This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Blood Cells In Stool?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

i just posted on my stool test and looks like they identified a few red blood cells in my stool via microscope.  i do have a fissure so its possible the sample got contaminated with blood, but of course this has me concerned now.  i do seem to have a very unbalanced GI tract and things have been out of whack after taking rifaximin back in november; lots of overgrowth now and very little growth of beneficial flora.  i did have a colonoscopy 3 yrs ago and the Pillcam 2.5 years ago and everything was normal on those.

would appreciate any ideas or suggestions

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Jason.

Sorry, I am confused.  What is your question?  It seems the fissure is the most likely cause of the blood cells detected.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Yep, that would do it. Hemorrhoids can do this as well if they're really irritated.

jasonD2 Experienced

sorry lisa- was just concerned about red blood anything showing up in my stool and was wondering if overgrowth of dysbiotic bacteria can cause this.  my main problem is low levels of lactobacilli and bifido despite pumping myself full of different varieties of probiotics ofr 5 years

GottaSki Mentor

ah...it can take a very long time for the gut to equalize from celiac damage -- I'm four years and still working on it -- took all types of probiotics for first three...stopped supplementing all together last summer -- not suggesting this, but removing supplements seems to have helped my gut begin to heal from what looked, walked and talked like SIBO.

Good Luck :)

jasonD2 Experienced

ya but still dont know if i have true celiac thats the prob- biopsy was neg and pillcam showed no villi damage

GottaSki Mentor

hmmm...no answer for you other than it is highly likely and very probable that the blood came from the fissure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived