Guest The Weasel

Support Groups Near Pittsburgh?

Rate this topic

Guest The Weasel

I live about twenty five minutes south-west of Pittsburgh. I am interested in knowing if there are any good support groups in the area. I don't really like to travel too far into the down-town area but if I have to I will. I was diagnosed about a year ago but had been ignoring it for a while and have recently started to try and go gluten/wheat free but found it very hard as resources are limited and expensive. It'd be nice to meet or hear from some other people in the area.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I live about twenty five minutes south-west of Pittsburgh.  I am interested in knowing if there are any good support groups in the area.  I don't really like to travel too far into the down-town area but if I have to I will.  I was diagnosed about a year ago but had been ignoring it for a while and have recently started to try and go gluten/wheat free but found it very hard as resources are limited and expensive.  It'd be nice to meet or hear from some other people in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, "Weasel"! I haven't been formally diagnosed but only this past week had bloodwork done after I approached my doctor with my suspicions (bless him for not just shoving my gut instinct -- no pun intended! -- aside!). Anyway, I do know of one group in the Pittsburgh area. If you're not already familiar with them, you can check them out at http://www.pittsburghceliacs.org/ . I do believe there is a $20 annual fee if you wish to become a member. I don't know if they have official meetings, but they do list some events on their calendar. I will definitely be doing more investigating if my tests come out positive, and even if they don't, since I may be at least doing a gluten-free trial (and more than a trial if I get good results, mainly the return of my missing energy!).

I am in the Bethel Park area, more directly south of Pittsburgh than SW. Are you anywhere nearby?

Best of luck to you,

Debbbie

P.S. Don't like driving downtown? I don't blame you! (But I have to do it sometimes and have gotten a little used to it.)

Guest The Weasel
Hi, "Weasel"!  I haven't been formally diagnosed but only this past week had bloodwork done after I approached my doctor with my suspicions (bless him for not just shoving my gut instinct -- no pun intended! -- aside!).  Anyway, I do know of one group in the Pittsburgh area.  If you're not already familiar with them, you can check them out at http://www.pittsburghceliacs.org/ .  I do believe there is a $20 annual fee if you wish to become a member.  I don't know if they have official meetings, but they do list some events on their calendar.  I will definitely be doing more investigating if my tests come out positive, and even if they don't, since I may be at least doing a gluten-free trial (and more than a trial if I get good results, mainly the return of my missing energy!).

I am in the Bethel Park area, more directly south of Pittsburgh than SW.  Are you anywhere nearby?

Best of luck to you,

Debbbie

P.S.  Don't like driving downtown?  I don't blame you!  (But I have to do it sometimes and have gotten a little used to it.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know where Bethel Park is! I know two people who live there. It's about....45 minutes from me, but that's because I drive out the parkway and up through the Liberty Tubes instead of going out 70 (which I've heard they have some way to do it that way). It's not that I don't like driving downtown, it's just that I don't like having to look for parking and then walk a mile to where I have to go. I'm lazy like that when it's hot and humid outside and it's usually pretty humid downtown because of all the traffic and everything. I usually only ever drive to Oakland, South Side, Shady Side, and Squirrel Hill. However, I do go to the East End Food Co-Op in Point Breeze (lovely selection of gluten-free/WF foods). There are quite a few others I shop at too if you ever want any information or ideas. It was hard for me to find places that sold safe stuff at first.

Anyway, yeah I've had the blood test more than once and it came back positive. I have not had the other test and there's basically no talking me into it so it's pointless. Which is why I've had the blood test done more than once. I've also had a rash (DH) identical to one of my friends online who has celiac.

Thank you for the information and the website, I'll definitely look into it. And good luck with your tests! I hope all goes well.

angelsea~ thanks for the info! i'm originally from South Park, & i've been living in lancaster county (where it is very hard to get a lot of support), but i am moving back to the 'burgh (yay!). so thanks again for the info & website.

Gabby

angelsea~ thanks for the info!  i'm originally from South Park, & i've been living in lancaster county (where it is very hard to get a lot of support), but i am moving back to the 'burgh (yay!).  so thanks again for the info & website.

