amahones

CVS Dye-Free Allergy Gelcaps (Generic Benadryl)

Rate this topic

I have been trying to get in touch with CVS about whether this product is gluten-free. They've been going back and forth through me with email, but this has been going on for four weeks, and they've still yet to give me a straight answer.

I used to take it all the time before going gluten-free, but since going gluten-free, whenever I take it, I get SERIOUS serious heartburn which had never happened before. Obviously I've stopped taking it but I would like to know if it's gluten that's causing the problem or something else.

Does anyone else know if these contain gluten? The brand name (Benadryl) says none of their products contain gluten, but I know generics don't always use the same ingredients....

Thanks.

I have been trying to get in touch with CVS about whether this product is gluten-free. They've been going back and forth through me with email, but this has been going on for four weeks, and they've still yet to give me a straight answer.

I used to take it all the time before going gluten-free, but since going gluten-free, whenever I take it, I get SERIOUS serious heartburn which had never happened before. Obviously I've stopped taking it but I would like to know if it's gluten that's causing the problem or something else.

Does anyone else know if these contain gluten? The brand name (Benadryl) says none of their products contain gluten, but I know generics don't always use the same ingredients....

Thanks.

What does the ingredient listing say for the inactive ingredients? Those would be the ones of concern.

What does the ingredient listing say for the inactive ingredients? Those would be the ones of concern.

Great question. Of course I don't have it on me, but when I get home, I will post them. I should have realized that would be helpful :)

Great question. Of course I don't have it on me, but when I get home, I will post them. I should have realized that would be helpful :)

Not a problem! We all do that. :D

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Allergy-Liquid-Gelcaps-Dye-Free?skuId=661736

Per Liquid Gelcap: Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg

Imo, if your worried about that why not spend a little more for the benadryl version? I'd rather pay a bit more for peace of mind than anything.

That's what I've done - I have no problem paying extra :) I was just wondering if it was gluten that was causing the problems I was having, or something else and thought someone here might know since CVS themselves apparently do not.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Allergy-Liquid-Gelcaps-Dye-Free?skuId=661736

Per Liquid Gelcap: Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg

Imo, if your worried about that why not spend a little more for the benadryl version? I'd rather pay a bit more for peace of mind than anything.

also, what you posted is only the active ingredient. It has inactive ingredients not listed on their website which I have at home on the box.

Inactive ingredients: gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol.

Inactive ingredients: gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol.

Those should be fine BUT polyethylene glycol can be an irritant to the GI tract. It is sometimes used to clean people out as in colonoscopy prep use so maybe that is what irritated your gut. Sometimes there are other ingredients that can be an irritant to the GI tract. None of those ingredients should be gluten containing.

Like others have posted, I usually stick with the name brand stuff that will tell you if something is gluten-free. Sometimes I think that the generic versions use inferior quality inactive ingredients. I always have better luck with name brand stuff and I don't know why.