This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin D Suppliments-How Much?

1974girl

1974girl Enthusiast

I have been ready a TON about how type 1 diabetes may be linked to a Vitamin D def. My husband has type 1 and my daughter has celiac. She has both the DQ2 and DQ8 like he does and so, we can't rule out future diabetes. He was 19 at diagnosis and she is 12. Anyway, I know low vit D can accompany celiac. How much vitamin D are you giving your kids? The artical said the 400mg recomendation for kids is wayyyy too low. But it didn't really ever give a number. I am giving her 1,000 mg and I wonder if that's even enough. Do any of you do more than that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

We do 1000-2000 UI per day in supplements on top of whatever is in the food and multivitamin. We're in Canada so I KNOW thery're not making any D now. LOL

Sublingual D3 tablets, or D3 drops, are usually the best way to go because the D is better absorbed from your mouth than your gut. This is generally true for vitamin B12 and zinc as well.

Best wishes.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I take 4000 IU and my kids take 2000 IU and the baby takes 1000 IU. I am thinking the baby can move up to 2000 IU now that he's over 1.

anonymous-123 Rookie

I take about 1500 IU's of D3 per day.

GretaJane Newbie

I've been giving my 5 yr old 1000 IU of D3, and he is still slightly deficient.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

My 5 yo gets 1000-2000, and 500 in multi. 8 yo (celiac) gets 2000 in drops and 500 extra in multi- she was low at 27 time of diagnosis.

Hubby and I take 6000 daily, both low.

Best thing is to know your levels- no one should follow the minuscule 400 unit suggestion, horribly outdated!!! As a general rule, at least 1000 per 25 lbs.

Ninja Contributor

I agree with Mom-of-Two: if you can, try to get her levels tested. Sometimes mega-dosing is the only way to get levels up (if they are real low), but in that case it is super important to know where she "started."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I just spoke to our celiac doctor today. Joe's test found him to be low in D (not unusual in Boston in January) and she recommended 2000 units a day for the rest of the winter. If he tests normal in a few months we can reduce it. May have to bump it up again in the fall when the weather changes again.

cara

• 4 weeks later...
Mom-of-Two Contributor

My 8 yo was low on vitamin D (27) with her celiac labs- today was her 6 month follow up and I'm happy to say she's now at 53 :) the GI doc fully believes she wasn't absorbing the vitamin D before and with the gluten-free diet past 6 months she's absorbing so much better- she gets 2500 units per day.

Archived