This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Three Months gluten-free, Cramping Again

alesusy

alesusy Explorer

Hello everybody

I'm lactose-intolerant (milk free since last June) and have been a confirmed celiac since the beginning of January but I stopped eating gluten on December 3rd. Generally speaking I've been much better especially in terms of energy, mental clarity, but I did have some bad days. However in the last three weeks I've had bad symptoms again pretty much all the time: light diarroeha followed by glutening symptoms (all the old ones, including anxiety, extreme fatigue etc), and in the last two days also stomach cramping.

Now, the "glutening" episodes I blamed on:

"a fried artichoke in a restaurant: stupid me

" a dish of pasta in the oven made with de-lactosate mozzarella and a white sauce made with de-lactosed milk: I'm too sensitive for this stuff in large quantities

"and a mysterious glutening in the following days, either because of a candied ginger piece (coming from Thailand, may have been the culprit) or on some "madeleine" Gluten Free by a commercial baker, supposedly with no milk but produced in a plant using milk products. So, either gluten, or milk...

Then three days ago I was feeling better (although not WELL) and I tried another madeleine at night: yesterday I woke up with diarroha and I've been cramping since. My colon is spasming just like it used to do before I realised I was lactose intolerant.

Frankly, I'm fed up. Meanwhile I've been to an acupuncturist which might help generally my wellbeing but is not going to cure being celiac, I know that and he knows that.

I'm not exactly having diarroha - just a very frequent stimulus to "go" and small, light, frail stools. (God, sorry to be so graphic). On the other hand this last episode is not a glutening: I'm alert and apart from the cramps I feel fairly well; still medium tired, but basically OK.

I'm doing a whole battery of new tests this coming week for diabetes, tyroid antibodies and some more: I don't think it's any of these but better clear them out..

Possibly a series of assault on my poor guts are making me pay a price. Possibly I'm intolerant to something else, and I have started a food diary.

Possibly there are some sources of gluten contamination around and I'm much more sensitive than I thought. How the hell did I manage to actually EAT gluten up until December without ending in the ER, I wonder?

Now I ask for advice... What do you think?

-Can eating something that possibly came into contact with milk make me have spasm for two full days?

- Should I replace all my pans and pots, some of which are fairly scratched? I live alone and nobody else has been cooking with my stuff which has all been properly dishwashed...

- I've been checking my shampoos and soaps and it is not always easy to understand whether they DO have dangerous stuff in, although I've been checking the ingredients on the net.

- Can a gluten free industrial cake be dangerous? Ingredients include glycerol, rapeseed oil, some weird things for leavening... and of course the plant uses milk.

Doctors, as usual, are not particularly useful, apart from observing that "it's to soon to wonder whether you might be one of the few unfortunate people who are refractary to diet", which is not very consoling...

thanks you guys

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived