trimummy of 2

Help W/ Gluten Challenge - Biggest Bang For Buck?

Rate this topic

quick q re: a gluten challenge -

would i be able to just regularly ingest "vital wheat gluten" that you see in the bakery aisle for a gluten challenge instead of having to eat all the starches? I could just miix it into a drink or something - i know it sounds absolutely disgusting.... but i just don't want to end up carb-addicted (been there, done that in my life) from a gluten challenge. just wondering......

quick q re: a gluten challenge -

would i be able to just regularly ingest "vital wheat gluten" that you see in the bakery aisle for a gluten challenge instead of having to eat all the starches? I could just miix it into a drink or something - i know it sounds absolutely disgusting.... but i just don't want to end up carb-addicted (been there, done that in my life) from a gluten challenge. just wondering......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure it would work just fine. Gluten is gluten, vital or not and your body will treat it as such. Good luck!

"vital wheat gluten" (just labeled that for the bread makers) is the most concentrated form of the wheat protein you can get, and yes, it'll work, and yes, it'll taste NASTY. That's what I did - mixed it in yogurt (which I don't recommend, as it can confuse the issue if you're casein intolerant). the problem comes in when you consider that it's uncooked - and that may make it give your system a harder time than otherwise. you might try making tortillas or pancakes or something with it that gets cooked. even hot "cereal" might be a try...

yep, a gluten challenge is when you purposely eat gluten to not only observe the symptoms, but to be more accurately tested for the disease, since the blood tests and biopsy are usually most accurate when you have been eating gluten for an extended period of time... hope that helps

i have lots of very mixed bloodwork results, and there is a handful of diagnoses on the table besides celiac.

i just cannot WAIT to finally find out what is wrong with me. the waiting and not knowing for sure is eating me up.... ugh

1 hour ago, yogaandbacon said:

Does anyone know how many Tablespoons you would need to eat per day of the vital wheat gluten for the gluten challenge (equivalent to 4 slices of bread)??

thanks!

This original posting is very old (2005), so it is doubtful that anyone will reply.  I can tell you about a gluten challenge:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

Why not eat bread, crackers or other gluten-containing products?  Just curious.