• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Soy & Dairy Questions

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

I've posted a couple of times before. Briefly, symptoms started in November. Went gluten-free a week later and wasn't prepared to eat gluten until I could have an endoscopy, which in Australia, in the public system, can take up to 2 years.

My problems were alleviated with a gluten-free diet, but I also discovered I can't eat any dairy, not even hard cheese, or yoghurt that seemed so soothing in the beginning of gluten-free.

I finally got the genetic testing and of the three results, all were positive. I also have Type 1 diabetes, so celiac often goes hand-in-hand. Pretty much a no brainer about what I have, but no 'official' diagnosis. I may pursue it in the future, if I want to damage my gut again, just for a diagnosis. Both my family doctor and my endocrinologist say it's obvious what it is and to stay gluten free.

Now I'm wondering about soy. Seems I can tolerate some soy... but maybe not. I'm aware that soy and corn can be a problem. 

It seems I can't eat my usual mayo that is made with soya bean oil. I'm not exactly sure if it's the eggs or the oil. I can eat eggs where the yellow isn't very cooked, but not hard-boiled eggs. In the mayo, surely the eggs are raw? I use S&W Mayo made in the USA. Does anyone know if there's some kind of cooking process to make this mayo? 

I mostly have mayo with canned tuna (packed in springwater). Surely it couldn't be the tuna, could it?

I can eat a couple of soy-based crackers ok, but I've wondered when I've eaten more, if they were responsible for ensuing gastro problems.

Yesterday afternoon, I tried a soy latte (I'm missing my decaf lattes). I was ok all yesterday (and almost jumped for joy because it was tolerable to drink), but 24 hours later, I'm having gastro symptoms. I know these will last 24-48 hours, so I'm stuck with it.

I'd gone 16 days straight (without being glutened or dairy'd) feeling fantastic with zero gastro issues! I'm only a couple of months into this, so I'm still coming across stuff I could happily eat before, but not now.  

My question is... does anyone know the difference in soy content between a couple of crackers, soya bean oil and about 3/4 glass of soy milk? What's in soy that causes the problem?

Not that I really want to eat soy, but the occasional soy latte would be nice, but not if I can't tolerate it. 

With the non-gluten "intolerances", do they do the same kind of gut damage that gluten does? If not, what kind of damage do they do, if any? 

Last question... why does a dairy intolerance rear its head when you first go gluten-free, when dairy was never a problem before? I'd have dairy every day before, but definitely not gluten every day. 

Sorry about all the questions in one post. I've been saving them up! 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google: