• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
1desperateladysaved

Family: "what Health Problem."

Rate this topic

I had 30+ years of celiac disease symptoms.  My symptoms are mostly neurological.  Namely brain fog, fatigue, and numbness.

Now, I have been gluten free for 10 months.  My family is complying with most of my pleas for my diet to be right.  They have seen me eat in the car when they go to restaurants.  I have brought my own food when going to relatives. I am taking many supplements daily.   IS this just for fun?

Yesterday, my husband came up with the idea of having a prayer meeting for someone's health in our family.  None of my children 8-20 knew who in the family we would pray for.  They didn't see us having any problem so severe as to require one.  We had just attended a prayer meeting for someone with an Auto-Immune disease.  Now, that is severe enough to warrant it.

We have experienced this denial for quite a while.  My doctor wrote a letter to my family last summer.  She said that I had an illness (5 years back) that was severe enough to cause death or severe disability.  She also stated that I had been making progress, but still had a ways to go. 

All of the while (and still) my family doesn't know?!  I have a great family; I don't know how I got them.  But I just can't understand how come my severe illness is not acknowledged.  Do I hide it that well? Or do I just look like a complete jerk?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Because people have the inability to see it. It is not like, say, loosing a limb. They can see that. Something like celiac disease doesn't fall into it. They just do not see it regardless of how cruddy you are feeling.

You probably do hide it well. Most of my family had no clue that I had it...hang in there.

((Hug))

Since it's not something they can "see", most people just don't get it. It's along the same lines as PTSD or any other mental illness. If a person isn't "visibly" ill, like coughing, bleeding, or anything like that, people just assume that it's not that big of a deal. Most people lack the ability to empathize already, but when it comes to something they don't even understand or see, it's even worse. I have been accused of over exaggerating my Celiac and my pituitary tumor. It sucks, but unfortunately that's  how most people work. They are even worse when they have never been ill themselves, so they don't understand the daily struggle of someone who is ill.

Did you tell them that celiac disease IS an auto-immune disease?

Ads by Google:

Did you tell them that celiac disease IS an auto-immune disease?

Yes, that is exactly what I said before I was shusshed.  We do have younger children that we do not want to upset.

i think that we do hide it so well, we don't look sick.  i was glutened recently and it takes TWO WEEKS to recover from a hit for me.  after about 3 or 4 days, everybody forgets that my body is still so sore and sick and out of whack.  "what's the matter?  why are you so tired?  why don't you eat ______??  it's gluten-free.... "  PEOPLE.  IT TAKES TWO WEEKS FOR ME TO RECOVER.  seriously, i should wear a countdown clock on my head or something.  and i hate to keep saying, "remember TEN DAYS AGO when i told you i got gluten.  well, it's the gift that keeps on-a-giving  :(  even if *you* forgot about it, doesn't make me 'better' any faster.  

honestly, repeating myself about stupid gluten makes me feel/sound like a hypochondriac sometimes.  but here it is, day 15, and i am out of bed, dishes done, laundry put away, etc.  what a difference from even 2 days ago.  i am loading up on protein today, can't get enough of it :)  today.

don't feel alone, ((hugs)), and thank you GOD for this forum.  y'all have a blessed day!!

• Upvote 1

Yes, that is exactly what I said before I was shusshed.  We do have younger children that we do not want to upset.

i call b.s. - my grandbabies all know meemo has celiac disease and has to eat gluten-free.  even when they pretend to cook with their play dishes, they make mine gluten-free.  ("don't worry, meemo, it's not on regular (pretend) bread - we make your samwiches from your freezer bread") and they are FOUR. they could care less about auto-immune and they pray for me anyway.  i never lied to my children about something like that - how will they ever learn coping skills?  eventually they have to go out into the harsh world.  i would rather have them learn things like that at home.  

• Upvote 1

i call b.s. - my grandbabies all know meemo has celiac disease and has to eat gluten-free.  even when they pretend to cook with their play dishes, they make mine gluten-free.  ("don't worry, meemo, it's not on regular (pretend) bread - we make your samwiches from your freezer bread") and they are FOUR. they could care less about auto-immune and they pray for me anyway.  i never lied to my children about something like that - how will they ever learn coping skills?  eventually they have to go out into the harsh world.  i would rather have them learn things like that at home.  

Oh, the friend we were praying for has been in the spot of obvious coming death and did end up with what is thought to be permanent impairment.  His kidneys fail.  I have problems, but so far I can go on.  The children may have been confused if I kept up my comparison.  I am sure the older ones did catch it. 

I wasn't shusshed for what I said, but for what I might say next.

I wouldn't advocate lying either, they know I have celiac and the little ones are great helpers for me.  Yes, I have had pretend hamburgers on lettuce!  But they don't need to know yet, if the situation might not come to the resolution we desire:   Namely Life and energy restored in this world.  There would perhaps be a time to explain that when and if the situation gets worse.  I am hoping I can serve (better than now) as I heal.