This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Microwave Frozen Meals

kareng

kareng Grand Master

I am currently eating an Artisan Bistro gluten-free frozen " meal". This one is the Cheddar Beef Bake. I microwaved it and its pretty tasty. Not very big or cheesy but has a nice spicyness. Only 250 calories so it can't be very big. Not sure about the price as I got them on sale for about $2.89.

Organic, grass- fed no hormone beef.

Open Original Shared Link

I will buy more.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

That would make my life SO MUCH EASIER! If only there was a gluten, soy, dairy, corn free one, i'd be all set.   :)

Glad you found something tasty!  

julissa Explorer

totally agree, if you find any gluten-free DF SF good meals, please post!!

GFreeMO Proficient

julissa, I think we are SOL on that one.     :huh:  :wacko:

julissa Explorer

julissa, I think we are SOL on that one.     :huh:  :wacko:

yeah, I am feeling that

kareng Grand Master

They have different "flavors".  Looks like some are dairy and soy free.

And really, folks...this is a Celiac forum...these are gluten free.  If they don't work for you because you can't or don't like an ingredient, fine.  No need to trash them or complain that I haven't posted something you would use.  People post recipes for quinoa.  I don't like quinoa but I don't post that the recipe sucks & could they find recipes without it.

julissa Explorer

sorry Karen, I didn't mean anything negative. I am just jealous that I have so many issues and can't eat the meal you posted about. I am glad you found something that works for you :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Same here.  Just a bit jealous as I sit here with gut cramps and a fever from my celiac.  You are lucky that you can eat mainstream gluten free foods.  I am on a strict nothing processed diet.  My GI doctor said that it is the only way that I personally will get better.  This has been and is so so difficult for me.  I would give anything to be able to eat some gluten free processed foods and dairy products.

Sorry if I offended you.

-mo

GFreeMO Proficient

Also, how in the heck did you find my first post offensive.  I was saying that I was glad that you found something tasty that worked for you.  

I am getting tired of coming here to this forum for support and I get my bootie chewed out for something.  I started posting in the super sensitive section where I probably belong but non-super sensitives go there and I get slammed there too.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Perhaps that question would be better as a pm?

Just a thought.

At any rate, I'm glad you found something you like. :)

I'd rather make and freeze, but its good to know there is an alternative.

Gemini Experienced

C'mon, guys.....what the heck are you getting all upset about?  Kareng's post made me laugh because there are others who trash processed gluten-free stuff all the time, trying to make people feel guilty for eating them and somehow implying that those of us who can incorporate some processed foods in our diet aren't being stringent with the diet.  I've seen the posts.  I think Kareng might have been trying to avoid that aspect of it and wasn't posting to insult anyone. At least that's what I thought but what the hell do I know?  ;)

GFreeMO.....As you have so many food intolerances right now, it might be that once you heal, you will be able to include some processed stuff like this down the road.  There is hope! 

GFreeMO Proficient

Heck I dunno.  :unsure:

Gemini, I sure hope that you are right.  B/c all of this cooking from scratch is a PITA.  Before my stupid gluten challenge, I could eat a few processed foods. Now, nothing. Meat, fruit and veg.  Sucks

Sorry to hijack your thread Karen!  

Carry on celiacs...don't mind me.   :)

Adalaide Mentor

These look interesting. A few have soy, a few don't so if I can find them around here I could try them and see how I like them. I've had to give up almost everything processed at this point because on top of soy I have had to entirely cut out MSG which is apparently in everything. :ph34r: The website says that they're at one of the local health food stores, but it got bought last year and the website is still calling it by the old name. I'll have to see how that turns out. Grocery shopping day isn't for another week anyway so I have to add it to the list and be patient. Not one of my virtues. :lol: I quit even glancing at these things in the freezer, knowing I could never eat them again so I'm glad you brought my attention to these.

These days microwave meals means that when I make a meatloaf or casserole or something, I divvy up the leftovers and freeze them so I can have something to yank out and microwave. It isn't as glamorous as buying a microwave meal but hey, it still gives me an option for when I'm just too damn lazy to cook.

kareng Grand Master

Maybe I'm being a bit touchy but it seems like we can't post a "processed" food we like without a lot of "I can't eat that" and "its not good for you because".  I think I have a right to get a bit pissed once in a while, too.  I usually get over it quickly because I like youse guys.  :wub:  I really didn't expect any comments, except maybe a "yea. I Iike the chicken one" or "I'm going to look for those". 

The fact is that right now there are 3 guests looking at this thread.  Maybe they googled gluten-free frozen dinners and this might be helpful.  I would bet that the majority of Celiacs in the US do not have multiple intolerances and often eat processed gluten-free foods.  I think we see a small sub-set of Celiacs and gluten intolerants on here.  That small sub-set are mostly new to Celiac disease or having extraordinary problems that keep them on here.  I stay on because I think we need to have someone who represents the "common" Celiac. 

Back to the topic - these are small meals. the one I had was tasty but I needed a nice salad or some fruit and a cookie to fill me up.  a glass of wine would have been nice but it was noon.  A bit early for me.  :blink:

Adalaide Mentor

A glass of wine is just grapes that have gotten better with age. Much like many of us have. Of course some of us get better after a glass of wine too. :P

And I'm still glad you said something. When I do my shopping at 300 grocery stores trip I'll see what I can dig up. (Okay, it is only 5/6 but it feels like 300 some days!)

mushroom Proficient

Product reviews are always helpful and don't let we folks with green eyes put you off doing them :)   I'm like GFreeMO, I long since gave up even looking in the frozen meal case (helps speed me through the store :P and keeps the dial down on my annoyance meter), but it's nice to know that others are being well served by the gluten-free food industry.

GFreeMO Proficient

Product reviews are always helpful and don't let we folks with green eyes put you off doing them :)   I'm like GFreeMO, I long since gave up even looking in the frozen meal case (helps speed me through the store :P and keeps the dial down on my annoyance meter), but it's nice to know that others are being well served by the gluten-free food industry.

Amen Sista!  Also keeps the grocery bill down.   :)

GottaSki Mentor

Wine...that sounds perfect -- one more errand and then Zin :D

Gemini Experienced

Heck I dunno.  :unsure:

Gemini, I sure hope that you are right.  B/c all of this cooking from scratch is a PITA.  Before my stupid gluten challenge, I could eat a few processed foods. Now, nothing. Meat, fruit and veg.  Sucks

Sorry to hijack your thread Karen!  

Carry on celiacs...don't mind me.   :)

I wanted to add that I really do understand your frustration over your ultra limited diet.  I did the candida diet twice in my life, pre-Celiac diagnosis and that was a total b%$@# to do.  I really did have a systemic candida problem and constantly suffered with bouts of thrush.  It was all because of the Celiac I did not know I had and it really disrupted the flora balance in my gut.  I had to abstain from all kinds of sugar....totally, because sugar feeds yeast. The only carb I could eat was brown rice because that is a whole carb and my doctor didn't want me losing any more weight.  I was already too thin to begin with.   But it was essentially protein and veggies.......the only fruit I could eat was underripe bananas. Yoghurt had to be totally sugar free.  I did it for a year and it worked really well but it was the most food boring year of my life.  I never went out to eat, either.  No alcohol.  Man, I can't believe I survived it, from an emotional point of view.  I think that's why the gluten-free diet seems so easy to me.  I can eat many more foods now then ever before so thank God for that.

I really believe that if you can stick out the rough part here, you'll gain foods back. But it is a really hard road to follow.  If nothing else, it builds strength of mind and body. But, I understand the urge to just scream your lungs out on occasion..... :)

CommonTater Contributor

Where can we buy these meals? I'd love to pick up some so I have something I can eat when my husband wants something I can't have.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I've had the meals from Artisan Bistro, they are pretty dang good. I liked the Organic Bistro brand

as well, I don't think they're related. Also, Feel Good Foods makes egg rolls you heat up in the

toaster oven- those are the tastiest frozen gluten free food I've had in 8 years of experimentation.

They're incredible. I'm grain free entirely right now, so I pretty much just can't go in a store that I

know sells them because I just can't stop myself. I have to just not go in..... It's bad.... :ph34r:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Oh, Tater, for any food you want to find in your area, a good strategy is to go to the brand

website. They'll usually have some kind of search engine or guide for how to find their product

in your area.

GF Lover Rising Star

Hooray, Karen has opened the door for those of us who can handle and like a pressed, frozen meal (taboo).  I raise my hand and admit: I love Amys burritos,  yup, get them all the time.  I put warmed salsa on the plate then the cooked burrito then top with shredded cheese.  It is my go to food when hubs is out of ideas, lol.

And also, just like some people will say it tastes like cardboard, my taste buds have evolved to try a food without comparing it to its gluten counterpart.  Hubs has not mastered this yet.  

Thanks for the post Karen.

Colleen.  Open Original Shared Link

Gemini Experienced

I've had the meals from Artisan Bistro, they are pretty dang good. I liked the Organic Bistro brand

as well, I don't think they're related. Also, Feel Good Foods makes egg rolls you heat up in the

toaster oven- those are the tastiest frozen gluten free food I've had in 8 years of experimentation.

They're incredible. I'm grain free entirely right now, so I pretty much just can't go in a store that I

know sells them because I just can't stop myself. I have to just not go in..... It's bad.... :ph34r:

I'll second the thumbs up on the egg rolls.  They have a veggie one and a chicken one. I like the chicken.  They are really, really good, considering there is no gluten in the egg roll.  They are big too, so quite filling.

Gemini Experienced

As long as we are reviewing frozen foods, here's one of my favorites:  Open Original Shared Link

I have only tried the mushroom and feta cheese one but it was delicious......not dry and there is a lot of filling in it.  I cook mine in the oven but you can nuke them too.  They are low cholesterol, low glycemic, gluten free and high in protein....almost the perfect food.

Never gotten sick from one, although I have to take a lactose pill to help with the cheese.....very creamy. They are also very filling.....keeps you full for a long time.

I never would have thought that a frozen egg white omelet would be this good but they are!

Archived