This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eye Discomfort

EricaM15

EricaM15 Rookie

I reacted to almonds this past week and I'm still working on figuring out other possible intolerances. After I reacted to almonds, I noticed it became uncomfortable to wear my contact lenses, and eventually I'd have to replace them. It felt as if dirt was stuck to them, but no matter how much I cleaned them or soak them in contact solution, they were still uncomfortable. The discomfort was only relieved when I replaced them with a new pair. Today, I'm still having some slight discomfort, but I can't figure out what it could be. Is it possible I'm sensitive to something in my contact solution? I can't give up wearing contacts. I have terrible eyesight and my glasses are so heavy that it makes my ears hurt if I wear them too long. Or is it possible that when I react to foods, it does something to my contact lenses? Has anyone else experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Did your eyes swell at all when you had your reaction?

If so, they could still be sensitive.

Glasses are heavy? Wow, they've changed so much that you can get ones that are almost feather light and feel like nothing. I was surprised when i went to get my last pair. I opted out of getting those, but still.

EricaM15 Rookie

They didn't swell, but they got fairly bloodshot.

I haven't been able to get a new pair of glasses since 2009. Also, my prescription for contacts is -6.5 in both eyes. I'm not sure what it is for glasses, but a lot of people don't realize what I'm dealing with when I say I have bad eyes. I don't know if you're in the same boat or not.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I really can't see well without mine.

Even with my glasses, I cannot read a street sign until i'm right up on it. Though, on the flip side, if its up close, i can generally see it (like a few inches from my face). I also used to have a really bad lazy eye. I can certainly understand bad eyesight. The lowest line i can read on the chart without my glasses is probably line 4 on a general eye exam chart, but barely and i have to squint. I do try the 5th line, but generally I miss most of the letters.

At any rate, yeah, i'd say that is probably the cause. When mine get bloodshot, they get really irritable and i can't imagine wearing contacts with them when they get like that.

EricaM15 Rookie

I can't see anything without glasses or contacts. I wouldn't dare leave the house without them, or I'd be lost. Everything is literally just colors blurred together. I have to hold things about four inches from my face in order for them to look clear to me. Luckily, I can see very well with visual correction, especially since eliminating the foods I'm sensitive to. Before then, things were kind of fuzzy at times, especially since my eyes were more likely to dry out. I'm not sure about the reading chart. Sounds like you're in a similar situation though.

You're probably right. Maybe my eyes are still recovering from my reaction. I guess I'll try wearing my glasses for a few days.

jamer Apprentice

My contacts do that at times. Have you tried using clear care solution to clean them? It's more like an enzyme and will seriously clean them. As for eye sight...I have both of you beat! My glasses are a -8.0 and my contacts are -7.5.  I'm so blind, I sleep with my glasses on so I can see when I wake up! :P

Lisa Mentor

I reacted to almonds this past week and I'm still working on figuring out other possible intolerances. After I reacted to almonds, I noticed it became uncomfortable to wear my contact lenses, and eventually I'd have to replace them. It felt as if dirt was stuck to them, but no matter how much I cleaned them or soak them in contact solution, they were still uncomfortable. The discomfort was only relieved when I replaced them with a new pair. Today, I'm still having some slight discomfort, but I can't figure out what it could be. Is it possible I'm sensitive to something in my contact solution? I can't give up wearing contacts. I have terrible eyesight and my glasses are so heavy that it makes my ears hurt if I wear them too long. Or is it possible that when I react to foods, it does something to my contact lenses? Has anyone else experienced this?

I had the same problem.

Have you been prescribed a new medicine?  It sounds like an allergic rection.  If you are taking vitamines or any  unprescribed drugs, stop for a week or two and see how you feel. Drugs can interact, leaving the eye less hydrated or lubricated.  PM me if you prefer.  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

EricaM15 Rookie

My contacts do that at times. Have you tried using clear care solution to clean them? It's more like an enzyme and will seriously clean them. As for eye sight...I have both of you beat! My glasses are a -8.0 and my contacts are -7.5.  I'm so blind, I sleep with my glasses on so I can see when I wake up! :P

I haven't tried that one. I've been using Opti-Free contact solution for as long as I can remember. I can't imagine sleeping with glasses on. I just keep them next to my bed.

I actually read somewhere about a correlation between Celiac and nearsightedness along with the need for braces. I'm not surprised to find so many people with poor eyes here.

I had the same problem.

Have you been prescribed a new medicine?  It sounds like an allergic rection.  If you are taking vitamines or any  unprescribed drugs, stop for a week or two and see how you feel. Drugs can interact, leaving the eye less hydrated or lubricated.  PM me if you prefer.  :)

I've been off all my prescriptions since going gluten-free (I was on Prozac before that). It started a little after I ate almonds about a week and a half ago. I didn't realize the almonds were the issue right away because at about the same time, I happened to eat something with a CC label. So I kept eating almonds the rest of the week, hoping that the initial reaction was from CC, but my symptoms kept getting worse until I eliminated them. Maybe I'm slightly allergic to almonds?

