This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

? About Peanuts/peanut Butter?

kimber

kimber Enthusiast

Hi

My 23mnth old hasn't been officially tested but based on his history, symptoms and a food diary (as well as DH's symptoms and reaction to wheat) I have decided to try him on a gluten-free diet and talk to the ped at his 2yr check up in oct..I also understand testing at this age can be iffy

he had a skin allergy tested and tested neg to wheat (+ to dairy and soy though?)

Anyway he has been doing GREAT on the gluten-free diet after only 2 weeks, better naps, more well rested looking, more energy, much better mood etc

I wanted to pick up some new foods for him and he loves cookies..who doesn't

So, I picked up pamela's pb cookies...they are the only new thing I added to his diet and he has been a fuss pot again ever since....VERY moody, dark circles etc

Are there any other foods besides wheat etc that I should be concerned about...could it be the PB?

I thought I was told by the ped if he had an allergy to PB it would be a severe reaction and no one in my family has a peanut allergy

He is eating lots of fruit, banana, apples, grapes as well as potatoes, meats etc

He really isn't eating anything else processed?

Any thoughts appreciated..

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Merika Contributor

Hi,

First, a person may NOT have a wheat allergy and yet still have celiac. I test neg. for wheat too, but test positive for celiac (celiac is not an allergy). The possible soy and dairy allergies are in line with having celiac.....

Personally, most of Pamela's products make me sick. I'm not sure what it is in them...my mom can't eat them either (celiac too). I do still eat them sometimes, and often I'm ok with the first one, but if I eat a second or have them several days in a row I start to feel bad. It doesn't matter which kind of cookie either, they all do it to me. And it is frustrating, because I've read the ingredients a million times and can't figure out what it could be!

Of course, your ds *could* still be allergic to something in them, or to something else he's eating, or he may have come into contact with gluten. Are your lotions and hair products gluten-free? Kids get everything in their mouths...If you can't find any gluten culprits, leave out the pamela's for a while, see if things calm down with your ds, and then feed him one (like a month later). If it happens again, you'll know it's the pamela's.

Hth,

Merika

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

This is a link to a pb cookie recipe that is soooo super easy. I used real sugar because I think the fake stuff in unhealthy. This recipe is great for kids to help out with. Makes lots of cookies and they taste great. Love this recipe. Thankyou to the person who posted it. I've made dozens of cookies with it....BUT I add chopped chocolate bits to it. :P

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I have to second that cookie recipe you listed.......this is my FAV cookie recipe. I can whip up a batch in no time flat, and they are impossible to mess up (which is important for non bakers like me!). I also used regular sugar instead. These are also cheaper to make than buying a mix, which is always a plus!

kimber Enthusiast

Thanks ladies for the recipe..I'm going to give it a try!~

Kim :lol:

hez Enthusiast

I would also look into the possiblility of a peanut allergy. My friend's son has a peanut allergy. When he was little and would have peanut butter the reaction was very mild (congestion, redness around the mouth). Now 3 years later the reaction is much more serious (trip to hospital).

Archived