• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Celiac Disease - Post Diagnosis, Recovery/Treatment(s)
68 68

Discussions related to one's diagnosis with celiac disease.

7,254 topics in this forum

• 2 replies
  1. Ads by Google:
    Ads by Google:

• 7 replies
    • 34 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 41 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 8 replies
68 68
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AnemiaJen

• Topics

• I agree with Ennis.  It sounds like she is getting access to gluten way too often to expect healing.   I had some pretty severe patches of intestinal damage when I was diagnosed.  Anemia was my symptom and I had no gut issues then.  So, just because she injests gluten and does not have some major symptoms right away, does not mean she is not building up antibodies.  Have those antibodies been re-tested to see if they are in the normal ranges now?  Missing patches of damage in the small intestine is possible.  Heck, the small intestine is the size of a tennis court (goggle it).  So easy to miss.  Also, your GI should have taken more than four samples?  How many were taken? (Forgive me, if I have forgotten.) Cross contamination in your house is real, especially if you have kids in the house.  Member Jebby, a preemie doctor who has celiac disease, was not getting well.  Turns out her four small and adorable children were glutening her.  She made her house gluten free.  Just something to consider.   You mentioned she had access to gluten at a party.  So, does that mean she caves in and eats it?  She needs to become a stakeholder in this diet.  
    • I think that if you soaked in the paddle in vinegar and scrubbed it a few times, you will be fine.  But if in doubt, just set the mixer aside for a while until your family's health has improved.  In the meantime, use your arm to mix dough!  My grandma never had a mixer!   I bought a bunch of new stuff because I had been married for 25 years when diagnosed.  It was time for new things!   Everyone is different in their response to gluten.  Science has given us a good estimate, but we know that nothing is "one size fits all".  You just have to figure out what is best for you and your family.   My anemia resolved within months of being gluten free (ferritin levels).  I still have Thalassemia, but it is mild and my body has adapted.  It is most likely the one reason that I never made the Olympic team!  😆 BTW, family and friends are not allowed to bring in gluten into our house with the exception of beer.  They can contribute to a potluck by bringing beverages, uncut fruit and veggies, new condiments, tableware, and ice cream ......etc.
    • Thank you so much. It's so nice to have such friendly and helpful people to talk to while I await my answers.  I had an interesting experience yesterday... I ate a bowl of Kraft mac n cheese... then passed out for 4 hours and woke up vomiting. I've had a lot of experiences like that after eating over the past 2 years, but I never put those pieces together because celiac disease was totally off my radar. Just found it very interesting.  I've been pushing down lots of gluten-y foods just to make sure my tests will come out right. So tired of waiting! Really, if this isn't the answer to my 40 lb mysterious weight loss, fatigue, and painful gas/bloating... then what's left? Cancer doesn't seem likely in a 33 year old, but I am really scared.  Thanks for helping me through this. Anyone who stumbles accross this place is lucky to find such supportive and kind, helpful people!
  • Upcoming Events