This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Royally Screwed Up. Do You Get This Symptom?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

A few days ago I got my results back from my gastro. My liver enzymes are down. YAY! I was pretty excited about that b/c even though I am still dealing with stomach issues etc. it shows that the gluten free diet it working.

Friday at a party, I really messed up. I was eating a dip that the person told me that she made sure was gluten free...well come to find out she didnt know that the crab meat was not real crab and that it had wheat in it. Totally not her fault! I should have skipped it...anyway.

So now I have a migraine, bowel issues and what feels like a major UTI although it doesnt burn..it just feels like there is pressure on my bladder and feels a little like period cramps. Do any of you get period like cramps when you are glutened? I went to urgent care and I dont have a UTI...Just wondering if any of you get bladder and or period like cramping with gluten.

Thanks - MO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cavernio Enthusiast

I used to get all sorts of weird and whacky lower abdominal pains. Still do, and not just during my period. I used to get pain along left side where my colon is, but I still wonder if it wasn't kidney or feminine part related (ovaries, fallopian tubes, I dunno). It's 90% gone now, but I still get it sometimes. I was dx with IBS, but I think that's BS because, again, going gluten free it mostly went away and describing my stools as 'soft' apparently means I have diarhea even though I specifically say it's not diarhea. Also, my kidney tests always show up as fine but always have a note saying doesn't exclude damage.

I also get weird pains seemingly not period related almost next to my leg joint, sometimes a bit higher but really low in my abdomen and slightly off to the side. Have it right now, nagging pain that almost feels like cramps but not quite, there now that I think about it. Thanks a lot! :-p And always the left side. I also have a history of kidney issues from my mom's side of the family.

As to it being a gluten reaction though, I couldn't say. I got a rash and my mouth burns and I nerve pain in my periphery from what I can only guess is gluten, but that's it for immediacy, and that was never a confirmed glutening.

I've read that being a celiac and eating gluten can do a number on the kidneys though, so if you think you've had it awhile without being dxed you should probably look into it. And if you have kidney issues being a celiac you should be eating more calcium and meat etc, not less like they usually tell you for kidney damage.

GFreeMO Proficient

I've been checked for kidney issues. I recently had a ton of blood work done and nothing came back badly except for my liver enzymes which have since resolved with the gluten free diet.

I just get this bladder, period like cramps- lower intestinal pain when glutened and it hurts pretty badly.

Cave, sounds like we have very similar issues. Celiac can be so tricky sometimes.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I know the feeling. I still get mild bladder issues when i'm really stressed.. Before that? Oh forget it. I'd have to go every half hour or so, run around feeling like i'm going to wet my pants (no fun!). It never came back as an issue with a UTI (checked many times). It seems to have stopped soon after my diet started. I still, on occasion, get it when i'm really stressed out.

Cave, after my period i get cramping. Its due to ovulation and it can get pretty bad. Mine is generally located near the hip area and takes a few days to go away. Its bad enough that all i wanna do is curl into a ball and sleep sometimes.

GFreeMO Proficient

I am starting to really think that gluten can effect the bladder somehow. I get my gluten cramps way down low though so it may all feel the same. Who knows...

mushroom Proficient

MO, you are lucky it isn't a full-blown UTI. We are a celiac family, and my mother, my two sisters and I have all been plagued with constant UTI's all our lives. Even though I am gluten free (and don't get quite so many) I still get a lot of them. I have had so many courses of antibiotics that they are becoming antibiotic resistant. One of my sisters refuses to eat gluten free and she gets many more than I do now. I know this is anecdotal evidence only, but .....

Archived