This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Sequel

TriticusToxicum

Loey Rising Star

Loweeeee! Selia (AND Nicki, in particular) is SO lucky to have you.........you are an angel to them, whether it is realized or not. .  :)

We're having car troubles, too......and, again, NOT the battery..... :unsure: ... . .. .....so I hear ya, Leeeeesargh....  ...

Thanks for the sweet words. Sorry about the car trouble. I keep needing tires. Perhaps I should avoid curbs  :wacko:

Our schools use Youth Friends for school volunteers. The organization does background checks on in school volunteers that may be alone with a child. Then our school districts use these volunteers for one on one reading help, etc. it takes some of the liability out of having someone working with kids. Maybe the school district has something like that?

I'd be willing to be fingerprinted again. I brought them my NJ Teacher Certificates for Elementary & SPED. I'm also certified in RI and had my fingerprints taken when I applied for reciprocity. When I mentioned helping with their homework club they brushed me off. I think they need to see me a few times before they will realize I'm looking out for Selia and not protecting the mother. I just spoke to her and she told me that the 3 bags full of Selia's work over the past 3 years weren't dated. I told her I knew she meant well but she just gave them an enormous amount of stuff to sift through. They're not going to be able to glean anything from undated work. Thankfully the kids were already tested this year so my previous hunch about Selia and her brother pulling test scores down did't apply. In NJ we always did standardized testing later in the year.

Well.....I guess I was a minute too late. Sounds like a tough situation. I am sure that achool feels they have all the resources necessary to take care of Selia. I have learned from experience they don't like to bring in outsiders, or pay for more help. I was surprised they let you sit in on the conference.

Latin??? Seriously???

Btw......can somebody fix this screen issue created by SOMEbody's oversized picture? :rolleyes:

I'm included in the next meeting in a month. The social worker is concerned about absenteeism because of her elder son's track record. They were meeting with the reading teachers after our meeting and I decided that if they wanted me there they'd extend the invitation. Nikki wasn't included in the second meeting either. I'm sure it was to discuss our meeting and what to do next. By law Nikki can have an advocate with her. I just have to tread really lightly. As you all know by now my personality can make people really like me or really dislike me. I'll give them time to trust and like me. He##, I'll settle for trust. Right now I'm going to have her bring her (Wilson) reading work over here when I tutor her (principal's request). I guess I did break the ice a bit. I also did get to talk to the superintendent after the meeting with Nikki and he was more personable. They didn't know what to expect from me. Now they just need to determine if Selia has a leaning disability or if her mom just taught her improperly. I don't envy their task and hopefully will be able to eventually volunteer. I told them I was a semi-retired teacher (my personal story ain't their business). The good news is that I feel more alive today than I have in 4 years. I'm exhausted but hey, three  month ago my life was literally in another's hands. I'm so grateful to have another chance.  :D

DH & DS just went to an Italian Restaurant. :(   My celiac's too wonky right now to deal with CC.  :blink:

DH has interview with HR tomorrow. The salary's low to start but it's a salary and there's benefits. It will be weird not to have Superman around all the time but a much healthier way for us to live. Once my AHEM "issue" clears up I'll be out and about (it's finally getting better)  :).

You folks continue to be the best!!! I just wish we could somehow all get together. Maybe someday...

Love & (((hugs))),
Loey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loey

• kareng

• jerseyangel

• VydorScope

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loey

Loey 271 posts

• kareng

kareng 222 posts

• jerseyangel

jerseyangel 212 posts

• VydorScope

VydorScope 184 posts

Posted Images

Loey Rising Star

I was planning on writing emails to the people at the meeting to thank them for including me. Is that too much? It's normally automatic for me to do that but as I said  I want to tread lightly.

curlyfries Contributor

So sorry about your car. Try to hang in there and have faith. I really do believe with my heart and soul this will be a good year for all of us (eventually)! All is not rosy yet but I still have faith. We just got a bill from the IRS that we owe taxes from 2 years ago. Rob is dealing with it through paperwork but you can only imagine the mood he was in when he got a bill for $3000!

So is that something he can make go away?

We owe a bunch for last year because Brian was on disability 3 different times in 2012 and they didn't take out federal taxes, even though he requested that they do. <_<

curlyfries Contributor

I was planning on writing emails to the people at the meeting to thank them for including me. Is that too much? It's normally automatic for me to do that but as I said  I want to tread lightly.

I don't know. You were included because an advocate is allowed to attend, not because they were being gracious. If you wish to send out emails, maybe it could be to thank them for something else......helping you understand the situation........their patience in handling this difficult situation.......I don't know.

Jestgar Rising Star

For those of you dealing with taxes, if you get hit fro penalites and interest, be sure to try disputing it because of circmstances. I read somewhere that health is usually considered a valid reason for screwing up, and they should reduce/remove penalties or interest (can't remember which).

Loey Rising Star

So is that something he can make go away?

We owe a bunch for last year because Brian was on disability 3 different times in 2012 and they didn't take out federal taxes, even though he requested that they do. <_<

It should be all right. Just a headache. We took retirement money (oy vey) to pay for some of Tony's tuition this year. There shouldn't be a penalty when it's for college.

The interview with HR was a phone interview and they called an hour and a half late and talked to him for 5 minutes. He thinks he'll get the job but until it's offered he's not banking on anything. He's just so frustrated with the waiting. He's still being considered for the two jobs in Mass. but he has to take the first job offered right now. He's paying a chunk for Cobra insurance for us (my primary is medicare but the secondary picks up anything not covered) an then another monthly fee for Tony's insurance through Brown. Just the benefits alone add more to the salary. I see light at the end of the tunnel. DH sees light but wants to make sure it's not a train. I was hoping we'd have something o get shoe about today but Superman's (rightfully) in a baaad mood.

I don't know. You were included because an advocate is allowed to attend, not because they were being gracious. If you wish to send out emails, maybe it could be to thank them for something else......helping you understand the situation........their patience in handling this difficult situation.......I don't know.

I'm horrified with all I found out in the meeting. Nikki handed them two bags full of Selia's work over a three year period and didn't date any of the papers! What a nightmare for her teachers. They've become like family to me but I'm just so angry right now that I'm not going to call her until next week. A close friend of mine (I used to teach with her at an urban charter school) said to just email them to thank them for including me in the meeting and to say that I'm looking forward to seeing them in a month at the next meeting. I haven't done it yet so that might be my gut telling me to wait until after the holiday weekend (or not at all).

I hope you're all doing well. I remain positive (in spite of Superman's mood). I will continue to believe that 2013 will be a great year but I think we'd all settle for uneventful.

Love to my psilliack family!!! I am SO lucky to have you all in my life.

Loey

Loey Rising Star

For those of you dealing with taxes, if you get hit fro penalites and interest, be sure to try disputing it because of circmstances. I read somewhere that health is usually considered a valid reason for screwing up, and they should reduce/remove penalties or interest (can't remember which).

Thanks girlfriend! I'll keep that in mind if they don't agree with the documentation. He had until April 24th to respond and he sent off the documents two days ago. I would have sent them receipt return but I've learned that I'm better off not giving him suggestions right now.  I think he's got PTSD after going through the last 4 years. I know that when my first husband got sick I was on autopilot until after he passed away. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I think now that I'm functioning like a normal human being he can let his guard down. And of course the letter from the IRS didn't help with anything.

(((Hugs))),

Loey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Try to find the closest IRS office.  You can bring paperwork there and they stamp it "received" with a date, and they'll give you copies of the stamped papers for your records. 

Loey Rising Star

I think Rob did do receipt return. If the appeal gets turned down I'm sure we'll go to the office (or maybe see a lawyer). It was on retirement money we withdrew for DS' tuition. It is not supposed to be penalized. Hopefully we won't! Thanks for the great advice and the continuous support. This forum is a family and a lifeline!

Love you all,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

HOPPY EASTER/PASSOVER/OTHER CELEBRATIONS!!!!! 

I hope everyone traveling has a safe trip and that you are surrounded by those you hold most dear.

Love & (((hugs))),

Loey

mommida Enthusiast

Loey and all the dear psillies,

Happy Holiday to you all!  :D

It's Easter in our house and baby bunnies are due next week!

Loey Rising Star

Loey and all the dear psillies,

Happy Holiday to you all!  :D

It's Easter in our house and baby bunnies are due next week!

YAY BABY BUNNIES!!!!   :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Happy Easter everybody!! :)

elye Community Regular

HAPPY EASTER, PSILLIES!

funny-easter-picture.webp

VydorScope Proficient

Happy Easter to all! (and if you do not celebrate it, then Happy Random Day in March to you! )

elye Community Regular
...Got this in an email from a good friend today:

Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was?

Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers
what's known as an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next.

Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale.
Thank goodness for studies like this.

It's not our age.......it's that darn door!

........Did I tell you this already?

Thank gawd......  . ....

VydorScope Proficient
So exhausted and in some pain, but another successful Living Cross season in the bag! Now to try and figure out what life was like before all this so I can get back to it... just what did we do with our free time before the Cross?
shadowicewolf Proficient

I passed the 2k mark and i didn't even notice it.... hmmm... strange...

Loey Rising Star

...Got this in an email from a good friend today:

Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was?

Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers
what's known as an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next.

Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale.
Thank goodness for studies like this.

It's not our age.......it's that darn door!

........Did I tell you this already?

Thank gawd......  . ....

Loved this!!!!!! Now I don't have to pretend it's just forgetfulness!  :D Gotta love all my dear psillies for keeping me smiling & sane!!

So exhausted and in some pain, but another successful Living Cross season in the bag! Now to try and figure out what life was like before all this so I can get back to it... just what did we do with our free time before the Cross?

Hmmm....You'll get back to homeschooling Timothy, going to school, being a minister, and  writing the next excellent  book in your series. Sounds like you still have a full plate!   ;) 

I passed the 2k mark and i didn't even notice it.... hmmm... strange...

YAY!!! You go dear friend!!!!!

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Wooo Wolfie 2k

(quick, duck everyone)

Mw x

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'm happy. I got a B on a midterm that was very difficult. Yay!

Loey Rising Star

I'm happy. I got a B on a midterm that was very difficult. Yay!

You go girl!!!!! I'm so proud of you. I remember midterms from Grad School and they ain't perty!!!!  Double YAY YAY!!!!!

Love,

Loey

Jestgar Rising Star

New baby turkeys!  Just as dumb as last year...

shadowicewolf Proficient

Today is world autism awareness day. Apparently, the empire state building is going to be lit up in blue to raise awareness.

mommida Enthusiast

Still waiting...... (for baby bunnies) Friday will be day 31.