Celiac Mindwarp

First gluten-free Trip Away This Week

Rate this topic

Hiya

Keep your fingers crossed for me - been gluten-free 2 months and this week is my first time away from home and my own kitchen.

I have a stack of stuff to take with me, cooler at the ready.

I am doing some workshops, so taking lunch with me each day, and enough snacks to keep me going if we decide to eat after, so I can join everyone for a drink and anything gluten-free which comes in a wrapper...

Taking my own pan and spatula for breakfast prep (been before and obviously dont want to miss the bacon).

So, apart from the fact that the food doubles my luggage, all good.

I have a ton of nuts as my son is allergic and I tend to catch up on them when away!

Thanks to all the posters on travelling gluten-free, not sure I would have had the confidence without you. I'd have gone anyway, but not necessarily successfully.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

Bon voyage, sweetie!

You will be fine...you have done all your "homework"

All positive vibes sent your way.

hugs, IH

Consider our fingers dutifully crossed, MW. :)

You can do this. The first trip post diagnosis is always hard as you do not know what to expect but each subsequent time gets easier. If you plan well (which you have) you will be fine. More than fine. Your attitude surely goes a long way to a successful experience. It saddens me when I hear about those who do not travel (or do not do other things) because of celiac. That is called fear avoidance. Thankfully you are not in that position! I wish you well. :) Just do the very best you can. That is all we can expect of ourselves! :P

Good luck! I checked out your post to see if I could offer any advice but you have got it covered! Have a great time!

So - I did it!!!

It feels so good.

I fed myself just fine. I think I took about twice as much as I needed. I took packed lunch each day, and chatted to others on the course. In the evening I popped back to my hotel, ate loads so I wasn't hungry, then joined the others who were eating and had a pot of tea. I told them I had a new diet and had already eaten and it was fine.

There was even another self diagnosed celiac there to chat to!

So - next time, plug in cooler or check if I can put blocks in a freezer, and not going quite so mad with nuts...

I even ventured into a cafe for a gluten-free cake back home.

Getting there.

Thanks all x

Whoohoo! Good for you, MW

The car plug-in cooler has saved my butt many times.

You should have seen how much stuff we transported the first time we went away--as if we were going

to outer Mongolia and there would be no food ...anywhere!!.

It was just to Florida. They have lots of food in Florida. In fact, gasp!!....They have food everywhere along route I-95! :lol:

I was so worried---for nothing.

I always bring more food than I need, too, but eh?...so you bring it back home.

The last time I traveled, I had it down to a science. No worries, no big deal.

The first trip away from home is understandably filled with a bit of apprehension, but

each one gets easier.

You did GREAT!!!

Glad it worked for you!

I always bring more food than I need. Things never seem to go as planned. For example, A few weeks ago, we went to Colorado to visit oldest son and let younger one take a campus tour. I knew there was a place I could eat at the school food court, so I planned to eat a soup and salad for lunch. Just in case, I took a Go Picnic in my bag. Sure enough, the line to that place was nuts! We shopped in the bookstore, happened to meet up with big bro between his tests and went back to eat. I went back to the place and it looked like a hurricane had gone thru the salad part. I just got soup, which I enjoyed but was glad to eat the crackers, chocolate and protein from the Go Picnic with it.

Sometimes, I bring food back that I purchased in the new town. They might have brands or local products I can't get at home.

Thanks guys, not sure I'd have done it without you.

Feels good, getting some more me back :)

Feels good, getting some more me back :)

Agree totally on the "getting me back", thing! ;)

. Just in case, I took a Go Picnic in my bag.

The gluten-free cafe has those by the register for sale. You like those, K? any good?