• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Rudi's New "soft And Fluffy" Bread And Inulin

2 posts in this topic

clairemarie    0

I don't have a large food budget, so buying gluten-free bread is a rarity. The last time I had any Rudi's was December -- a few slices over the course of a few days visiting relatives. No problems, there. Tonight I found some of Rudi's cinnamon raisin bread on sale and picked up a loaf. After eating two slices with safe toppings, I felt immediately ill (weak, lots of bloating, fever brain, joint pain, etc...). This typically happens when I'm reacting to something that isn't necessarily a glutening but definitely has my body confused and freaked out.

Turns out the new recipe, though producing larger and nice slices of bread, now contains inulin. I suspect this might be the culprit since I haven't seen a lot of other people reporting any reaction. I've never quite sorted out why I react like this to certain fiber-rich foods, but I've definitely had adverse reactions to inulin in the past and wouldn't be terribly surprised... sad, but not shocked. 

Anyone else given the new Rudi's a go? It looks like they also eliminated sorghum flour in the change. I'm just curious if I'm the only one accidentally burned by the otherwise excellent change.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

RudisGF    1

Hello Clairmarie - We did recently update our Rudi's Gluten-Free sandwich bread to a new soft & yummy recipe.  While there were a few small ingredient changes, inulin was an ingredient in our old recipe and is still included in our new recipe. We have received the occasional feedback that some consumers are extra sensitive to this ingredient.  If you were able to eat our bread in the past, know that inulin was also in it, so this might not be what you are reacting to.  Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Thanks,

Maggie, Rudi's Glutne-Free Bakery

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    daltonh

• Topics

• Hi everyone! I'm obviously new to the forums, but I'm also new to the idea of celiac/gluten free/etc.  Lemme give you the Cliff Notes version of my journey: 1992: I'm diagnosed with CFS/ME. It sucks and I'm tired and sick all the time. 2014: I'm still tired and sick all the time, so I decide to become a vegetarian. Maybe that'll help, right? I began getting deathly ill when I ate. Vomiting and diarrhea, everything I eat seems to be a problem.  I go to a doctor who runs a million tests. Nothing turns up. In among those tests is a celiac panel which has this result: no antibody detected and no serological evidence of celiac disease. No cause is ever found. I continue to suffer. Later in 2014: I notice that my stomach issues are triggered every time I eat a raw vegetable. I can eat bread or pasta no problem. Fake chicken? Great. Have a salad? I'm dying. This is a problem, as I'm a vegetarian. I nix the fresh veggies and continue to live my life. 2015: I'm diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I realize that the problem with vegetables is worse than I thought. I can no longer eat cooked spinach, can't have lettuce on my sandwich, and stealing a single slice of cucumber set my stomach on edge for days. I'm becoming hypersensitive to veggies in food and protecting myself from their evil influence; my stomach thanks me. 2017: After a relative peaceful period, the stomach issues are back, worse. So I go to a new doctor (I've moved) and he recommends a colonoscopy and EGD (no labs). This was done yesterday. The full results will of course have to wait for the biopsies to be examined, but apparently there is scalloping "through the entire duodenum".  Doc told my partner that he believes I have celiac and discharged me with orders to go gluten free. Now I'm sitting here alternately considering drinking alone in the dark and throwing things--I guess I'm wavering between the stages of depression and anger on my trip through grief for my lost favorite foods. But here's where the confusion comes in...everything I'm seeing says that I should give up bread and eat more veggies, but veggies make me sick. Does anyone else have this reaction to vegetables? Meanwhile I'm thinking back to the labs done in 2014 and wondering if its possible to have a negative test and still be positive for celiac? Also, what actually happens if you DON'T go gluten free?
    • Hi Guys, I just thought of giving update on my case. I finally got my EGD done and unfortunately, the conclusion is I have Celiac. There was Villus atrophy and presence of Inflammatory Cells, looks like the atrophy of Villi isn't that worse yet, but of course, I need to get on strict gluten free diet right away. I am planning to see a Dietitian next week to have a healthy gluten free diet plan. Any suggestions from the experts in here are most welcome and appreciated. Thanks  
    • Hi this is my first time commenting but I just had to. I too get chest tightness. I have had it flare up several times with no answers. I was diagnosed with celiac about 6 months ago and am pretty confident this is a glutening symptom for me. Last month it was so bad... Started with random chest pains for a couple days then chest tightness that last for two weeks. I ended up going to the emergency room ( again) because I started worrying about my heart. Felt like my bra was so tight, bloated belly, trapped gas like pain in chest, swollen lump under sternum and no relief. EKG, chest xray and blood tests showed heart was fine. GI said he didn't think it was GI related. I give up on doctors. I've had this before and I'm sure I will again. It's like inflammation in there or something but it makes you anxious and uncomfortable. I truly hope you are okay and I hope it will give you some comfort to know you aren't the only one with this.
    • While I agree that getting more sleep when ill or stressed is a must, many people can easily get by on 6 hours of sleep a night.  Not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep.  Sleep needs, like the gluten-free diet, is different for everyone.  Nursing school can be very tough so it may be hard to get 8 hours every night.  I think the most important thing is to make sure no gluten is getting into your diet at all so you feel well and can manage your schedule better.  Good luck to you!
    • What does this result mean exactly?   Endomysial Abs, IgA Negative   Negative Transglutaminase IgA <2 U/mL 0 - 3 U/mL Negative 0 - 3
      Weak Positive 4 - 10
      Positive >10
      Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified
      as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstr-
      ated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99%
      specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy. Immunoglobulin A (IgA) 518 mg/dL 87 - 352 mg/dL
  • Upcoming Events