Hello, I am a sophomore in Industrial Design at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign developing a product that aims to enhance the lives of individuals on gluten-free diets under the instruction of Assistant Professor Deana McDonagh and Ben Grosser, director of the Beckman Institute of Advanced Science and Technology. Below is a survey I am conducting for those with Celiac disease or gluten intolerance to help me research and figure out how the gluten-free lifestyle can be improved in terms of dining out. Any questions you would be willing to answer would be of significant help to my research and product development. Also, anyone who may feel uncomfortable posting their answers may instead e-mail me at email@example.com.
Thank you all for taking the time to assist me in my research and I will continue to keep you posted on the status of the project as it progresses.
3. ethnic group:
4. age at which you were diagnosed:
5. How did you feel when you were diagnosed?
6. Did you have health problems in childhood?
7. How well do you maintain a gluten-free diet?
__ I absolutely never eat gluten
__ I very rarely eat gluten that I know of
__ I try not to eat gluten but I sometimes cheat or don't know
__ I don't maintain a gluten-free diet as well as I should
__ I don't maintain a gluten-free diet at all
8. What are some of the main difficulties you face in maintaining a gluten-free diet?
__ Price of gluten-free food
__ Availability of gluten-free food
__ Taste of gluten-free food
__ Preparation of gluten-free food
__ Public awareness of gluten intolerance/celiac disease
__ Knowing and understanding what foods you can and cannot eat
__ Reading and memorizing labeling on foods
__ Dining out
9. What type of symptoms do you face when gluten is ingested?
__ mouth ulcers
__ stomach pains
__ other(s) :
10. How comfortable are you eating in restaurants or public situations?
__ Very comfortable: I have no problem at all
__ Comfortable: It's not too much of a problem or embarassment for me
__ Slightly uncomfortable: I sometimes feel it a hassle or embarassing to ask about or identify gluten-free food
__ Uncomfortable: I often feel it a hassle or embarassing to ask about or identify gluten-free food
__ Very uncomfortable: I avoid dining in public situations if at all possible
11. If you ever do feel uncomfortable, where and why exactly does this usually happen?
12. How do you deal with situations in which you must dine out?
__ Don't eat
__ Only eat what you know or can assume is gluten free
__ Eat what they have out of politeness, even if it may contain gluten
__ Ask for a gluten free dish
__ Other :
13. In most restaurants, do you find that waiters/waitresses/managers/cooks are aware and accomodating to gluten free requests?
14. If a device were available that allowed you to test you food for gluten in public situations, would you use it?
15. What are some features it would need or you would like it to have? (for example: size, accuracy, speed, etc.)
16. What aspects might make you refrain from using it?
17. About how much would you be willing to spend on a device like this?
18. Would you be willing to participate in later product testing and further interviewing as this project develops?
Thank you once again! Any further questions or comments may be posted or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.