• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Jen_1984

I Found Out I Also Have A Severe Dairy Allergy

Rate this topic

About 2 weeks ago, after a positive DGP IgG, I had suspicions that I had celiac disease . And I for about a week I have been gluten free and felt a marked improvement in the way I felt. My little guy has had some strange symptoms so I suspected he had a milk allergy. My daughter, he and I all went to the allergist and haf the prick test. My lucky daughter was not allergic to anything and my little boy does have an allergy to watermelon. However, I had a very strong, itchy welt and the doc looked at it and says "You are very allergic to milk"! He even gave me benadryl before I left his office. I felt sick and immediately got a headache in his office. I cannot believe I have milk allergy. Well I asked if the positive DGP IgG was related to the dairy and he said no that I probably have celiac AND a dairy allergy and he advised going paleo. He said its not uncommon to have both celiac and a dairy allergy. He said to stay away from butter, cheese, chocolate and any milk related food. In just a couple weeks after I basically found out I cannot eat gluten, I also find out I have a pretty bad milk allergy. I feel so limited as to what I can eat and feel overwhelmed. Anyone else have a milk allergy here along with celiac? See any improvement after quitting dairy?

a lot of people around here have dairy allergies too, although I'm not sure if it's more than the general population. I do know that more celiacs have lactose intolerances than the general population, problems with casein are common too.

I personally have a lactose intolerance. When I eat dairy I get a stomach ache and gluten like symptoms. I've never tested for allergies.

Best wishes with the gluten-free diet. the first few weeks are hard to get used to but it is very simple after that. Good luck.