Googles

Soft Taco Shells

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone has found good gluten free taco shells. I found one brand (can't remmeber what it is) but the taco shells are all stiff and break up when you try to heat them up. Has anyone found good ones? I really want to be able to haver caseadillas again. thanks.

In my neck of the woods quesadillas are made with soft tortillas - in my house corn instead of flour.

I use Mission brand, the ones marked gluten-free.

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? Their rice tortillas make excellent quesadillas.

Rudi's should be coming out with three types of gluten-free tortillas soon too.

Tacos and tostadas are made with corn tortillas - we use mission too -- either fried for hard or simply heated for soft tacos.

Rudi's tortillas are available. I have to say that whlie they are delicious and I have enjoyed them, they are not comparable to what I am used to in a flour tortilla. They will harden and break. I simply use corn tortillas for soft tortillas, also Mission brand. They are soft, and delicious. If I want something different and more unhealthy I'll fry them in a little oil before I make my tacos so they'll be a little crispy.

If your corny things break when you bend them, wet them with water before heating. They soften up nicely then. Just hold them under running water for an instant, or throw a damp paper towel over them, or put them in a pan with a little steam and a lid..

• Upvote 1

corny things

this made me giggle

Thanks everyone. the ones I found (the only ones I've seen in my area-I will have to look more) were rice based. I didn't even think that there might be corn soft ones as the only corn ones I've seen was hard tacos. Thanks everyone.

this made me giggle

:)

I just tried the Rudis tortillas tonight and they are ok but not the same as a flour tortilla. Plus they are crazy expensive! I use the uncooked corn tortillas in the refrigerated section. Works good enough.

We have also used gluten-free crepes as flour tortilla sustitute. They are a nice treat, but sadly we have not yet found anything that makes a perfect burrito yet. I'm currently eating no grain so my experimenting in this area is suspended - my son did learn to make the crepes when he is craving flour tortillas - we live in southern california so burritos were a staple before dignosis.