Scott Adams

Dining options limited for students with celiac disease - College Heights Herald

Rate this topic

Dining options limited for students with celiac disease

College Heights Herald

WKU senior Dora James of Hartford was diagnosed with Celiac disease when she was 16 years old. While living on campus during her first 2 years at WKU, James had to use meal plans and had limited options for meals. "I got so sick of eating salad during ...

View the full article

Some places are netter than others, but I work at a large university and I can't imagine trying to eat every meal in the dining halls. Even with items that are supposed to be gluten-free, not only do you have to worry about CC, but sometimes they run out of an ingredient and have to make an adjustment mid-meal. A smaller place that's willing to work with you might be better.

richard

My son said Colorado State dorm was very good about gluten-free food. At the deli sandwich line - off with the gloves, hands washed, a purple "tray" comes out, then the wrapper paper, then the gluten-free bread and toppings from a special place. gluten-free food on the line is not mixed up with other food or utensils. Many packaged gluten-free snacks that everyone can eat - fruit snacks, chips, etc. Everyone can have the main foods labelled gluten-free. The flourless choc cake is a favorite for everyone.

He talked with several girls getting gluten-free food. All told him they never got sick from it. So a good gluten-free food program may be a way to meet girls, too!