• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

abby03

Would Volunteering At An Animal Shelter Be Possible?

Rate this topic

I plan to start volunteering at my local animal shelter soon but have some concerns before signing up. The volunteer position entails playing with, walking, and talking to the cats and dogs in order to get them socialized and ready for adoption. It doesn't list feeding as one of the responsibilities but my guess is that I would be somewhat involved in feeding. I'm pretty sure the food that the shelter uses contains gluten. My cat's food has gluten but it's a little different when it's just her and I can scoop it, put it in her bowl, close the container, and wash my hands immediately after. If I was feeding a large number of animals or even just playing with them and trying to avoid kisses, it seems like it would be much harder. Do you think it's a possibility that I could still volunteer?

I don't really want to talk to the shelter people about it because I feel weird volunteering my time and then bringing up the whole gluten thing and making it all about me and my issue. I could ask to wear gloves when feeding but I wouldn't want to wear them around the animals in case they spooked them. If it were you would you feel uncomfortable bringing up your dietary issues or even be worried about the dog and cat food at all?

abby03, I can't think of a reason why you should not volunteer. Yes, you should wash your hands (or anything else little doggie and kitty mouths touch), especially before you eat. And I wouldn't let animals lick me on the face (especially near my mouth) no matter how cute or loving - in case you haven't noticed, their mouths touch quite a few other things that you may not want to come in contact with besides gluten!

Just don't eat the food! :)

I plan to start volunteering at my local animal shelter soon but have some concerns before signing up. The volunteer position entails playing with, walking, and talking to the cats and dogs in order to get them socialized and ready for adoption. It doesn't list feeding as one of the responsibilities but my guess is that I would be somewhat involved in feeding. I'm pretty sure the food that the shelter uses contains gluten. My cat's food has gluten but it's a little different when it's just her and I can scoop it, put it in her bowl, close the container, and wash my hands immediately after. If I was feeding a large number of animals or even just playing with them and trying to avoid kisses, it seems like it would be much harder. Do you think it's a possibility that I could still volunteer?

I don't really want to talk to the shelter people about it because I feel weird volunteering my time and then bringing up the whole gluten thing and making it all about me and my issue. I could ask to wear gloves when feeding but I wouldn't want to wear them around the animals in case they spooked them. If it were you would you feel uncomfortable bringing up your dietary issues or even be worried about the dog and cat food at all?

You know, Abby, the advice already given is good. This should not be an issue, more like overkill on a Celiac's part. I have been gluten-free for almost 8 years now, have had dogs and kitties for my entire life and it never was an issue. I am a very sensitive Celiac also. Unless you eat the dog/cat food yourself, you should be fine. :P In any thing you do, you need to wash hands often to avoid bacteria or germs a lot worse than a gluten hit. You should feel comfortable telling others that work there that you have Celiac and you need to be careful handling the food, if it does contain gluten, but other than that, don't worry about it.

I commend you for doing this.....I think you will really enjoy working with the critters!

I work as a vet tech and have never had a problem at work. I do try to keep little critters from licking my face, and wash my hands frequently and never touch my mouth with my hands without washing them first. My pets are not on gluten free food and no problems at home either. The only time I have been glutened by animal feed was when I inhaled dusty pelleted food that i was mixing up for my sheep so I wear a mask now when I am working with it..

I have been thinking of volunteering at a shelter, too. I agree with the above posters. I have never liked animals that lick me. I don't offer my face for that. But if I got licked on the lips accidentally, I wouldn't worry.

I volunteer at our local shelter :) If you're unsure, just wear disposable gloves when feeding. I clean kennels, do laundry, stuff Kongs, sort toys, help potential adopters etc and I've never had a problem. I do wash my hands about a million times during my 4 hour shift, but that is to prevent illness between animals. If you pet a cat/dog and don't wash your hands when you go to the next animal, you can potentially infect the next animal. In our volunteer training it was drilled into us to NEVER touch an animal unless you've washed/sanitized first...

So volunteer! Just wash your hands.... a lot!

My son and I have volunteered at a shetler for a couple years now and not had any problems. He just washes his hands before we leave. He give treats to the dogs all the time, he's just careful. As for "kisses", you wouldn't want to do that with shelter dogs anyway...you just don't know their temperment enough to risk a facial bite. That is what I worry about more with my son than getting glutened from a kiss! I am regularly reminding him not to get face to face with the dogs, because he's so used to doing that with our dogs.

Good for you for volunteering!! We love our time at the shelter! Have fun!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 20, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Sdceliac

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Discussions

So i recently had a baby and 3 months postpartum I started celery juicing and after juicing my stomach would be in so much pain. So I stopped it for a while and a whole month no pain or issues. I made an apt with a GI doctor to just get my blood work checked everything came back great except the Ema it was 1:20 he said it was strange because all the other Celiac panel test were negative my Ttg and the genetic screening even. So I made an apt with another doctor for second opinion she stated
    I am celiac and eat gluten-free, DF, SF and sunflower free because I'm highly reactive to all 4. I discovered about a year and a half ago that I would have severe and immediate GI reactions, similar to as if I ate dairy, to anything with sunflower/safflower products in it, but I think that's when using the oil became more prevalent too. Strange because I loved sunflower seeds as a kid. I've also linked it to places I've eaten out where everything was fine and then discovered they started using s
So i recently had a baby and 3 months postpartum I started celery juicing and after juicing my stomach would be in so much pain. So I stopped it for a while and a whole month no pain or issues. I made an apt with a GI doctor to just get my blood work checked everything came back great except the Ema it was 1:20 he said it was strange because all the other Celiac panel test were negative my Ttg and the genetic screening even. So I made an apt with another doctor for second opinion she stated that
  • Blog Entries