This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Can't I Lose Weight?

ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

So...

As many of you know, I have been practically primal for over three months now. it does help a lot with my tummy, especially since I have limited my intake to 3 brazil nuts per day.

90% of what I eat is whole foods; the 10% of foods including human intervention are: milk and yogurt, coconut bread, sometimes two tablespoons of organic fruit spread (unsweetened) at breakfast, and, increasingly rarely because I've had reactions to it, very very dark chocolate. I only drink water, coffee, and tea; rarely enjoy a glass of wine if dining out (read: no more than twice per month).

I exercise 6 days a week (sometimes 7, or on the 7th day I walk a lot) for 90-120 minutes: usually half medium-high impact cardio, and half strength training; I rotate activities - dancing, bootcamping, running, etc.

I am hyperthyroid - or so I was in January. I have all antibodies for both Grave's and Hashimoto. My FT3 and FT4 were through the roof. I am getting treatment trying not to suppress my thyroid function because I have seen lots of "suppress and replace cases" around me which did. not. go. well. Many symptoms are disappearing. Insomnia, especially, is mostly gone. My period is back - sorry for TMI - after being in menopause for a year and a half (I am 30) following being underweight due to thyrotoxic crisis in 2011.

Now I am 30 lbs overweight, and no matter how hard I try I do not lose weight, but pounds keep creeping up. I gained 15 in a week in July 2012. I was hypERthyroid then. Then I gained 8 lbs in a month in October, soon after going gluten-free. I was still hypERthyroid. Then I gained 7 lbs in the past few months, while being primal/low-carb/calorie counting. AND *very* hypER.

My joints hurt from excess weight. I cannot move properly and I used to be a ballet bun. :( Lots of this is water weight - I have hypoalbulinemia. My cortisol levels are below range, so that's not what's making me fat.

What is going on with me? It is not just frustrating that no matter what I do my weight goes up and up, it is also scary, because no one seems to have neither an explanation nor a solution. :( :( :( :(

I want to cry :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

I would appear you are not absorbing protein...have you tried digestive enzymes?

So...

As many of you know, I have been practically primal for over three months now. it does help a lot with my tummy, especially since I have limited my intake to 3 brazil nuts per day.

90% of what I eat is whole foods; the 10% of foods including human intervention are: milk and yogurt, coconut bread, sometimes two tablespoons of organic fruit spread (unsweetened) at breakfast, and, increasingly rarely because I've had reactions to it, very very dark chocolate. I only drink water, coffee, and tea; rarely enjoy a glass of wine if dining out (read: no more than twice per month).

I exercise 6 days a week (sometimes 7, or on the 7th day I walk a lot) for 90-120 minutes: usually half medium-high impact cardio, and half strength training; I rotate activities - dancing, bootcamping, running, etc.

I am hyperthyroid - or so I was in January. I have all antibodies for both Grave's and Hashimoto. My FT3 and FT4 were through the roof. I am getting treatment trying not to suppress my thyroid function because I have seen lots of "suppress and replace cases" around me which did. not. go. well. Many symptoms are disappearing. Insomnia, especially, is mostly gone. My period is back - sorry for TMI - after being in menopause for a year and a half (I am 30) following being underweight due to thyrotoxic crisis in 2011.

Now I am 30 lbs overweight, and no matter how hard I try I do not lose weight, but pounds keep creeping up. I gained 15 in a week in July 2012. I was hypERthyroid then. Then I gained 8 lbs in a month in October, soon after going gluten-free. I was still hypERthyroid. Then I gained 7 lbs in the past few months, while being primal/low-carb/calorie counting. AND *very* hypER.

My joints hurt from excess weight. I cannot move properly and I used to be a ballet bun. :( Lots of this is water weight - I have hypoalbulinemia. My cortisol levels are below range, so that's not what's making me fat.

What is going on with me? It is not just frustrating that no matter what I do my weight goes up and up, it is also scary, because no one seems to have neither an explanation nor a solution. :( :( :( :(

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

What type of doctor do you see?

Are you on vitamin/mineral supplaments?

Are you on adrenal supplaments?

Hormone supplaments?

I'll be brief because of time constraints. You may have high rt3. That can screw up weight loss.

You can be swelling from AI in general, and that affects your workouts. You may be overdoing it. Actually, I'd almost be assured you are.

You may be gaining muscle along with still gaining water and/or fat.

