I am a recently diagnosed celiac and still very much in the process of coming to terms with the disease. I started losing weight after the birth my son and pretty much had most of the classic symptoms of the disease. Grateful that it got diagnosed but the world seems like a much more difficult place now! Im very glad to have found this message board and to know that there are others out there in the same boat. Also want to thank everyone for taking out the time to share their experiences and advice. I have some basic questions and it would be great if anyone can share their two cents.
1. My son is 10 months old. I hope and pray that he never has to deal with this. How and when should he be tested. Is it just a blood test or would a biopsy be required (L). I read someplace that there is a DNA test that can be preformed to find out for sure if he will ever be at risk. Is this test very expensive / common?
2. Second, there seem to be soo many lists going around. Which is more accurate and up to date. How often do I need to call companies to check and see if there are any changes. What works for you all?
3. What is this controversy on distilled vinegar. Or more importantly, what is the verdict?
4. Can anyone recommend a really decent bread (closest to the real thing), a good cereal (closed to Kelloggs frosties) and a good chilly sauce (like those Chinese brands?)
5. Is the LaChoy soy sauce gluten-free?
6. Does anyone know any good gluten-free restaurants in the Chicago / Milwaukee area?
7. Is there anything one can order safely at a regular restaurant without the risk of being glutenized?
Thanks soo much for your help. And good luck everyone! This has got to be the most complicated diet ever. But on the flip side, I would rather be doing this than undergoing any painful surgery and taking any strong drugs. There are always those worse off than us.