This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

In-N-Out Burgers, Beware The Fryer

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

I thought I'd pass along something interesting that I read recently about their workers.

An employee mentioned in a blog that "employees like to experiment with the ingredients after hours"....he included the recipes for "home-made donuts".

They take rolls, douse them in milkshake mix and deep fry them.

So, in addition to the normal c/c that we endure, even places with "dedicated fryers" are suspect.

I don't assume ANY fast food and/or pizza place has 100% responsible employees. But, you would think that all of the good publicity they get, (this article also mentioned their terrific health benefits) would lead to better supervision.

Just thought you all should know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I thought I'd pass along something interesting that I read recently about their workers.

An employee mentioned in a blog that "employees like to experiment with the ingredients after hours"....he included the recipes for "home-made donuts".

So, in addition to the normal c/c that we endure, even places with "dedicated fryers" are suspect.

I don't assume ANY fast food and/or pizza place has 100% responsible employees. But, you would think that all of the good publicity they get, (this article also mentioned their terrific health benefits) would lead to better supervision.

I would assume that you have acccurate substantiation for your post?  If so, please post it.  Have you contacted the corportate office?  Blogs are not considered to be an accurate assessment.  And slamming established restaurants based on that information might not be a good thing.  If you have FACTS, please present them as such.  If, opinion, please clearify your statement, as stated as Board Rule #5.  Thanks :D   Yeah......just sayin'.

Accuracy is very important around here.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Does that mean we shouldn't reference blog posts? Or does that mean we need to put

the link to the blog post?

psawyer Proficient

Does that mean we shouldn't reference blog posts? Or does that mean we need to put

the link to the blog post?

Neither. It means that blog posts should not be considered a reliable source of information without evidence to back them up. Posting something like this--based on hearsay with no proof--is needless fearmongering. To then expand it to all restataurants (not just the one named), as he does in paragraph five is over the top.

CommonTater Contributor

Thank you, I  have gotten sick eating out so I appreciate knowing. Some of the employees just have no idea how sick this type of thing can make us. It may or may not be true but I would not risk it.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

This is one link, it was widely reported on Yahoo and MSN around the time of my original post.

It's interesting, the difference between a "Forum" and a "Blog".....

As someone who has worked in restaurants, it's not unbelievable that this happens. In fact, it's unbelievable if you think it doesn't.

Lisa Mentor

It's a common red flag here, that any fast food restaurant, is not the best choice for those of us with Celiac Disease. We issue cautions all the time.  But, for some silly reason, Americans are insistant on their fast foods, even the gluten intolerant among us.  We are such a small percentage who would frequent those establishments, yet, we demand that they conform to our diet.   It won't happen - reality check! It's not cost wise.

BUT, I do applaud those who make an attempt.  MY first attemps at gluten free eating was not too acccurate either.   I am fortunate that when I need to, I can eat something at McD's and Wendy's.  And I always assume the risk, should I get ill. I never fault the establishment because it was me that place the order.  And to be very honest about it, one glutening will not kill me.  It just helps me make a better choice next time.

I think we should all be good Citizens and encourage progressive menus from the restaurants around us. 

PS:  I would assume a blog (one persons opinion) and a forum (several peoples opinion) would be similar.  But a forum can be progressive with support information provided in a post, to support an opinion - should one be expressed. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kristenloeh Community Regular

I avoid fast food completely just because I just plain don't trust them to not poison me.

Takala Enthusiast

All the In&Outs that I have eaten at are allergy- aware, and knock on wood, none of them have "gotten" me with the fries, and this is compared to some pricier places with dedicated gluten-free menus, that have.   I really don't think this alleged dunking rolls in the fryers is a standard after hours procedure for this restaurant.  I had read the original link on HuffPo and it has taken on the status of urban legend, there was no time frame given, it could have happened many years ago, before most people had ever heard of "gluten free."   

pretty in paleo Apprentice

I have decided not to eat any fried foods at restaurants. Especially because they use highly processed oils which are extremely unhealthy thanks to the transfats

psawyer Proficient

I have decided not to eat any fried foods at restaurants. Especially because they use highly processed oils which are extremely unhealthy thanks to the transfats

You say that the oils all have transfats. Do you have a source for that claim?
GottaSki Mentor

We...six celiacs in my family LOVE In and Out.  I can't currently eat their fries...but it is the potato, not the oil that gets me.

My kids and grands all eat there...it is the only fast food that all of us can order food safely.

When we travel we often run into other folks with allergy concerns - I applaud this company for consistently training their employees.

Archived