It sounds like you have hormonal as well as celiac damage. It can take a long time to hit something resembling normal. I go through stages where nothing happens (I work out every other day) then wham - 2 inches gone BUT I GAIN WEIGHT. WTF??? I can't possibly be gaining that much muscle....

Anyway, thyroid is a Beotch. I've been on all I mentioned above and after 6 months of fairly regular (for me) workouts ive only managed to lose 10-15 lbs depending on my temperamental scale. I stopped gaining, at least, but haven't gotten out of my same size pants. Good news is I didn't go up, which I would have done if I didn't work out. So, my point is that thyroid and exercise and weight gain/loss don't happen "like they should". You can work your butt off and get nowhere. Or work enough to make your butt fall off and the damn thing just gets bigger.

I found a very good nd with an RN background. She is rather insistent about supporting AI people's adrenals. And it works. You may have deeper issues with your thyroid than I do - I'm Hashis but so far haven't had other issues (ha, like it isn't enough).

So, something is off. You shouldn't be gaining weight like that. Find another doc that will listen and support you. It's a first step. Other things may be tweaking your diet. Personally, if I fast I don't lose fat. And I tend to skip meals....and I hate salads.

With your hypoalbumenia (I spelled that wrong...) weight gain should be setting off alarms with your doctor.

Ghosty Newbie

Just wanted to add I know it sucks when it seems like you are doing everything right, and still not seeing the results you want.  

It definitely does sound like something bigger, like Thyroid, may be going on.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on that.  However, also keep in mind, that even when eating "clean", it still comes down to calories consumed, and whether you are burning more than taking in.  It is definitely possible to gain weight while eating Paleo / Primal.  Just to be sure, you may want to consider figuring out what you're caloric intake should be, then using something like Fitday (or one of the many variations) to keep track of your caloric intake.  Try to come in at 500 calories less than you burn and see how that goes.  

Consider ditching the milk too.  I'm not saying milk is good or bad, but I think when someone is trying to lean out, dairy, and cow milk in particular, can be prohibitive.

You also are working out quite a bit.  Consider giving yourself some days off.  Days where you walk at a fast pace for two hours is not a day off either!  :)  Your body needs time to repair and rest.  Maybe take one of those walks (on a work out day) fasted early in the day, and see if that helps out 

Just my thoughts.  Sounds like you are really doing some great things.  I hope you get this sorted out.   :)

GF Lover Rising Star

i would go to an Endocrinologist.   She can address the thyroid and cortisol levels.  Don't dismiss the low cortisol as having no connection.  Thyroid and cortisol control alot of hormones and this is an area for a Doctor and not a "Do it yourself" issue.

Goodluck getting it all worked out.

Colleen 

EricaM15 Rookie

I experienced a lot of prediabetes symptoms along with thyroid issues and several other problems, simply from undiagnosed Celiac. I was never overweight according to my doctors, but I had an unusual fat distribution that made me technically overweight for my own body--all of my fat went straight to my abdomen and nowhere else. I've been extremely vigilent about changing my diet in order to heal, and it's worked wonderfully. Most of my symptoms are gone and my body has been slowly transforming.

I don't want to scare you, but there may be problems with other organs in your body besides just your thyroid, especially since you were experiencing insomnia and menstrual problems--symptoms I had myself. I'd personally recommend eliminating starches, sugar, and lactose to help stabilize your bloodsugar. It's likely to help you lose weight as well. I don't know what kind of foods you've been eating, but the few that you mentioned are all fairly high in calories and sugar (lactose is metabolized as sugar). If you limit or eliminate those foods, it should also help immensely. I think everyone is capable of recovering from Celiac without the help of medication, it's just a matter of knowing what foods your body needs. I'd also recommend looking into primitive dieting (paleo or raw vegan) if you're not seeing any improvement.

GottaSki Mentor

You are doing a great job. 

For me...the weight - it wasn't really "weight" in my case -- the inflammation caused by problematic foods kept me very "heavy" for decades.  

My final piece of the puzzle was histamine intolerance...but yours may be different.

I'm tired...so let me know if you need me to clarify this post.

Hang in there :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I experienced a lot of prediabetes symptoms along with thyroid issues and several other problems, simply from undiagnosed Celiac. I was never overweight according to my doctors, but I had an unusual fat distribution that made me technically overweight for my own body--all of my fat went straight to my abdomen and nowhere else. I've been extremely vigilent about changing my diet in order to heal, and it's worked wonderfully. Most of my symptoms are gone and my body has been slowly transforming.