Gabby

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, it's good to hear that someone appreciates Pittsburgh! (Although I've liked what I've seen of Lancaster Co. when I've been there. But I guess I like the excitement of having more "city stuff" around to do.) I lived in Atlanta for a bit over a year and missed the stuff around here (I'm a native of SW PA) (yep, the snow, too!). But now I find that I miss some things about living near Atlanta!

So, you probably know, then, that I live practically next door to South Park. I think the lady who heads up the Pgh support group lives in that area.

Good luck with the move, whenever that happens.

Ads by Google:

I know where Bethel Park is!  I know two people who live there.  It's about....45 minutes from me, but that's because I drive out the parkway and up through the Liberty Tubes instead of going out 70 (which I've heard they have some way to do it that way).  It's not that I don't like driving downtown, it's just that I don't like having to look for parking and then walk a mile to where I have to go.  I'm lazy like that when it's hot and humid outside and it's usually pretty humid downtown because of all the traffic and everything.  I usually only ever drive to Oakland, South Side, Shady Side, and Squirrel Hill.  However, I do go to the East End Food Co-Op in Point Breeze (lovely selection of gluten-free/WF foods).  There are quite a few others I shop at too if you ever want any information or ideas.  It was hard for me to find places that sold safe stuff at first.

Anyway, yeah I've had the blood test more than once and it came back positive.  I have not had the other test and there's basically no talking me into it so it's pointless.  Which is why I've had the blood test done more than once.  I've also had a rash  (DH) identical to one of my friends online who has celiac.

Thank you for the information and the website, I'll definitely look into it.  And good luck with your tests!  I hope all goes well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're welcome! I hope you find the support you need.

OK, it sounds like you live out (well, "out" for where I am!) around New Stanton or Greensburg? I have my favorite way to go when I go out in that direction, but it does sound like coming in on the Parkway would make more sense when you're going to Oakland and such (um, don't even ask how many times I've made a trip to Children's Hospital!). I'm originally from around the Charleroi and California areas of Washington County, not all that far from where I am now.

Even though I'm not attempting to go gluten-free YET (for one thing, just in case more testing is needed, which I HOPE isn't), I'm kind of gearing up to start one of these days soon and need to get as much info as possible on sources. One that's not to far for me, but almost definitely would be for you (unless you enjoy a drive) is Sunnybridge Natual Foods in McMurray. They do have a website: http://www.sunnybridgenaturalfoods.com/ . You might possibly poke around the site sometime and find an event that you might be interested in.

Well, I've got a 14 year old who is dying to get on this computer before she has to go to bed. Just shows you your fantasies of growing up to always be the boss don't necessarily come true!

I live in Beaver County (Economy Borough) and wanted to say thanks for the website! I actually met a cook at Eat N' Park today who gave me his card and he is going to let me know of support group meetings that occur in Monroeville. I will travel anywhere to get help at this point!!! Once I get the info. I will pass it along to you guys.

Also, Eat N' Park now has a gluten-free menu.

Melanie

Hi! I live in the North Hills (McCandless Township)! And I didn't know that Eat'n'Park (my kids call it "Eat'n'Barf") had a gluten free menu--thanks for the info! Outback Steakhouse also has a gluten-free menu.

I've been substituting corn tortillas for bread (sandwiches), and a mix of cornstarch and corn meal for flour (to make sauces, etc.)--does that help you at all? I've always done a lot of "from scratch" cooking, so it's not too hard, just a substitution of ingredients. And we eat a ton of rice at our house (my husband is Japanese-American). I do miss cereal, though (sigh).

Congratulations, Melanie!