I wore my glasses all day today and my eyes feel fine now, but I'm not sure how it will feel once I try to wear contacts again. It almost seems like my contact lenses get contaminated by my reaction to food.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I haven't tried that one. I've been using Opti-Free contact solution for as long as I can remember. I can't imagine sleeping with glasses on. I just keep them next to my bed.

I actually read somewhere about a correlation between Celiac and nearsightedness along with the need for braces. I'm not surprised to find so many people with poor eyes here.

Really? I had both. Braces for 7-8 years (something like that) and glasses for most of my life.

I've been off all my prescriptions since going gluten-free (I was on Prozac before that). It started a little after I ate almonds about a week and a half ago. I didn't realize the almonds were the issue right away because at about the same time, I happened to eat something with a CC label. So I kept eating almonds the rest of the week, hoping that the initial reaction was from CC, but my symptoms kept getting worse until I eliminated them. Maybe I'm slightly allergic to almonds?

I wore my glasses all day today and my eyes feel fine now, but I'm not sure how it will feel once I try to wear contacts again. It almost seems like my contact lenses get contaminated by my reaction to food.

Its very possible that you might have a slight reaction to almonds. After all, anyone can become allergic to anything at any time.

Yay! The glasses, by the way, that i was talking about were the no rim ones. I'm too clumsy to even attempt to try those. I did try a pair on once, it felt like i was wearing next to nothing.

EricaM15 Rookie

Yeah, I can't remember where I read it, but apparently the malnourishment that people experience from Celiac can lead to poor eyesight and bad teeth (often causing an underbite, which I experienced myself). I've worn glasses since I was six and I had all sorts of orthodontic work growing up. Expanders, retainers, headgear, braces. So much fun... I always just thought it was my genes though since my mom has bad eyesight and had the same sort of issues with her teeth, so I don't know. It could be a combination of the two. I think it's also possible that my mom could have undiagnosed Celiac as well.

Oh, I have plastic frames. That's what they recommended for me since they're lighter (not light enough) and make the thickness of my lenses less noticeable. I also just like how they look on me best.

Yeah, contacts take some time to get used to, I guess. I've been wearing them since I was 10 or 11, so I don't really think about it anymore.

Juliebove Rising Star

I have so many eye issues, that I'd be terrified to wear contacts.  I had to even stop wearing all eye makeup.  I had gone to wearing a tiny bit of eyeliner on occasion but I even had to give that up.  I have bad dark circles under my eyes and can't use any sort of concealer.  Nor can I even use any cosmetics in that area!  And to top it all off, I had an allergic reaction to a prescription eye infection med.  I think it is not the med itself because I have used it in a different form on my skin with no problems.  I think I am allergic to something in the base of it.

When I was little, I got pink eye a lot.  The Dr. surmised that I was rubbing my nose then touching my eyes.  And I probably was.  This is common for kids I think.  I had horrid allergies then and we didn't know of my food intolerances.  Once I changed my diet, a lof of that went away.

Next problem?  A hive in my eye.  Eyeball swelled up.  That seems not to be your problem.

Next problem?  Went to a party.  Was up late.  Went to work the next day.  The people I worked with had been at the party.  They told me that I looked really rough.  Because my eyes were red.  Turns out it was some sort of infection.  No clue how I got it.  Was prescribed an ointment.  It caused me to go temporarily blind.  Dr. said it was an allergy.  But that reaction was totally different than the most recent one.  Then, my eyes just got redder than ever.  They burned, they stung.  I wanted to claw them out.  So I did what I had been told to do in the past with the allergic reaction.  Wash them frequently with baby shampoo, rinse well and flood them with allergy drops.  Worked like a dream!

Then my most recent problem and this has been going on, off and on for many years.  Blepharitis.  I can see if I look closely in a magnifying mirror with a light.  But most people can't see anything when they look at my eyes.  The lids however will seem to have minute little swellings on them.  Like very tiny bumps.  And the eyeballs themselves don't look right.  Sort of pinkish.  And if I let it go and don't treat it, then things will get super bad.  This last time, it struck in the middle of the night.  The itching was sooo bad that I had caused lacerations on my eyeballs from rubbing at them.

One Dr. surmised that I had an allergy to Thimerisol in most eye products.  I have since disproved this theory because I can use the cheap stuff with no problems.  But she had me try a variety of the single use products because they do not contain Thimerisol.  Some worked better than others.  Some seemed to irritate my eyes and some made my vision blurry because they were so thick.  She had me use the artificial tears and I was to use them frequently.  As frequently as I could to help relieve the irritation.  It is possible that Thimerisol could be a problem for you.  Because it is something commonly put in contact products.  Look for the Thimerisol free stuff.

She also had me do eye scrubs.  Not just washing with the baby shampoo, but cutting cheap washcloths into small squares, using these 4 times a day or more with baby shampoo.  Then throwing out the squares.  I recommend Johnson's for this.  It is a no tear forumla.  Some of the off brands claim to be but I found not not to be true.  She also had me doing warm soaks as often as I could.  Told me to use a fresh washcloth each time and to hold it, wetted down with warm water to my eyes for a good 5 minutes or more.  Eventually I hit on using cheap tea bags for this.  Soak briefly in hot water, wring out and put my head back with them on there.

