This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Best Bread And Pasta

DonnaMM

DonnaMM Explorer

I have decided to go back on the diet regardless of my test results. Last time I did it I could never really get into the bread or pasta. Any ideas as to the best bread and pasta? I don't care if I have to order it I just want a soft bread and good pasta noodles (I LOOOOVE SPAGHETTI). Anyone tried the quinoa pasta, is it good?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

My family and I find the Schar to be the best brand for both. My mom found Schar white bread in one of grocery stores and even she said it felt and tasted similar to "regular" bread and the same for their pastas.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Ancient harvest quinoa/corn pasta.... is very good :)

Gemini Experienced

I have decided to go back on the diet regardless of my test results. Last time I did it I could never really get into the bread or pasta. Any ideas as to the best bread and pasta? I don't care if I have to order it I just want a soft bread and good pasta noodles (I LOOOOVE SPAGHETTI). Anyone tried the quinoa pasta, is it good?

Donna......here are some links for the best bread and pasta ever. I am particularly picky about quality (or you can call me a food snob!) so these are my favorites after trying out many different kinds over the years.

Open Original Shared Link

The link I was going to give you for pasta will not work for you because they are all corn based and I see from your signature that you are allergic to corn. I am sorry because that makes it even harder for you. But Schar, as others have suggested, is very good pasta too. I just hope it is not corn based....I can't remember. I like many of their products and have done well with them. If things change on the corn front for you, let me know and I'll provide the link.

The bread link will work and by far, it's THE best gluten-free bread ever. I have given this to the wheat eaters without telling them it's gluten-free and they were shocked because they couldn't tell the difference. There is a store locator so I hope you can find some.

You are doing the right thing with going gluten-free. Like I said, your health history screams of Celiac so don't doubt yourself. We want to see you back to good health,like the rest of us!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Ah i didn't spot the corn allergy. woops :) My appologies. But yeah quinoa is pretty good.

langone7 Apprentice

The absolute best bread flour and pasta mix is maninis, which you can buy online at their website Open Original Shared Link They are organic, rice free, and corn free. Its super easy to make, otherwise the store bought stuff I personally think tastes like cardboard.

CommonTater Contributor

Basically I stopped bread because I guess I'd rather go without than settle for something I can't hardly tolerate. The gluten free breads are dry and not soft and have an odd texture.

I've really struggled because to me none of the breads are good at all but we bought the Udi's dinner rolls last week. They are VERY good compared to everything I've had. I want to try the Udi flour tortilla's if I ever see them in stores and I hope they are good. And I wish they'd come out with a really biscuit!

I have heard good things about these onion rolls Open Original Shared Link

I am waiting to see if I can find them in a store soon because shipping is SO costly.

As far as Pasta goes.....I've been buying the Ancient harvest quinoa, corn pasta and while it's not bad, it's not as good as Jovial Brown Rice Pasta. I've been told the best of the best is Open Original Shared Link

I ordered some and it'll be delivered Monday according to my tracking number, so we'll try that next week and I'll let everyone know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms.Heather10 Newbie

Since my Celiac diagnosis, my mother and Memere (grandmother) are always active in searching for Gluten Free products anytime they're shopping. My Memere was very excited when she saw a box of Gluten Free Bisquick, so naturally, she bought it and gave it me the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but for the cost and the chance of finding those really good biscuits, I am hopeful. I know Bisquick is often used to make other things such as, pancakes and pie crust. If anyone has tried this Bisquick and know of some good tasty ways to use it, I would love if you could share them with me. Thank you!

DonnaMM Explorer

I found a great recipe for little muffins made with chives, bacon, cheese and gluten-free bisquick, I love them

Gemini Experienced

The absolute best bread flour and pasta mix is maninis, which you can buy online at their website Open Original Shared Link They are organic, rice free, and corn free. Its super easy to make, otherwise the store bought stuff I personally think tastes like cardboard.

Most do taste pretty bad but not the Canyon Bakehouse. I recommend it to those who have never tried it and are looking for a soft bread that you can make a sandwich with without toasting the bread. It's the only bread I can fool the gluten eaters with.

Ninja Contributor

I really love Tinkyada brand pasta (brown rice). Easy for me to find, tastes great and doesn't get mushy! My favorite bread is Udi's, however I can't remember if they use corn in their bread products or not...

Gemini: Thanks for the recommendation! Going to look for it. :)

• 2 months later...
CommonTater Contributor

I bought a loaf of the Canyon Bakehouse and it was heavy and dry to me. Bread is the hardest for me, I think I'm a bread snob. I like it light, fluffy and soft like normal bread. We bought a bag of the Maninis

Open Original Shared Link Bread Mix to try and it was REALLY good. You don't store it in the fridge or freezer, it has a shelf life of 5 days. IMO it's MUCH better on the 2nd day. We love thatManinis

is organic, rice free, and corn free.

bartfull Rising Star

CommonTater, which Canyon Bakehouse did you get? They make a white bread, a "rye" and SAN JUAN 7-GRAIN. The 7-Grain is not dry at all. It's got great texture and flavor. If that's the one you tried and it was dry, it must have had freezer burn or something.

Alwayssomething Contributor

For pasta, especailly when I need a spagetti type replacement I use either Mi Fun Oriental noodles or bean thread oriental noodles.  Personally in the two years I have been doing this, I found that if the recipe had to be altered to make it gluten free I don't care for it and both of the products are "original" products.  Then again I already ate these items before being gluten free whenever we ordered chinese food.   

For bread I like Rudi's but have yet to find Canyon Bakehouse where do you guys find that, I know I can order online, but seem out of luck in my stores and am wondering how everyone else it getting it. 

I do like the new Toufayan gluten free wraps much better than any of the frozen gluten free wraps I have had.   They hold up great when rolled and while eating. 

bartfull Rising Star

My local health food store sells it. It is my absolute favorite bread, but unfortunately I can't eat it right now. Udi's has corn starch, which I could tolerate for a while there and hope to get back again, but the Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain has corn MEAL, which I doubt I'll ever be able to tolerate again.

But who knows? Maybe someday...

The Canyon Bakehouse website is selling it for $5 a loaf, or $45 for a case of ten loaves. Believe me, if I could eat it I would buy a case and keep it in my freezer.

Nikki2777 Community Regular

If you like rye bread, I find the Schar's Deli Style bread is pretty, pretty close.  A little crumbly and I wish the size were different (and the price) but not bad.

Gemini Experienced

My local health food store sells it. It is my absolute favorite bread, but unfortunately I can't eat it right now. Udi's has corn starch, which I could tolerate for a while there and hope to get back again, but the Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain has corn MEAL, which I doubt I'll ever be able to tolerate again.

But who knows? Maybe someday...

The Canyon Bakehouse website is selling it for $5 a loaf, or $45 for a case of ten loaves. Believe me, if I could eat it I would buy a case and keep it in my freezer.

It's food crack, bartie and I hope that you will eventually be able to snarf some down again.  ;)   Every gluten eater I have given this bread to had no idea it was gluten free.

bartfull Rising Star

Gemini, if I ever get Canyon Bakehouse back, I guarantee I will be so fat no one will recognize me. I know we should all keep our gluten-free substitutes as OCCASIONAL treats, but this stuff is so good I know I'd eat it every day, several times a day. I like it even better than ice cream, and believe me, I am an ice cream fanatic. :D

CommonTater Contributor

CommonTater, which Canyon Bakehouse did you get? They make a white bread, a "rye" and SAN JUAN 7-GRAIN. The 7-Grain is not dry at all. It's got great texture and flavor. If that's the one you tried and it was dry, it must have had freezer burn or something.

I bought the white but tried the 7 grain and didn't like it either.  I have to tell you this new flour we are using is unbelieveable. I am SO thankful to the lady on Facebook that told me about it, I only wish I knew who she was so I could thank her. We just baked a loaf tonight and OMG the house smells so good and this bread taste EXACTLY like the real bread I remember. I am NOT kidding, I'm in heaven! I am finally eating bread again and will be a customer for LIFE!

Gemini Experienced

Gemini, if I ever get Canyon Bakehouse back, I guarantee I will be so fat no one will recognize me. I know we should all keep our gluten-free substitutes as OCCASIONAL treats, but this stuff is so good I know I'd eat it every day, several times a day. I like it even better than ice cream, and believe me, I am an ice cream fanatic. :D

Canyon Bakehouse bread, especially the 7 grain, is chock full of whole grain gluten-free grains so I would argue it is not one of those items that you need to limit.  I eat way more bread than I used to because when you start weight training, you lose too much weight if you don't eat carbs.  I am extremely sensitive yet eat this bread everyday, at breakfast and sometimes with lunch.  No problems but I am 8 years out and have healed well.  This isn't crap gluten-free bread.  I love this bread and so does my husband.  I agree....it's the best one out there.  Ditto for the hamburger rolls.  They look and taste like regular rolls but are much tastier than the wheat versions.  YUM!

Archived