Guest GF-Av8r

Hi, I live in Hampton towship was diagnosed celiac 3 weeks ago. I wanted to let you know that Bravo on McKnight Rd is extemely friendly. I sent an email to the corporate office to get a gluten free menu, and while they do not have a gluten-free menu, Chef Norm is fantastic. He called and left a message on my machine 2 days in a row until he reached me. He offered to keep gluten-free pasta on hand and listed everything that was safe for me to eat there, as well as offered different ways to alter dishes so that I could enjoy them. Needless to say, my wife and I went out to eat there and Chef Norm came to our table and went over everything with us, answered our questions, and brought out portions of our meal as well as checking with us afterwards to make sure everything was allright. I can't say enough good things about Chef Norm and Bravo. You also might like to know that the GNC up on Rt 8 at 910 (Richland) also has a significant gluten-free section and even has gluten-free frozen Pizza crust and gluten-free frozen pizza, the manager there is also super friendly and understanding of our delima.

Allen

I too, live in Economy Borough...and am very excited to learn that Bravo's in the North Hills is so helpful. I will call this weekend. My fiance lives in Shaler and that is my favorite restaurant...one that would be missed. I have heard that the one near the Galleria stocks rice pasta...now just to find out if the bolognese sauce is gluten free.

Ads by Google:

Hi Kokopelli

I live in Butler. It's nice to see a few on here from this area> How long have you been wf/gluten-free?

mamaw

Hi, gluten-free-AV8r, looks like there's a bunch of us up North. Mamaw is just up the road from you, and I'm just down the road!

I never would have dreamed that Bravo did anything gluten-free--that used to be my favorite restaurant in my pre-gluten-free days! I'll have to check it out--I only live a couple of miles from it! Thanks so much for the info!

(edit) apologies to GFAV8r--this computer keeps printing out "gluten-free" every time I try to type in Gee Eff!

Hi mamaw,

I'm very new to this...I've been gluten free for about 2 weeks. Doing good so far...already been to Outback and Eat 'n Park. :-) It's so helpful to read about other's experiences.

On another note...I talked to Atria's today on the phone...while most of their sauces have a base that contains wheat...they can make any protein (chicken, fish, and/or steak - their steak is great!) to be gluten free. The chef said to let them know when we got there and they would help select something gluten free.

hello all

i am in aspinwall,

gluten-free since early december...and what a difference it has made!

pf chang's has a gluten-free menu as well,

i find that following a strict paleo diet, i am becoming a powerhouse...i feel great!

Hello to all Pittsburgher's!!!!!!

I just found out that there is a Mitchell"s Fish Place at the Waterfront.....

What all are you eating at Eat n Park?????/ I have had the potato soup as I was told that the thickner is corn starch.....I also do the grilled chicken and fish with nothing added to it.... I used to eat the fries but the last couple of times I didn't feel to good after......

Patricia--- do you shop at the market in Oatmont for your gluten-free foods? I was there about a year ago and they didn't have a lot but then I seen they had a gluten-free sampling about a month ago. I missed that too.

I have tried to get Giant Eagle to stock more variety but the girl who orders from for the natural food basket thought they carried plenty of gluten-free stuff. I asked her if she new much about gluten-free and she said NO but didn't seem to want to hear about all the good foods they don't stock. I really would love to start a gluten-free store and put a order by phone delivery system..... Anyone interested in starting a gluten-free on wheels business????

There is a Shop n Save in Hermitage, Pa that has asked me for some input so I think they are interested in finding out what's good and what's not. It's still an hour for me to there.......

We all need to meet up sometime..........

mamaw

There is a Shop n Save in Hermitage, Pa that has asked me for some input so I think they are interested in finding out what's good and what's not. It's still an hour for me to there.......

mamaw- you must be local to me! i live in Greenville. i get most of my stuff from shop n save. the selection of stores in greenville gets me nowhere- walmart and giant eagle... theres also Muscarella's in hermitage that carries gluten-free foods. i shop there sometimes too. are there any other places that you have found that may possibly be somewhat local for me?

There's a store on Banksville (in the South Hills, about 10 minutes from downtown) in the Kuhn's Plaza--they stock a TON of gluten-free stuff, including frozen Kinnikinnick stuff, although the whiute sandwich bread is so good, I'm going to order it direct by the case if I can). I can't remember their name, but if you go to the Kinnikinnick website, you can find who stocks their stuff, and that's how I found the store.

im glad i found this post! although i live over an hour north of pittsburgh, my sister lives on the southside. im keeping a list so next time i go to visit i can check some of these places out! thanks everyone!

Hi Rache

I live in Butler but my husband drives to hermitage everyday to work. I'm planning on being up there alot this summer .... Do you have a support group up there? I heard you did. I met a female dentist at the Columbus thing last year....I go to Dr Kerry in Greenville.......

How long have you been gluten-free?

I shop alot at Sunnybridge in McMurray which is on RT19, it takes me about an hour going down 79 to get there. Plus Whole Foods is near East Liberty.Herbalishes (I slaughtered the name) is in Mt. Pleasant Pa. If you have a note from a doctor they will give you a starter pkg.. and Sunnybridge offers 10% off with a doctors note stating you are gluten-free.

Cindy's in Ohio also has gluten-free. Canton Ohio has a great store called the raisin rack. I love that store....

Where is the other store located in hermitage? Is it near the Sns?I don't know where much is up there except for Quaker steak & lube and Kranyak's....

mamaw

Pm me anytime

Anyone know the name of the store on Banksville Rd???

Rache

Sorry I asked how long you were gluten-free and I seen my answer after I sent you the message!!!!!

mamaw

mamaw- i sent you a PM, i hope it went through- my internet is being stubborn today!!

Ads by Google:

Hello All.

I am fairly new to Pittsburgh. (I live near CMU). Moved here after living in Atlanta for about 8 years. New to the area, not new to the diet. I've been gluten-free for about 7+ years and have lots of celiac family members. I would definitely be interested in meeting some others in the area. I was very involved in the Atlanta support group and even organized a successful vendor fair. I really miss getting together with fellow celiacs. Additionally, in the interest of full disclosure, I do run a gluten-free food business and am always willing to answer any questions people (particularly newly diagnosed) may have.

Kim.

Hi Kim

welcome to the area, I hope you like it here. I live in Butler north of Pgh). You mentioned running a gluten-free food business can you tell us what you sell ? Do you have a storefront business or what type of business????? I wanted to do a gluten-free get-to-gather also.... It seems that there are not many from this area in this group. A handful of us it seems but we all seem very nice!!!!!!

You can pm me if you like. I've been gluten-free going on about four years now.

mamaw

oops I forgot . do you attend CMU?

Thanks, I do like it here. Everyone is very friendly. I don't attend CMU, I just liked the area -- always something going on and a very diverse place to live.

My family's business is 1-2-3 Gluten Free, Inc. -- we sell premium baking mixes. (www.123glutenfree.com ) and are in stores (in fact, some of the stores people named in earlier posts have our products) and over the Internet. The business is less than 2 years old but growing.

I know there is is a celiac support group in Pittsburgh, but I have yet to meet up with the group. I would be interested in getting together. This weekend, I am headed to Detroit for a gluten-free vendor fair.

Mamaw, if you were at the Columbus children's hospital conference, you probably saw our table (and maybe tried our products) -- that's a very good conference every year.

Kim.

Hi Kim

I have some of your products in my cupboard . I love them. I think you have a biscuit southern that i can't find but I hear its mighty good....

Wow I would love to go to a vendor fair.....When I find good products I try really hard to promote them , such as Anna's Bread mixes.... I was in marketing for years. I wasted so much stuff and money whenI first started the gluten-free diet because some of the stuff was just plain bad tasting. So now I order from alot of places and have found some pretty tasty food items so I try to pass along the info so others don't waste their hard earned dollars.....

Have you tried to get your items into the Giant Eagles yet?

Would love to meet up with you sometime.I have some ideas for this area. There is a great store in McMurray thats has a good supply of gluten-free but nothing here to the north......

PM me anytime

mamaw

Sande

I'm glad you like our products. Maybe can meet sometime and I can make you some of those biscuits. Smaller companies, such as mine and Anna's (the owner of the bread you like) sure could use the help (re: word of mouth). We're working on our marketing (I have no marketing background so it's been a learning experience for me -- the whole company has), but I develop the products/recipes and then, along with family members, we've been working hard to grow.

Would love to chat sometime.

Kim.