I don't want to scare you, but there may be problems with other organs in your body besides just your thyroid, especially since you were experiencing insomnia and menstrual problems--symptoms I had myself. I'd personally recommend eliminating starches, sugar, and lactose to help stabilize your bloodsugar. It's likely to help you lose weight as well. I don't know what kind of foods you've been eating, but the few that you mentioned are all fairly high in calories and sugar (lactose is metabolized as sugar). If you limit or eliminate those foods, it should also help immensely. I think everyone is capable of recovering from Celiac without the help of medication, it's just a matter of knowing what foods your body needs. I'd also recommend looking into primitive dieting (paleo or raw vegan) if you're not seeing any improvement.

I am already eating primal - have been doing so for several months now, and most of my foods are raw. The foods I mentioned are my only "not more in their natural shape" foods, and those make for no more than 10% of my intake. I eat no starchy vegetables because I don't really like potatoes, either, and I don't like bananas. I also realize now that I should have specified that my dairy intake is around 1 cup daily, because I see now that my phrasing made it sound otherwise. Since I've also been cutting out chocolate these pat few days, due to some bad reactions, there is no added sugar in my diet (nor in my house, LOL!). This is why I am so frustrated.

I would appear you are not absorbing protein...have you tried digestive enzymes?

I have not - yet. But I need to see my internist and I will ask. Which digestive enzymes are you thinking about?

What type of doctor do you see?

Are you on vitamin/mineral supplaments?

Are you on adrenal supplaments?

Hormone supplaments?

I'll be brief because of time constraints. You may have high rt3. That can screw up weight loss.

You can be swelling from AI in general, and that affects your workouts. You may be overdoing it. Actually, I'd almost be assured you are.

You may be gaining muscle along with still gaining water and/or fat.

It sounds like you have hormonal as well as celiac damage. It can take a long time to hit something resembling normal. I go through stages where nothing happens (I work out every other day) then wham - 2 inches gone BUT I GAIN WEIGHT. WTF??? I can't possibly be gaining that much muscle....

Anyway, thyroid is a Beotch. I've been on all I mentioned above and after 6 months of fairly regular (for me) workouts ive only managed to lose 10-15 lbs depending on my temperamental scale. I stopped gaining, at least, but haven't gotten out of my same size pants. Good news is I didn't go up, which I would have done if I didn't work out. So, my point is that thyroid and exercise and weight gain/loss don't happen "like they should". You can work your butt off and get nowhere. Or work enough to make your butt fall off and the damn thing just gets bigger.

I found a very good nd with an RN background. She is rather insistent about supporting AI people's adrenals. And it works. You may have deeper issues with your thyroid than I do - I'm Hashis but so far haven't had other issues (ha, like it isn't enough).

So, something is off. You shouldn't be gaining weight like that. Find another doc that will listen and support you. It's a first step. Other things may be tweaking your diet. Personally, if I fast I don't lose fat. And I tend to skip meals....and I hate salads.

With your hypoalbumenia (I spelled that wrong...) weight gain should be setting off alarms with your doctor.

I am on several supplements (vitamins, minerals, probiotics, too), adrenals seemed fine last few times they were checked. I have both an internist and an endocrinologist re: thyroid theraphy etc. I think you are right that something might still be off, and we haven't figured out what that is. I have just had a blood draw to see what's going on.

Just wanted to add I know it sucks when it seems like you are doing everything right, and still not seeing the results you want.  

It definitely does sound like something bigger, like Thyroid, may be going on.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on that.  However, also keep in mind, that even when eating "clean", it still comes down to calories consumed, and whether you are burning more than taking in.  It is definitely possible to gain weight while eating Paleo / Primal.  Just to be sure, you may want to consider figuring out what you're caloric intake should be, then using something like Fitday (or one of the many variations) to keep track of your caloric intake.  Try to come in at 500 calories less than you burn and see how that goes.  

Consider ditching the milk too.  I'm not saying milk is good or bad, but I think when someone is trying to lean out, dairy, and cow milk in particular, can be prohibitive.

