This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiety, Ocd Started After Re-Introducing Gluten?

JohanJohan

JohanJohan Rookie

In short.

1. Went gluten free. Felt amazing.

2. After a week i got tired from the lack of carbs. Started to eat rice and at restaurants again, but no gluten. Probably got small amounts in me now and then anyway from sauses etc. First week effect wore off.

3. Two months later i decided to have half a pizza. To see what would happen (idiot). Woke up with rapid thoughts and heavy anxiety.

4. Three weeks later and i still have anxiety every second day (never had that before). Borderline OCD (never had that before either). Been 100% gluten free. I think. Dont eat out, buy whole foods etc. 

Is this normal? Can glutened induced anxiety really stay this long?  Will it go away?

I have seen a ton of other symptoms go away in these three weeks being gluten free. Symptons i always had. But the ocd and anxiety i got when i reintroduced the pizza is not leaving. :( The thoughts of getting a full blown ocd, schizophrenia scares me and gives me even more anxiety.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chiana Apprentice

Worrying about schizophrenia (which is extremely unlikely) is just going to make things worse.  Relax, and realize that this stuff takes a lot of time.  You can check for hidden sources of gluten, like in your raw chicken (sad but true..some companies inject their raw chicken with mystery broth for 'added juicyness' or whatever they want to claim to sell it at a higher weight). 

There are also a lot of other factors.  For instance, do you consume anything that contains caffeine?  I used to think caffeine had no effect on me until I stopped drinking it, then started again.  Also, hormonal changes (even in men) from the improvement in diet, and weather have an effect.  I get a little loopy every january to march from being cooped up without exercise and light.  Your body is adjusting to something hugely different.  It took me 6 months to feel better.  You'll get there.

As a tip: try to stick to 25% whole grains, 25% protein, 50% vegetables(with the occasional piece of fruit in there) by mass for awhile, and see how you feel.  Skip corn and go for things like brown rice, and quinoa.  Make sure some of your vegetables are dark green, every day.  Nutrition is all about ratios.

cavernio Enthusiast

8 months gluten-free still waiting for my depression and fatigue to go away. People get DH, skin issues from gluten for years after having stopped it, something about your antibodies getting into your skin. Same might go for your brain. Also, neurons seem to heal differently than a lot of other parts of our bodies, often takes longer. And as for it being worse than before you went gluten free, that seems pretty standard for all of the other more standard symptoms, so I would expect it to be worse now than it was. Unfortunately.

And ditto on the caffeine. People like to say coffee's good and look for studies that show it's good because all of north america is addicted. (eg: celiacs are unlikely to have cholesterol issues while eating gluten, but that doesn't mean we should be eating gluten!)

Anyways, sounds like you haven't been tested for celiac disease yet. I strongly suggest getting tested so you can at least hope on getting proper medical attention, unless you think you might get delusional or something before you get the test done (have to eat gluten for it). If you find you don't have it, you can still go gluten free, which seems smart since you've noticed so much of a difference. Gluten free doesn't mean entirely grain free either, there are plenty of carb heavy sweets and breads and crackers out there that are certified gluten free. (Although a lot of people who don't feel better just gluten free will adopt stricter diets as they find they have more food intolerances/issues.)

JohanJohan Rookie

Worrying about schizophrenia (which is extremely unlikely) is just going to make things worse.  Relax, and realize that this stuff takes a lot of time.  You can check for hidden sources of gluten, like in your raw chicken (sad but true..some companies inject their raw chicken with mystery broth for 'added juicyness' or whatever they want to claim to sell it at a higher weight). 

There are also a lot of other factors.  For instance, do you consume anything that contains caffeine?

As a tip: try to stick to 25% whole grains, 25% protein, 50% vegetables(with the occasional piece of fruit in there) by mass for awhile, and see how you feel.  Skip corn and go for things like brown rice, and quinoa.  Make sure some of your vegetables are dark green, every day.  Nutrition is all about ratio

Thanks for your answer :)

Had no idea about possible gluten in chicken. Guess that doesnt apply if you buy chicken from the butchers department in a supermarket?

No, i stopped with coffee as well. Pretty much just eating beef, chicken, fish, beef liver, bananas, olive oil and sweet potatoes now. No nightshades, legumes, dairy, corn, soy etc. Just the above mentioned foods.

Had garlic and onions and felt a bit anxious in the evening. Could be a coincidence. But i figured i dont care, i dont wanna take a chance now. Just want to be normal before starting to reintroducing foods (never gluten).

Bought some really expensive premium probiotics. Seemed to be the best on the market after some googling, Open Original Shared Link

But I had bad reaction to those in the evening. Almost like i was glutened. Same rapid thoughts as the night i had the pizza. But i did feel very energized during the day.

Tried biokults probiotics before the above. Was fine on those. Didnt feel anything at all. 

JohanJohan Rookie

8 months gluten-free still waiting for my depression and fatigue to go away.

Sorry to hear its taking time. Some symptoms must have improved i guess?

so I would expect it to be worse now than it was. 

Unfortunately.

Hmm.. really..? Does anxiety increase after going gluten free? I heard you can get more sensitive (true in my case) and have stronger reactions. But i havent been glutened. Feels like 3 weeks is a long reaction.

(eg: celiacs are unlikely to have cholesterol issues while eating gluten, but that doesn't mean we should be eating gluten!)

Weird, i was tested a bit high in cholesterol while on gluten.

Anyways, sounds like you haven't been tested for celiac disease yet. 

No im self diognosed. Had so many symptoms go away when going gluten free that im 110% sure. But still not sure if i have celiac or gluten intolerance + leaky gut. Anyway, gluten is the main bad guy. 

Some things fixed in these 3 weeks: no ridges or white spots on finger nails, hair improved, brain fog gone, drowsiness gone, fatigue decreased, arm pit sweat gone, etc etc. 

good luck cavernio and thanks again for your reply 

JohanJohan Rookie

In case someone googles and find this thread, i should that going low carb seemed to help a lot. Around 50g/day. Diet consist of meat, fish, bananas, carrots, olive oil. Everything else is cut out at the moment. A lot of fat is needed. So rib eye steaks, bacon and salmon are good choices.

Archived