This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just A Warning About Perdue Chicken

ruuning like a zombie

psawyer Proficient

So, your friend the chef speculated that there was barley, and you posted a warning on the internet based on his supposition. Not something I would have done.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

So the other night I( a ncgi) and my friend(celiac) decide to eat fried chicken. We cooked it the usual manner. The flour was rice flour and sorgum flour and we thought we were safe. Mere moments after eating we both start feeling horrible. We narrowed it down and discovered that the corn nor the rice were the suspects. We took a look at purdue's frozen chicken and made a shocking discovery. The chicken had been frozen in a broth that contained barley. We wee dumbfounded. So please be careful. The bag did not continue any allergy info and sadly there customer service was non-existing.

Kareng you have to give time for proof to exist. I spoke with customer service with purdue chicken. The rep advised me that they only list wheat, eggs and nuts on their allergy labels. The rep went on to explain that without the r and d dept she couldn't confirm any other allergins. She also said that is a "proprietary" blend of ingredients. They barley part comes from my friend(a chef) who helped cooked the meal and he explained that most seasoned broths are seasoned with barley. I will further contact r and d to get further answers. I didn't post this to cause falsly startle everyone, but everyone should know what occured. We are all on the same team here Afterall.

You came on and stated as a fact that the chicken was "frozen in a broth that contained barley". When you were asked why you say that, you have no response other than your friend thinks that is the case. I am on the team that does not want to spread rumors or scare people about gluten in products that do not have gluten.

running like a zombie Newbie

I can admit fault when I am wrong. I have no intent on scaring people with false accusations. The thing I do know that is fact is that the recipe used has been tried and true by both of my friends and the only variable that changed was the chicken. I agree it may have not been the smartest thing to jump in the water while not being able to see the bottom but I felt people needed to know. If I am wrong in doing so then I am sorry

bartfull Rising Star

Could it possibly be that you both got sick with "the bug" at the same time?

running like a zombie Newbie

Food poisoning isn't an option. 5 total ate the chicken and the only two with intolerances got sick.

Lisa Mentor

Running, this is your statement that other members have questioned:

We took a look at purdue's frozen chicken and made a shocking discovery. The chicken had been frozen in a broth that contained barley

..and have asked you to support your statement.  I would suggest you and your partner look for other options, such as the method of frying or oils.  Most people where I live use a seasoned skillet that is well used to cook every floury thing.   That gluten remains in the pan that can cause contamination.

Another thing to look into is that the longer you are gluten free, your reaction time will vary.  In other words...did you and your partner share a lunch  or a previous dinner, that might not have been 100% safe, and the response was after your evening meal.  I react amost 24 hours after I have been exposed to gluten.

No one is denying your illness, but your intial statement was a bit alarming, when Perdue had been a pretty good company for those of us with Celiac.  Although individuals nor companies are perfect. :rolleyes:

bartfull Rising Star

I didn't mean food poisoning, I meant a stomach virus or the like. I thought one time that I had been glutened but I couldn't figure out how. When some of my close friends started getting sick I realized my "glutening" was actually just plain old stomach "flu".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived