This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Periods

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Lately celiac has really been messing with my period.  Like for instance, in Nov.  I had 2 periods in one month.  Dec. and Jan were normal-ish.  I had one in Late Feb. and now I am having another one.  They seem to come at random.  Very annoying.  I also feel like crap on my period.  I am still dealing with intestinal inflammation and malabsorbtion issues.  My intestine is still really raw and inflamed.  (i've only been at this since the beginning of Jan with screw-ups in between.  I had to do a gluten challenge and it was horrible. I am dealing with all of that still)  a period does not help matters.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I found that gluten makes any PMS type symptoms worse.  I also had issues with very heavy periods on gluten.  Depending on your age, it could be peri menopause.  Celiac can cause early menopause.  I heard that in a recent webinar you can access here: Open Original Shared Link

I'm really sorry that you had to suffer through a gluten challenge.  Whatever it is, I hope that you feel better soon.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks Steph.  I have noticed that gluten makes my PMS worse.  It also causes heavy and irregular periods.  Sadly, my undiagnosed celiac that went on for years robbed me from my chance of having children.  I think it is a combo.  of gluten and peri.  I am over 40 so that could def. be involved.  

I was gluten free for 3 years and started having problems.  I went to a new gastro and he had me do a gluten challenge.  I lasted a few days and am still paying the price.  I developed DH everywhere and the intestinal issues are still causing me problems.  My gut feels tender and swollen and a period made it so much worse.

Thanks.  

Edited for my horrible typing skills.   :)

dilettantesteph Collaborator
Hippocratic Oath

"I will Open Original Shared Link regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and Open Original Shared Link to anyone."

mommyof4 Apprentice

I'm glad you brought this question up.  I find that sometimes it is difficult to know if symptoms I deal with are related to Celiac Disease, aging, peri-menopause, "normal" woman issues...it's crazy to sift through!

Have you been in to see your gyno just to make sure everything is ok?    

I have had some issues with ovulation & my periods also...I am 41 yrs old & was dianosed Celiac in Fall of 2011...not sure how many years undiagnosed.  What is crazy with me, is my G.I. issues get worse during ovulation & my period.  My paps are normal & I've had my ovaries ultrasounded.

Thank you, Steph, for that link to the webinar about perimenopause.  I've talked to my G.I. dr about my issues with my period.  The main response I get is that inflammation during those times of the month can affect our whole system, but to make sure I am seeing my gyno. also.

Anyways, sorry you are dealing with this...keep us posted on how things are going.

GFreeMO Proficient

Steph, that is my thought exactly!

mommy of 4, I was at the gyn in Dec.  I mentioned it to her and she didn't seem at all concerned.  Just a celiac or peri thing I suppose.  

LauraB0927 Apprentice

After going gluten free, I noticed that my PMS and period symptoms became much worse too - once I even called the GYN to ask for a pain medication because Midol (my usual go-to for period pains) wasn't even making a dent anymore.  I was surprised when she switched my birth control medication to something else - I thought, "yeah ok, this wont work but I'll humor her this time.."  Now its been fine and my periods are very light without the pain.  Would you consider taking birth control just to regulate yourself and your periods??  Just a thought...  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CaliSparrow Collaborator

Also childless here. However, my periods were regular like clockwork until going gluten-free. Then I missed three in a row and now back on schedule. I think I've had this for so long, it would be impossible to know what "normal" is regarding PMS and menstrual symptoms. Being a rookie at Celiac, the longest I've made it is 35 days without being glutened (which means I'm either suffering or recovering when my period hits). Everything is awfully close in proximity in there and it stands to reason any inflammation will increase symptoms in either direction.

I thought it weird that my body reacted AFTER I eliminated gluten but think I threw everything into roller coaster mode with the back & forth issues of mistakes & recovery.

EricaM15 Rookie

I've been having a similar problem. I was diagnosed with PCOS last October. I had a bad reaction to the medication they gave me to manage the symptoms, and I decided to go gluten-free at the beginning of December. When I was eliminating gluten, my periods came on time with no medication (only two or three times in a row), but now it seems like it's late every time I discover a new intolerance. Thankfully, it hasn't been painful. Last month, I had breakthrough bleeding that lasted a week before my period actually came. It's frustrating, but I assume once I get everything stable, it will start to regulate itself the way it should.

Archived