bonsais

Candy Causing Irritated Throat

Rate this topic

I left work today after ingesting some candy a co-worker brought in to share from her trip to Orlando. Possibly some may have been coated with a gluten substance that prevents candy from becoming sticky. My throat became irritated and I started coughing. My eyes became watery then I got a headache. Later I ended up in the pottie room!

Be careful with what looks tasty and innocent!!!!! Anyone else have this happen to them?

The candy might have contained gluten in the form of malted barley, a sweetener. It is highly unlikely to have been coated in gluten. Gluten is sticky--using it would have to opposite of the desired effect. I have seen finely powdered sugar used that way.

The candy might have contained gluten in the form of malted barley, a sweetener. It is highly unlikely to have been coated in gluten. Gluten is sticky--using it would have to opposite of the desired effect. I have seen finely powdered sugar used that way.

Yes, that's a high possibility. Some candies are manufactured on machinery that may have a powdery substance used to keep the candy itself from becoming sticky such as a flour base? If that's not the case these days any longer than perhaps the barley is the issue. Thank you!

Brachs candy was a no no a few years ago too.

No, flour would not work--when damp it gets sticky. Cornstarch is possible, but the most likely candidate would be cellulose powder. It imparts no flavor and is allergen-free.

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 10 years ago and have been gluten free ever since. My #1 rule is that if I can't read the label, it doesn't go in my mouth. I've passed up a lot of yummy looking candy over the years because there wasn't a label or I didn't know 100% for sure that it was okay. It just too long to recover from a transgression.

Terry

• Upvote 1