This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread

corden

corden Newbie

Would like to know if anyone has a white bread recipe that taste like real bread that my child is use to , i have tried all brands and she doesnt like any of them .thanks 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Which brands? Kinnikinick makes a white bread that folks here seem to like. I think it is more like the packaged white bread in stores. I prefer Udi's multi-grain because it is more like a crusty french bread.

shadowicewolf Proficient

You won't find anything that is exactly the same. Similar, certainly. But the same? Nope.

gringa-lg Newbie

Open Original Shared Link <-- it sucks she doesn't have the recipe on her website but maybe you can go to your library and get it?

Open Original Shared Link <-- heard this was pretty good....

I haven't tried either one but I have been looking into making breads and thought those might help you!  :)

corden Newbie

Which brands? Kinnikinick makes a white bread that folks here seem to like. I think it is more like the packaged white bread in stores. I prefer Udi's multi-grain because it is more like a crusty french bread.

i have tried all of them , she didnt like udi at all 

mushroom Proficient

I am afraid that unless you yourself can bake something better, your daughter is going to be disappointed.  It would probably be better to switch her to something completely different, like rice wraps, crackers, corn tortillas, and wait a while before retrying gluten free bread.  Give her a chance to forget what gluten bread tastes like.  :)  She is going to have to learn that it is either that or no bread at all for her, sooner or later.  And when you reintroduce it, do so in a different way from what she is normally used to eating bread, i.e., grilled cheese or like things, so that it is a new experience, not an imitation of a prior experience.

corden Newbie

I am afraid that unless you yourself can bake something better, your daughter is going to be disappointed.  It would probably be better to switch her to something completely different, like rice wraps, crackers, corn tortillas, and wait a while before retrying gluten free bread.  Give her a chance to forget what gluten bread tastes like.  :)  She is going to have to learn that it is either that or no bread at all for her, sooner or later.  And when you reintroduce it, do so in a different way from what she is normally used to eating bread, i.e., grilled cheese or like things, so that it is a new experience, not an imitation of a prior experience.

thank you , i am finding that is what has to be done, i wish i could figure out a bread recipe 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

thank you , i am finding that is what has to be done, i wish i could figure out a bread recipe 

Here is a recipe you could try.  (I originally found this recipe on a forum without attribution, so I am sorry, I have to pass it on this way :( with apologies to the author)

FRENCH BREAD

ingredients

* 2 cups rice flour (white)

* 1 cup tapioca flour

* 3 teaspoons xanthan gum

* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

* 2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

* 2 tablespoons fast rise yeast

* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

* 3 egg whites, beaten slightly

* 1 teaspoon vinegar

* melted butter, for brushing (optional)

Directions

1.      In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.

2.      In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.

3.      Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.

4.      Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.

5.      To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.

6.      Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.

7.      Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.

8.      Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

9.      Remove from pan to cool.

This recipe also works just fine in a regular loaf pan lined as per cookie sheets.  If you put it in the smaller size bread pan it will come up as a higher loaf, but do not expect Mt. Everest :lol:  You will probably have to bake it a tad longer.  It has a nice, soft, squishy texture which may appeal to your daughter.  I store it in a brown paper sack inside a plastic bag and have kept it reasonably fresh for 4-5 days out of the refrigerator.  The paper absorbs the moisture which prevents molding.

Archived