You also are working out quite a bit.  Consider giving yourself some days off.  Days where you walk at a fast pace for two hours is not a day off either!   :)  Your body needs time to repair and rest.  Maybe take one of those walks (on a work out day) fasted early in the day, and see if that helps out 

Just my thoughts.  Sounds like you are really doing some great things.  I hope you get this sorted out.   :)

I am trying to get some more rest days, but I am a bit of an addict, perhaps because I was a dancer for such a long time, and it's just plain difficult for me to sit still :D . I'll keep working on further cutting out cow's milk, but my main problem would be coffee, because I can't drink coffee without milk, and non-dairy milks are really, really hard on my tummy, so they're not really an option. I wonder if raw milk would be better. I seem to feel better when I get the grass-fed, unhomogenized milk.

i would go to an Endocrinologist.   She can address the thyroid and cortisol levels.  Don't dismiss the low cortisol as having no connection.  Thyroid and cortisol control alot of hormones and this is an area for a Doctor and not a "Do it yourself" issue.

Goodluck getting it all worked out.

Colleen 

Thank you... I am hoping something new will come out concerning my cortisol levels now, and I will speak to my endo in the next few days.

You are doing a great job. 

For me...the weight - it wasn't really "weight" in my case -- the inflammation caused by problematic foods kept me very "heavy" for decades.  

My final piece of the puzzle was histamine intolerance...but yours may be different.

I'm tired...so let me know if you need me to clarify this post.

Hang in there :)

GottaSki, yes, I'd be curious to hear more regarding what you meant by remaining "heavy," because I have a feeling it may be something closer to what I am experiencing.

Edited to add: I have one crazy thought in my mind. When my thyreotoxic crises first began, two years ago, I lost a crazy amount of weight. Do you think it is possible that my body is still freaked out by months of unintentional starvation, and therefore when my FT3 and FT4 go up it is somehow preventing weight loss so as not to get near death again? Like a weird defense mechanism, so that I still get some hyper symptoms, but not the one that my body has identified as the most deathly? I don't think that's how the body does/should work, but I swear that sometimes that's what it feels like.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I've lost quite a bit of weight and am still loosing i believe (or at the very least firming up and moving down pants sizes). I walk a lot (a little under 10 or so miles a week), I do not watch what i eat simply because what i do eat is on the healthy side and with all the walking i do, i think makes up for it.

GottaSki Mentor

I say "heavy" because my entire life - except for my teen years when I lived on rabbit food and diet coke - I was husky, heavier and fatter than I should have been for my caloric intake and extreme exercise level.  

Doctors ALWAYS (at least 8 primary docs over 25 years) dismissed me when I said I am heavier than I should be -- with a look like - sure you eat right and exercise!!!

The weight increased each decade and my abdomen was increasingly bloated and uncomfortable.  

Now that I have finally figured out the last piece of my particular puzzle - histamine - I look like I have lost 40-50 pounds...but have only lost about 10 -- I now know without a doubt every part of my body had inflammation - not fat.

tarnalberry Community Regular

A couple of thoughts:

1) Assuming you're not sitting on your butt the other 22 hours of the day, that is likely too much intense exercise.  Your body needs more rest days - or at least days where you SIGNIFICANTLY vary what you are doing with it.

2) Are you getting enough sleep?  Sufficient sleep is vital for proper metabolism.

3) Are you eating late at night?  A recent study showed that eating, even a small amount, a few hours after dinner time but before bed changed how the body metabolizes fat during the rest of the night.  Going for 10-12hrs without eating appears to help the body's metabolism pattern.

4) Can you exercise before eating breakfast?  It has been shown to give a small boost to fat burning over eating first and then exercising later.

5) Are you keeping track of your caloric intake and expenditure using some variety of tracking program?  This could be very helpful, regardless of how healthy you are eating.

6) How are your stress levels and how do you feel about how you cope with stress?  Outside of that cortisol reading, because cortisol is not the only stress hormone.

Besides all of that, yeah, it totally sounds like something else is going on, and you know that.  Please try not stress about the weight until you can work out the medical issues behind it.  Keep healthy habits, but don't stress about the results just yet.

Ghosty Newbie

Now that I have finally figured out the last piece of my particular puzzle - histamine - I look like I have lost 40-50 pounds...but have only lost about 10 -- I now know without a doubt every part of my body had inflammation - not fat.

What do you mean by this?  What was the problem with histamine, and how did you figure it out / fix it?  Forgive me if this is obvious, but I don't understand and am curious.

GottaSki Mentor

What do you mean by this?  What was the problem with histamine, and how did you figure it out / fix it?  Forgive me if this is obvious, but I don't understand and am curious.

My digestive system was in very poor shape from decades of damage caused by undiagnosed Celiac Disease -- it took me over three years to find all the foods that my damaged system was having difficulty digesting.  The last piece of this puzzle was Histamine Intolerance -- this is where your body can't manage histamine levels in your body properly -- there are foods that are either high in histamine levels OR they induce histamine production in your body.  

If you can't process histamine properly there is an "allergic-like" reaction.  Mine was to heat, exercise and some foods.  The enzymes needed to regulate histamine levels are produced in the small intestine -- thus a severely damaged small intestine may not be producing enough enzymes to regulate Histamine.

Far from obvious or simple -- took me years of research to figure out.  There are other parts of the world that understand this problem -- the United States is not one of them -- when I finally suspected an issue with Histamine - I was unable to get the proper medical tests at UCSD with assistance from Mayo -- sad, but true.

Anyway...here is a simple info page about Histamine Intolerance:

Open Original Shared Link

GottaSki, THAT actually makes a lot of sense, and it makes me wonder whether something similar might be going on with me, ie. bloating/swelling more than proper fat, because that's what all the people closest to me, and who have seen me through the years, seem to remark when I complain about not figuring out what's wrong with me. There definitely is quite some water on me, judging from the "pressure holes" that you can leave on my legs, if you know what I mean.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Assuming you're not sitting on your butt the other 22 hours of the day, that is likely too much intense exercise.  Your body needs more rest days - or at least days where you SIGNIFICANTLY vary what you are doing with it.

2) Are you getting enough sleep?  Sufficient sleep is vital for proper metabolism.

3) Are you eating late at night?  A recent study showed that eating, even a small amount, a few hours after dinner time but before bed changed how the body metabolizes fat during the rest of the night.  Going for 10-12hrs without eating appears to help the body's metabolism pattern.

4) Can you exercise before eating breakfast?  It has been shown to give a small boost to fat burning over eating first and then exercising later.

5) Are you keeping track of your caloric intake and expenditure using some variety of tracking program?  This could be very helpful, regardless of how healthy you are eating.

6) How are your stress levels and how do you feel about how you cope with stress?  Outside of that cortisol reading, because cortisol is not the only stress hormone.

Besides all of that, yeah, it totally sounds like something else is going on, and you know that.  Please try not stress about the weight until you can work out the medical issues behind it.  Keep healthy habits, but don't stress about the results just yet.

THAT is a fantastic post, thank you so much, tarnalberry! So...

1) Not sure if this answers your question well, but I have a desk job (grad student), so except for walking to-fro campus and around the 'hood on errands I pretty much sit a lot. As for variety, I also no idea to what extent my current training is varied. But what I have been doing these past few weeks was:

Mon: 45 min treadmill, brisk walk with incline, 60 min sculpt class;

Tue-Thur: 30 minutes light cardio, 75 min ballet (beginner, pointe), 45 min strength training;

Wed: 60 min zumba, 60 min strength training;

Fri: 120 minutes ballet (beginner-intermediate, pointe), 60 minutes light walk to-fro dance studio;

Sat: 60 mins bootcamp, 30 minutes light walk OR 45 minutes elliptical and 45 minutes strength training or 60 min sculpt class and 30 mins elliptical;

Sundays off/walking in the park etc (though I was thinking of adding a modern dance class on Sunday nights.

2) I most surely do NOT get enough sleep. I often sleep around 6:30 hours per night, but I'd need 8. What happens is that I often get to bed past 2 AM. :(

3) I do often eat too late at night. Sometimes I come home from work at 9 PM, and therefore I finish dinner at 10 PM. If I eat earlier, then I often get hungry again by the time I get back to bed (see #2).

4) I used to do that, but I have found controversial studies re: muscle loss, which given my current problem with protein, worries me a little. The other practical problem is that I am taking lots of classes this round, simply because I find exercising alone all the time to be a bit alienating, and all the classes are later in the day. Thoughts?

5) I am using MyFitnessPal - used CalorieCount for a few months, but their interface drive me bonkers, so I switched. I am very short, around 5 foot 1, and I often end up eating about 1400-1500 kcals per day, even if theoretically aiming for 1250-1300.

