This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Eating Out In Iowa

Aightball

Aightball Apprentice

Hey all :)

I'm having fun *not* contacting so many of the resturants and then being told that they have gluten-free items, but it's on shared machines.

I live in podunk Iowa, but where are places in Iowa to eat? We have a local chinese place, though I've never tried it...Ive had good luck at Hardee's and Wendy's. Also, a local resturant has things that I can have. I do get to omaha and ames a lot...

But what about national chains? Chili's, Perkins, Taco Johns, McD's, BK, Applebee's, Old Chicago, and the like. In town we don't have much, but I do travel and the town I work in has more places to eat. Plus, the bigger towns. Hoping I do't have to give up Olive Garden :). I am allergic to all dairy (whey, casein, ect, milk, ect), and intolerant to gluten/wheat.

-Kel

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tbell48 Newbie

Kel,

I am new to this too. A group of gal friends went out to eat at Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano the other day. Thinking I would be eating my usual salad, was I surprised when our greeter told me the chef could make almost anything on the menu gluten-free. Boy, did I have fun eating for a change. Some of the gals in my group, looking out for me, said should you be eating that?

Also, I have found the most wonderful bread, pizza, hot dog and hamburger mix.

It is Manna from Anna. It is made in Iowa City-and new to the market. It makes wonderful sandwiches, and toasts great! Here is her website:

www.glutenevolution.com

I am so glad to hear from someone from Iowa. I was beginning to think I was the only one!

I have one more question for everyone. What does everyone do for communion at their churches? At first I was igorning the bread, but I don't feel that is right. Help Theresa

• 2 weeks later...
Dwight Senne Rookie

Hello fellow Iowans! That is great news about Biaggi's!! Thanks!

In Des Moines, there is a place called Noah's Ark that makes the absolute BEST gluten free pizza!!

Here in the CR area, the local Godfathers will make a gluten free pizza if you call ahead, but it isn't near as good as Noah's Ark! I have also had good luck at Lone Star Steakhouse by ordering a plain steak with no seasonings, baked potato and steamed vegetables. Of course Outback is always great too!

There is a place called the Atlas World Grille in Iowa City that is supposed to be serving gluten-free items, but I haven't tried it yet.

• 1 year later...
SharonF Contributor

Hello fellow Iowans! Iowa Citian here.

Holy cow, I had no idea about Biaggis! (Too bad I can't really afford to eat there, anyway.)

The Godfathers in Iowa City will also make a gluten-free pizza if you call the day before.

I go to Perkins often and get scrambled eggs and hash browns. Sometimes if I tell them I can't have to the toast/muffin they give me fruit instead.

I also went to Olive Garden once and was given the menu--it was pretty limited, but there were a couple of items. Steak and pork, if I remember right.

I know someone posted a Chilis list in this forum a while bake, which I was surprised to see contained the potato soup.

I'm hesitant about Chinese places, because I worry there will be a language barrier. I hope to get to PF Chang's next time I'm in Des Moines, though.

Guest gfinnebraska

"What does everyone do for communion at their churches? At first I was igorning the bread, but I don't feel that is right. Help Theresa"

Theresa ~ I just skip it. I always feel a little awkward, but I figure 1/2 of communion is better than none at all. I take the "wine"... most people in my church realize why I can't have the bread, and it isn't an issue. I figure God understands as well. ;)

Katydid Apprentice

:)So great to hear about Biaggi's...we'll have to try it as we live in Des Moines. Of course, the is PF Chang's and Outback, but they are always so busy and very expensive.

My husband is the celiac and he is about as sensitve as they come. He also cannot tollerate MSG and TBHQ. He eats at Wendy's for their Chili and Baked Potato and McDonald's for french fies and gets along ok. We have a few restaurants in Des Moines where he knows he can get a safe steak and baked potato, Other than that, we eat at home.

BAD NEWS! Unfortunately, Noahs in Des Moines no longer serves gluten free food.

GOOD NEWS! The only reason Noahs used to serve gluten-free food is because their manager, Una, is celiac. But guess what, she is opening her very own new gluten free restaurant at about 63rd and Grand (on 63rd just south of Grand) Its in the area next to Long John Silvers and it will be called "BEYOND THE GRAIN" It will be totally gluten free. Tell all the Iowa Celiacs you know as I'm sure Una will appreciate it. And that pizza that was mentioned at Noahs, it was hers and she will have it at her place.

We can hardly wait...she is due to open just about any time. Our support group in Des Moines is big enough, we may be able to keep her busy, BUT SPREAD THE WORD, ANYWAY. Even though it is gluten free, she is such a great cook that non-gluten-free folks will truly enjoy it as well.

Can't believe you are from Iowa...first time I've met one on this forum.

• 1 year later...
katie55 Newbie

I also live in Iowa and have found quite a few places to eat! Places that have gluten-free menus that I know of are Biaggi's, P.F. Changs, Mondo's, Carlos 'O Kellys, GodFather's, Outback, Lonestar, Texas Roadhouse, and Brown Bottle off the top of my head.

I have also gone to Olive Garden and The Cheesecake Factory and they have offered to cook gluten-free pasta for me! :)

I've done quite a bit of searching on the web and have found a list of fast food restaurants that have allergen guides. Wendy's, BK, Culver's, McDonald's, and Arby's are the ones that I've found. I also read that McDonald's french fries DO have gluten.

And there is a place to order gluten-free communion wafers! My pastor was going to order them for me.

-Kate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katrinamaria Explorer

hey iowans!!

i think most everything has been touched on... i've been to "beyond the grain" a few times and recommend it VERY MUCH. it was amazing to be able to walk in and order virtually anything and know it was safe. also VERY delicious. i think there are many things that are dairy-free also.

i also love pf chang's, some say it's expensive but i'm a vegetarian and usually just get the garlic sauteed snap peas and the rice comes with. very good and enough to fill me...but i usually get the chocolate dome anyway cause it's so good. so i don't think it's outrageous for good gluten-free food.

if you're from the cedar falls/waterloo area, pm or email me or something, i might be able to help you a little more specifically.

also, if any of you can eat dairy, def try the van harden cheese crust pizza...O M G!!!! AMAZING. that's all i have to say about it :) available at most hy-vee stores in IA.

hope you all are enjoying the lovely ice storm we are having... ;) took me 45 minutes to get into my car yesterday! ah! haha

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
Kel,

I am new to this too. A group of gal friends went out to eat at Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano the other day. Thinking I would be eating my usual salad, was I surprised when our greeter told me the chef could make almost anything on the menu gluten-free. Boy, did I have fun eating for a change. Some of the gals in my group, looking out for me, said should you be eating that?

Also, I have found the most wonderful bread, pizza, hot dog and hamburger mix.

It is Manna from Anna. It is made in Iowa City-and new to the market. It makes wonderful sandwiches, and toasts great! Here is her website:

www.glutenevolution.com

I am so glad to hear from someone from Iowa. I was beginning to think I was the only one!

I have one more question for everyone. What does everyone do for communion at their churches? At first I was igorning the bread, but I don't feel that is right. Help Theresa

My Grandmother goes to a church in Anamosa Iowa. They order gluten-free comunion waffers for her and some other memebers of her church with celiac. They are available and your church should be able to order them for you.

Corsicana Grandma Rookie
"What does everyone do for communion at their churches? At first I was igorning the bread, but I don't feel that is right. Help Theresa"

Theresa ~ I just skip it. I always feel a little awkward, but I figure 1/2 of communion is better than none at all. I take the "wine"... most people in my church realize why I can't have the bread, and it isn't an issue. I figure God understands as well. ;)

I just take a small piece of rice cracker with me.

Corsicana Grandma

• 3 weeks later...
infiore Rookie
hey iowans!!

i think most everything has been touched on... i've been to "beyond the grain" a few times and recommend it VERY MUCH. it was amazing to be able to walk in and order virtually anything and know it was safe. also VERY delicious. i think there are many things that are dairy-free also.

i also love pf chang's, some say it's expensive but i'm a vegetarian and usually just get the garlic sauteed snap peas and the rice comes with. very good and enough to fill me...but i usually get the chocolate dome anyway cause it's so good. so i don't think it's outrageous for good gluten-free food.

if you're from the cedar falls/waterloo area, pm or email me or something, i might be able to help you a little more specifically.

also, if any of you can eat dairy, def try the van harden cheese crust pizza...O M G!!!! AMAZING. that's all i have to say about it :) available at most hy-vee stores in IA.

hope you all are enjoying the lovely ice storm we are having... ;) took me 45 minutes to get into my car yesterday! ah! haha

Katrinamaria... Hi :) We are from Waverly (10 min north of Cedar Falls). My daughter is gluten sensitive, she's 5 yrs old. Any ideas you have for good gluten-free food or places to take her would be appreciated. How long have you been gluten free? Thanks. How did you like yesterday, over 70 degrees... yeah, spring!

princessfuzzball Rookie

All of you are my heros. My fiancee lives in Waterloo, and I'm from Chicago. When I go out to stay with him, I usually wind up doing a LOT of cooking, because I avoid fastfood like the plauge- Im allergic to corn, and soy, not to mention fish, and peanuts....

I love the healthfood section at the Hyvees, once I spotted that, I was set, but now, I know that I can go out! Horray! (even better because our anniversary is coming up, and I'd like to be able to go out to dinner, someplace!)

<3's all around!

Jill

jerseygrl Explorer

Well this is a little coincidental. My name is Kellie too, and I just got back from poduck Iowa! Sadly, my MIL passed away

suddently in Lakota, and we all had to scurry to pack in 12 hours. My daughters are the anti-gluten ones. So it was not

fun trying to prepare food for them on an old farm house in the middle of nowhere. I did stop at Whole Foods in Minneapolis

before we drove to iowa and that helped a little.

I really sympathize with your situation. This is off the subject a bit, but several months ago my MIL sent an article about a

celiac radio DJ in Iowa that is marketing his new Corn Pizza crust. Available only at HyVee I think. Cant remember what it is

called now, but I wondered if any of you have tasted it, and what you thought. I think I can order it on-line, if I can

remember the name of it :P

jerseygrl Explorer

Ah, just saw post #12. Van Harden, THAT's IT!

Open Original Shared Link

To order --

Open Original Shared Link

:D :D :DB):DB):D

Archived