This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free For 3 Months - Now Symptoms Again?

smpalesh

smpalesh Explorer

I have been gluten-free for 3 months and I started to feel better after about a month and over the last 2 weeks I've started to feel really sick again.  I don't think I am getting cross-contaminated bc I am being really careful.  The rest of my family (husband and 3 kids) all eat gluten but I wash my hands after handling their food.  I am really, really hoping that I am not also sensitive to dairy.  I drink two smoothies a day as part of my diet plan to lose weight (visalus smoothies) and after cutting out so much already I don't want to cut out dairy. :(  How would I know if I have other sensitivities?  Or is it possible that I am getting cross-contaminated somehow?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Its always possible to get CC'd in a shared home.

Are teh smoothies safe?

smpalesh Explorer

Its always possible to get CC'd in a shared home.

Are teh smoothies safe?

I just went and read the ingredients.  The package says gluten-free but it does say it's processed on equipment that is used to process wheat products.  Is that a problem?  How do you avoid being CC'd? I am already doing my own toaster and things like peanut butter.  We make sure counters are wiped and things are cooked separately. I'm not going to forced my kids and husband to go gluten-free just because I have to.

Mdhriggin Newbie

The smoothie ingredients could be getting cross contaminated at the plant. Are you using a shared blender? That could do it too. Also, many people with gluten issues have trouble with casein, whether permanent or temporary. Maybe try no smoothies for a few days, them try some without the possibility of cross contamination.

mushroom Proficient

It's more likely the lactose in the milk than the casein.  Just as a test, drink a glass of milk, or some ice cream, and see what happens.  If within an hour you find yourself in the bathroom, you can blame the lactose. :)

Takala Enthusiast

To find out if you have other sensitivities, you go to a very simple diet until your symptoms resolve.  This would be food in its basic form of meat, chicken, fish, egg, nuts, fruits, vegetables, good fats/oils, and perhaps one simple clean form of grain, such as plain cooked rice.   Then you would add in ONE ingredient at a time, and see what your reaction to it would be.  Where people screw this up is adding more than one thing in, and then they can't tell what the culprit is.  Or they eat out, and get slammed by a bad restaurant meal.  

The is a huge learning curve with gluten free diets, as individuals vary to reactions to cross contamination.

That being said, if your return of symptoms coincided with starting to drink these soy-protein smoothies that are sweetened artificially with sucralose (aka "Splenda", which can have its own side effects which include those mimicing celiac symptoms Open Original Shared Link  ) 

the answer is, perhaps, to drink something else. 

smpalesh Explorer

No, I've been drinking these smoothies all along, from day 1.  So it probably isn't that.  I don't know why the symptoms have come back.  I do notice that I react to some products that are labelled gluten free like Enjoy Life cookies or certain kinds of crackers and I can't figure out why.  I am going to try eating more natural foods and less gluten free products and see if that helps.  I also told my husband and kids that they need to be way more careful about crumbs and cleaning up after themselves.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CaliSparrow Collaborator

I'm four months along and recently eliminated dairy from my diet. The experts recommend eliminating dairy for six months while the gut is healing. After six months, most can reintroduce dairy without any problems. I believe that I have a lot of sensitivities to food that the symptoms of gluten were covering up. You know when you have a big pain, you don't feel lesser pain? This is how it seems to be going for me.

Good luck on your journey.

Cali (and missing cheese!)

EricaM15 Rookie

I personally don't believe cross-contamination is an issue. I think most often it's a reaction to another food and has nothing to do with contamination. If you have Celiac Disease, it's likely that you have secondary allergies to foods other than gluten. I experienced the same thing about a month of being gluten-free and vegan--I realized I was sensitive to all grains in addition to gluten and lactose/casein. I'd suggest trying to eliminate certain food groups for at least 2-3 weeks at a time (the longer the better) and see how it makes you feel. After that, you can try to slowly reintroduce foods to see how you react. It's likely that you're sensitive to either dairy or grains.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Robert Noah
    Newest Member
    Robert Noah
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B