6) Short answer: I am VERY stressed. Worried about not being able to finish my dissertation/getting a fellowship extension, being several thousands miles away from my family that's going through lots of financial and health problems, just recovering from over two years of what I now recognize as an abusive relationship, even just living in a different country, continent, culture where I even rarely speak my own language, making ends meet in NYC while living on a student stipend, etc, and I don't know how well I am coping with all this: outwardly I seem to be doing fine, but I am rarely relaxed without being guilty/in avoidance strategy. That was the long answer.

How this helps, and thank you again!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Over exercising will cause swelling. You are over exercising. As a person with an AI condition it is a delicate balancing act. Too little or wrong type of exercise-nada. Too much - body rebellion. Thyroid/hormones off -swelling. My doctor told me no more than 1 hour per day, every other day. I rebelled against her advice til I was so exhausted (plus injury) I had to cut back...and it worked. Too much exercise makes me swell - up to 2 INCHES.

Up all night - you've got to force yourself into a different schedule and go to bed earlier. Turn off tv, Internet, etc. and lay there counting sheep. Part of the sleep difficulty is probably thyroid.

I have a difficult balancing act with food and exercise. Too much food, wrong food and I don't get much out of my workouts and don't lose weight. But my body demands more food for blood sugar control and adrenals. Play with your food and find a diet that fills you up without bloating and gives you energy for workouts.

Yes, you may have additional food issues. However, you are over exercising at the moment. Plenty of Celiacs and hypothyroid people are athletes - but they may be different types of athletes after AI sets in than before. Things change. You probably need to ease back into a rigorous routine.

foam Apprentice

My allergist put me on a histamine free diet.. worked really well for my itching and general excessive histamine. I'm still on anti histamines for the Kimuras's disease (Zyrtec) but I can go off that and not itch which I couldn't before, I'd been scratching my skin off for 20 years

Thank you everybody for your advice and support. I have lately been focusing on these: getting to bed a bit earlier (though not optimal yet), and eating after 9-10 PM, and shortening my workout times. It would be very difficult for me to have days that are completely off workout because I have a desk job and I am in pain if I don't do something, so I decided to reduce the workout time. Other changes I did was getting a larger share of my calories at breakfast, and that has almost totally eliminated snacking/sugar cravings for the rest of the day. So far so good. I seem to have lost 3 kgs from the day I posted this. Fingers crossed.

I have also got my blood tests back. Hypoalbulinemia gone. Cortisol in range again (top half). TSH always suppressed, but FT3 and FT4 are getting lower, ever if they are still hyper, but I guess this means the therapy is working.

But the AMAZING thing, is that my aTPO was slashed in HALF. I wonder if the gluten-free diet helped on that one. It is still high, and positive, but half as it was about a year ago. Anti-tyreoperoxidase and TRab still the same thing.

• 3 months later...
dlysarz Newbie

Thank you all for sharing your weight gain issues since being diagnosed with celiac disease.  I have been diagnosed with celiac, hashimotos thyroid, hypertension, arthritis, and menopause within the last 8 years.  I have gained 16 pounds in those 8 years.  Most might say that isn't terrible, only 2 lbs per year but I feel so unhealthy.  This is not my normal pre- celiac health condition.  I cannot seem to find the correct nutritional combination to stop the weight gaining process.  I have tried the 17 day diet and lost 4 pounds in 17 days and then stopped loosing even though I stayed on the diet.  I have tried just low fat, high protein diet totally eliminating carbs and I continue to gain.  My metabolism is altered with the decreased heart rate produced by the blood pressure medicine and my arthritis prevents me from the physical activity that I want to do.  The physical activity that I prefer is walking, group fitness classes at the gym, biking, weight lifting (light weights for shaping) but am not able to participate for the recommended time frames or with reguarity and I get discouraged and give up.  

Does anyone else experience the same or similar issues?  Does anyone have suggestions regarding the appropriate foods and physical activities to counter act this?  Please advise.  I need new and fresh input... D

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I found that when I significantly dropped my carbs I had to up my good fats so I didn't feel hungry and snack too much. I use avocados, olives, and oils of avocado, olive and coconut. Sweet potatoes are good too.

I don't deal with the extra sugar which is sometimes in low fat foods, and that gives me cravings too.

I ended up mostly paleo, lost 42 lbs so far, but more to go....

