospect.

But I did love sweets. Interestingly, I've figured out I preferred high fat sweets (I have found I have a blood glucose issue)...the fats modulated the sugar. Now I eat very few sweets but still prefer the fattier ones when I do.

I used to pick the meat out of my sandwiches, too. I usually ate the hamburger without the bun. My husband loves Italian food and I never got excited about going to Italian restaurants. I loved pizza but it always gave me a stomach ache so I figured it was probably from all the fat. Now I can eat a whole gluten-free pizza :) and feel fine! I did love warm bread when we went out to restaurants but I always got stomach aches when I went out to eat and never could figure out why....until I was diagnosed with Celiac disease.

It's been 4 years since I have been diagnosed and I keep realizing things that were different before I had celiac. My ankles used to hurt every morning when I got up (I thought I was getting old), I used to have bags under my eyes and just yesterday after accidentally eating something with gluten I realized that I used to be so embarrassed about my grumbling, very loud stomach which only happens now if I accidentally eat gluten.

I love rice and beans too and have always eaten a ton of rice. (Now I'm bummed about all the arsenic in it). Keep researching and talking to as many people as you can. Once you figure everything out, it's a very healthy lifestyle (if you don't eat too many gluten-free processed foods) and you'll notice that you feel a lot better.

I was just wondering if others have always had an aversion to bread and other forms of wheat? I have been someone who slips the meat and cheese out of my sandwich because the bread just grosses me out, leaves pizza crusts for my husband to eat. I have always had a sweet tooth and so I like simple carbohydrates in any form, cake, white pasta, but I suspect it's just the sugar craving from being undernourished. If given a choice I've always been drawn to rice and potoatoes. When I stay with my inlaws in Germany I get so disgusted by all the bread they eat that I'm eating nothing by the time I leave.

Now that I have the celiac diagnosis (yesterday, so excuse the excessive posting on these boards!), I'm kind of glad I don't like wheat that much. But I'm just curious if this is common. I've always had a tendency to eat the same thing every day, like rice and beans, because I just crave that taste. Of course I would make myself be "healthy" by adding variety, like whole wheat pasta and wheat bread! :o

Is this common?

-Megan

I always loved good breads and pastries. Loved them--the smell, the taste..... And I always thought that it was the butter, nuts, cheese, whatever was on the baked good that made me sick. I never, ever thought it could be the breads, etc. I was raised with the notion that crackers, toast, and oatmeal would soothe my stomach.

Oye :(

I have always ordered a hot dog "hold the bun". Yup, never cared for bread, pastas or beer. Guess I'm lucky! ;)

never cared for bread, pastas or beer. Guess I'm lucky! ;)

Yes you are! I could have lived on them :lol:

My kids claim they grew up deprived. I could never stand the smell of donuts in the house.....ewwwwwww. :rolleyes:

My kids claim they grew up deprived. I could never stand the smell of donuts in the house.....ewwwwwww. :rolleyes:

To this day, the smell of donuts makes my mouth water :ph34r:

Mmmmm... donuts.

My Mom who probably had celiac all of her life never liked bread. She wasn't even that fond of cake and cookies. She loved vegetables and would have seconds on them for "dessert".

I always loved bread though. But I noticed when I was in my 20's (I'm in my late 50's now) that anything whole wheat gave me heartburn so I always avoided it. I never cared for other baked goods though. Couldn't stand cake and cookies, but I think that's because they were sweet. I would always ask to have my last pancake with just butter because I needed to wash the taste of maple syrup out of my mouth. And when we had strawberry shortcake, I'd always have a buttered biscuit afterward to get the sweet taste of the strawberries out of my mouth.

And except for lasagna, I never liked pasta either. Could be because spaghetti was my Dad's favorite so we had it often. I always had just meatballs after spaghetti to get the taste of the pasta out of my mouth.

I didn't consciously avoid bread, and I enjoyed some bready things (cake, brownies, doughnuts - the healthy stuff, LOL). But looking back, I can see a slow trend away from wheat. I was eating more and more rice and potatoes. Whenever we went out to eat, I tended to get dishes that were big slabs of meat with potatoes, rice, or salads, and wanted to avoid all the 'healthy' delis and sandwich shops that my family wanted to go to.

I had forgotten until recently how my husband had been complaining the few years before the diagnosis how we never seemed to eat 'American' food anymore, we were always eating Asian and African dishes.

I just could not figure out the attraction of beer, or why in the world anyone would willingly drink such a thing. I have heard beer described as liquid bread. I tried drinking fake non alcoholic beer for awhile, as a young adult, which is worse. Of course, in restaurants now, when the waiter will say, "Oh, we have Redbridge! Would you like that with your meal?" I have to give them a sad look and admit I don't like beer.

In terms of cereals, in retrospect, I ate a lot of corn flakes. And granola made with a lot of non wheat ingredients. We also ate a lot of cornbread. It is hard today to find cornmeal that isn't messed up. I also ate oats, so it surprised me to have oats start to bother me after being gluten free for years. I also preferred sour dough bread, which I subsequently learned is slightly easier to digest because of fermentation.

But as for the other stuff, I was guilty of baking it. :P