Now you can purchase eye scrubs.  I like the Cleansing Eyelid Pads that are the Walgreen's brand.  They are individually wrapped so portable.  I would recommend using these frequently plus the artificial tears and even some allergy drops if you think allergies are a problem.  Of course you can't do this with the contacts in.  But maybe take a break from them for a few days at least!

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi EricaM

YES!!

I was really glad to see this post because it is something I had considered posting about.

I have worn contact lenses for 36 years (gas permeable) all day, every day, taking them out at night, of course. I have loved them and never had any troubles until about the last year/18 mths.

It is my belief that gluten makes them fog up - knock on effect, causes very bad temper :angry:  (it is so annoying). The optitian says that it is protein on them. I can clean them, put them back in and they fog up again real quick. This only happens when glutened. I have given it a fair bit of thought and can't see how the gluten is turning up in my eyes :blink: so in my own mind, I wondered if it is to do with dehydration. The optitian told me that eyes have lipids and protein in tears and when dehydrated these can attach together and stick to my lenses - or something like that!

Either way, I am convinced it is caused by what I'm eating.

When I am cc'd one of my first things is thirst and I suspect I suffer from dehydration generally anyway.

When I am really careful (paleo style) I get no lens fog.

Two other points: I can't eat ground almonds in things  :(  - they gluten me badly, so I guess they are heavily cc'd.

I soak my lenses (at least once a week) with an enzyme/protein remover tablet which is pretty effective and I also maintain a strict cleaning regime for them.

I do have a pair of long distance glasses but like you, I find them heavy and annoying although they are modern/lightweight. Sunglasses too.

Of course, I now have to wear reading glasses as my contacts are for knockout vision long distance!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Yeah, I can't remember where I read it, but apparently the malnourishment that people experience from Celiac can lead to poor eyesight and bad teeth (often causing an underbite, which I experienced myself). I've worn glasses since I was six and I had all sorts of orthodontic work growing up. Expanders, retainers, headgear, braces. So much fun... I always just thought it was my genes though since my mom has bad eyesight and had the same sort of issues with her teeth, so I don't know. It could be a combination of the two. I think it's also possible that my mom could have undiagnosed Celiac as well.

Oh, I have plastic frames. That's what they recommended for me since they're lighter (not light enough) and make the thickness of my lenses less noticeable. I also just like how they look on me best.

Yeah, contacts take some time to get used to, I guess. I've been wearing them since I was 10 or 11, so I don't really think about it anymore.

...I was a year younger than you when i got my glasses (at 5) and lets not get into all the different orthodontic appliances that i had to use... One of which was one that had to be cranked every night. Major overbite, bucked teeth, large teeth in a small mouth, jaw not growing, and a tooth that refused to come up (eventually lead to surgery that exposed it and a nightmare round of braces to help bring it up). Lets not forget wisdom teeth either. I still wear my retainer. If i don't, my bottom teeth start to hurt from the moving about that they do (and this is only after a few hours of not wearing it).

I've always worn metal frames. At one point in time, I had to wear titanium ones because the others would turn me green.

I couldn't do that. I can't even stand eye drops, let alone anything else. I did, however, have a weird reaction to eye dilating drops once. It caused them to last for two days longer than what they were supposed to. Now if that wasn't fun. I haven't had the since.

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

With apologies for the spelling - optician - that's better! Not with it this morning  :ph34r:  .......

I had lots done to my teeth as a child. Too many teeth for mouth (including two werewolf style) that came out lower, so had 5 out when about 11 yo then all manner of braces. Also chips came off both front teeth and they are symmetrically (good spelling :rolleyes: ) grooved horizontally with enamel damage.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Well, if bad eyesight is a sign of celiac, I've been cursed since birth! I've always had trouble with my vision and it keeps getting worse. Not sure if gluten contributed to the decline, but it is definitely harder to focus when glutened/soyed/dairy-ed).

I'm at -9.75 and -7.75 now (and not quite 30). I can't stand contacts (hate putting them in, can't keep them clean properly, they're so expensive with the prescription + astigmatism...) and have been wearing glasses since I was 6. I got my first pair of plastic frames last year, and they're pretty great.

In any case, I think it makes sense that if you're reacting to something (gluten cc, almond allergy, what have you) then it could affect your eyes, therefore affecting your contacts. Try wearing your glasses for a few days and see if your eyes are still itchy and bloodshot. (if yes, it could be something you ate). If it goes away and only comes back when you put your contacts in, then it could be the contacts or solution or something. If you've been using the same brand for years, it's always possible their formula changed slightly, or your eyes are becoming more sensitive or something.

Anyway, hope you figure it out!

(And the teeth thing is weird. Mine are horridly crooked and squished. My dentist never saw the need for braces or anything, and unless it was a necessity I wouldn't bother with the pain and expense, but that could explain why they are the way they are)

Archived