I did give myself a few months gluten-free before I tried losing weight, and found that I gained weight when I used gluten-free replacement foods like gluten-free bread, pasta, cake etc.

Good luck

• 1 month later...
CeliacInSenegal Rookie

Hi Butterfly Chaser, other medical issues may well be affecting things, but from what you said about your exercise routine and eating patterns, it seems like you are aren't nourishing your body enough for all that exercise. You've dealt with the starvation mode issue before, so you know that can make your body cling to every bit of nourishment you do give it, mess with your hormones, and encourage your body to sacrifice muscle before fat since it requires more energy to maintain (thereby lowering your metabolism further). For the very high amount of exercise you are doing, you should probably be eating quite a bit more than you are. You can look for BMR calculators online, plug in your target weight as the weight for calculation, and then factor in your activity level to get the amount of calories you'd need daily to be a healthy person at that goal weight. Your calorie level will be enough to make you lose steadily, but not so little that your body perceives it as unhealthy or starvation mode. You can find some options here:

I sometimes use the My Net Diary app to check on my dietary balance of protein/fat/carbs, and that seems to give a good estimate as well. For me, for example, as a fairly normal weight woman of 5'8" who is pretty active, it calculates that I need roughly 2500 a day to maintain and can shave off a hundred or two a day if I'm trying to lose a few pounds. It accounts for exercise as well and ups the number you can eat that day. When I do use it and look at my calories, it has been remarkably accurate and predicted correctly if my weight will head up or down based on how much I'm eating.

People have been trying to follow this conventional wisdom that tells them to restrict calories to 1500/day or less and exercise as much as possible, but as a society, we just keep getting fatter. Clearly this approach isn't working (and I know this firsthand from years of trying it myself). The body fights the weight lost, the individual can't live forever on so few calories, and when they do start to eat more again, they often rapidly gain back what they lost and more, given their new lower metabolism, starved body, and higher body fat composition. Luckily there is a lot of new research coming out that is showing more success with an approach focusing on quality of food (with plenty of protein) rather than quantity. It sounds like you've already got the food quality thing sussed, so maybe you just need to eat more of it!

Good luck with your tests and I hope you find some answers. Cheers.

*I just reread your posts and see that you are only 5'1'', so your level of calorie restriction isn't as extreme as I thought. Still, though, you are getting so much exercise, you likely need quite a few more calories to fuel your body. And with eating healthy whole foods like you are, it's pretty hard to overeat. Best of luck.

CeliacInSenegal Rookie

Hmm, the BMR calculator link didn't show up, so maybe they aren't allowed. If this doesn't work, just check out the fat2fit radio bmr calculator. They have a very sensible approach to weight loss and their bmr calculator generates a table that tells you what your goal weight calories would be for your given activity level. (Open Original Shared Link)

rene83 Rookie

You poor thing. I don't have any advice as I am in the same boat but wanted to let you know you aren't alone. 

• 3 months later...
lyndaloo Newbie

So...

Check out Underground Wellness, Sean Croxton's ebook Dark side of Fat Loss...

• 4 weeks later...
florida1641 Newbie

So...

They had me do all kinds of tests and everything was fine and nothing wrong. Well, I started to look at all different web sites to see why I'm gluten-free and still gaining weight and even watching my calorie intake and good healthy foods. Well, I found a doctor, that listened to me that something is wrong with copies of what web sites said was wrong with me, that said let's see if we can solve this puzzle. He did an endoscope and said that my bile duct was inflamed & blocked and there was an infection in my intestines. So, now he has me on a regimen of taking one antibiotic for one week and then for the next 3 weeks it is enzymes and probiotics (but not while on the antibiotics as they will kill the good & bad bacteria) and then a different antibiotic on the next month and then repeat every other month for the next 3 months. So far it seems to be working, as when I eat, I don't get sick and I'm not eating every 30 minutes as I wasn't able to eat anything after just a few bites without getting sick. He said that I need to take enzymes and probiotics everyday. He said that probably part of my problem was because I wasn't taking enzymes and probiotics from the start of my Celiac’s but I'm still extremely tired and find myself wanting to fall asleep at 11:30 am, even though I get a good night’s sleep. He said that all my levels are good but my body is and has been fighting this major infection in my intestines. My advice, Celiac is still so new and research your symptoms and be proactive with your doctor and don’t give up.

Archived