This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh...just Need To Vent

tspiggy

tspiggy Apprentice

A week into eating gluten-free and feeling somewhat physically better, but emotionally still fragile. I'm having a very difficult time dealing with my DX despite reassurances from so many of you. My moods are all over the place and I have a meltdown every day at the most unexpected moment (today's happened while sitting in my stylist's chair having my hair cut and colored...thankfully she's a friend of mine and had a box of tissues ready).

A few minutes ago I came across a story one of my friends posted on Facebook about Hostess Brands shutting down and liquidating its assets today. We all commented on how sad that one of our childhood icons, the Twinkie, will be no more. Now, I haven't had a Twinkie or a Ring Ding (my favorite) in years, but now that I can't have one because of celiac I suddenly wanted one. It's one thing to choose to pass up something; it's entirely different when that choice is taken away from you.

Realizing that whatever Hostess items currently on store shelves are the last opportunity for my husband to have his beloved Ring Dings, he just took off for Sam's Club to stock up on as many boxes as he can get a hold of, leaving me simultaneously fuming and sad. I can't begrudge the guy his Ring Dings, and I've certainly put him through the ringer ever since my DX. He and our daughter have been insanely supportive. But man, it seemed so insensitive of him. So here I am venting because I don't want to make this an issue with him. All I said to him was, "Just please be kind and hide them and don't eat them in front of me."

After my tantrum here I'll put on my big girl panties and deal. I just needed a place to vent.

Thanks. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I find a nice batch of brownies helps in moments such as these. Betty Crocker work great - especially if you add a full cup of chocolate chips to the mix ;)

Before long you'll have plenty of go too treats when this happens - but I will not lie - I've been know to stomp my feet and throw a few mental daggers at my family when they are crunching potato chips :angry:

Lucky for you there are gluten-free replacements for almost anything - including ring-dings - they just take a touch more work to find or make.

Hang in there -- it does get better -- but until then this is the perfect place to vent -- we don't have to duck when you throw things :ph34r:

Edited to add: Many potato chips are gluten-free - I can't eat them for other reasons.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Oh yeay, we might have forgotten when we all gave you that great advice that most of us do our fair share of shouting, crying, foot stamping, sulking etc when we realize that thd gluten-free thing really actually is it, for life.

Venting good. gluten-free brownies good. Forum good.

Adalaide Mentor

It does get emotionally easier, I promise. A week or so in, my in-laws brought home some KFC and left it on the kitchen counter. I sobbed like a child, whined about how it isn't fair, gave myself a hell of a headache. I totally agree on the brownies!

I also posted on my facebook about the Hostess thing. Something about how if I can't have chocodiles neither can anyone else. It may be a poor attitude to have, but it feels like sweet justice. And... I will also be watching my husband eat some tonight. <_< He reaches for the rest of my peppermint chocolate krispy treats and I'll stab him in the hand. :ph34r:

AandGsmomma Apprentice

I have totally been there done that. I think my first week off wheat I cried thinking I would starve to death. I didnt, and my emotions did calm down (except when I get glutened), but if my husband tries to eat garlic or french bread in front of me it would be BAD!

shadowicewolf Proficient

eeek i was never a fan of hostess stuff (or as far as i know lol). You can make your own.

Though back in my early dx days i'd see the bakery area of a store and all its pretty icing'd cupcakes and that'd set me off.

Persei V. Enthusiast

Meh, it gets better. I just bake myself a nice gluten-free treat and get over it. For every food I have lost, I discovered a new, delicious one. It helps me cope with not being able to eat "normal" things anymore...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

My biggest meltdown came 6-7 years ago when I was visiting my father

at Dana Farber in Boston, and I had to find a place to eat, and food at the

grocery store, and dealing with it on top of his illness was just so over

whelming I went back to my hotel room hungry one day and just bawled.

I feel your pain. It's incredibly difficult to change your thought patterns to

deal with a new reality, and food is an important part of our emotional lives.

It gets better, I promise.

GF Lover Rising Star

Brownies, nuff said.

Bob's Red Mill has a great mix. My Glutenator, Hubs, makes them all the time for HIS sweet tooth. not gonna say how many I have out of the batch. It makes a full sized pan too.

Colleen

tspiggy Apprentice

Thanks for letting me vent and for your understanding. Feeling much better this morning...emotions are level and I'm too busy today to think about anything relating to celiac, which is a good thing because this has consumed me far too much. Last night I found a dedicated gluten free bakery in NYC online and am adding it to our list of stops the next time we take the train into the city. I'll probably spend way too much but it will be SO worth it!

gatita Enthusiast
Last night I found a dedicated gluten free bakery in NYC online and am adding it to our list of stops the next time we take the train into the city. I'll probably spend way too much but it will be SO worth it!

Oooh, if you're talking about Babycakes NYC, they are to die for! I went to their LA bakery and was in heaven. Yes, they are pricy but it's sooooo nice to walk into a place that understands you!!! And I don't even have a sweet tooth.... (or at least I didn't before this. I seem to be growing one lately).

It's funny I was watching the news reports at work about Hostess and everyone was talking about it. I was thinking, well, I can't have one of those things ever, now you have a small taste of how we feel all the time.

Vent away, I say!

luvs2eat Collaborator

In the beginning I actually cried in grocery stores while reading label after label. Ten years later, I'm not above picking up my husband's hot bread and inhaling deeply... haha.

At least here... we can say, "Man, sometimes this sucks," and the peeps here know... they KNOW.

Archived