This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help

shirley ann

shirley ann Newbie

For the first time I'm going out to dinner tonight. I think it will help my mood to be with friends and my husband alone without my 3 kids.

BUT what do I eat? We are going to a mexican restaurant. And if I sit there and not eat then I have to play 20 queations and I'm just not in the mood right now.

Please help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cornbread Explorer

If you're going to eat out gluten-free, a Mexican restaurant is a good choice, but you still have to be careful. A lot of things you might presume are gluten-free (ie: corn tortillas) may be prepared in such a way that they become unsafe for you (ie:, grill to cook tortillas on is sprinkled with flour to prevent sticking). However, Mexican cuisine has a lot of naturally gluten free choices so with a little bit of questioning of the waitstaff/manager, you should be able to eat safely.

Please do mention to the waitstaff (manager if poss) that you can not eat anything containing gluten (and explain what this is to them), and also explain that whoever prepares your food should wear fresh gloves or wash their hands between preparing other food and yours - just explain that you are very sensitive and if they touch for example a flour tortilla and then touch your food, you could get very sick. This usually makes them understand how careful they need to be.

I made the mistake in the past of picking 'safe' choices from the menu (ie: gluten free food) only to get glutened through cross-contamination, but I've found that ever since then, as long as I have been articulate and upfront with the waitstaff, I have eaten safely. The first few times are the hardest and I know it seems more trouble than it's worth, but it does get easier and now I do my little schpeel automatically, and if I'm not comfortable that I am being taken seriously then we leave and eat elsewhere.

Sometimes, especially if I'm still recovering from a previous glutening episode and I really can't deal with the schpeel, I use those little restaurant cards that you can print out and hand to the waitstaff. Just hand it over and say that you have some serious dietry restrictions which are detailed in the card and could they please pass that on to the chef. It usually pays to explain in person as well though, mainly so that you can get a little feedback as to whether or not you think they are actually paying attention!

Good luck! And remember, if you think they are not taking you seriously, ask to speak to the manager and if that doesn't help and you are not 100% confident that the food you have been served is gluten free, then do not eat it. It is not worth getting sick just to fit in with everyone else at the table.

shirley ann Newbie

Thank you, I'm gonna go for it.

cornbread Explorer

Cool! Let us know how you get on. :D

shirley ann Newbie
Cool!  Let us know how you get on.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My day was geat!!! I actually went out and helped my daughters school with the homecomming float and not once did I have to leave to go home and be sick. I havn't done anything away from my bathroom in weeks. And if I did it was because I hadn't ate all day. Thats what I usually do. I wouldn't eat till all the day activities with the kids were all over even if my first meal was at 10:00 at night.

Today I had rice cake with peanut butter and for dinner we ended up going to Chili's and I had steak and plain mashed potatoes. I know you will understand, it was wonderful not spending all day in the bathroom. Thank you for all your help!!!

cornbread Explorer

Oh congratulations, I'm so glad to hear it worked out ok! :)

I still get nervous eating out, even after months on the diet. I think that's good though - it ensures I'm always very thorough with them about my requirements, which means I eat safely and live to dine another day! :lol:

Here's wishing you a safe and happy gluten-free dining future! :)

Archived