This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Palmoplanter Pustular Psoriasis?

jhol

jhol Enthusiast

hi everyone,

i have had a rash on the palms of my hands for at least 15 years - doctors just threw steroid creams at it. so i googled rash on palms and this is what it came up with.
small yellow blisters that dried up leaving the skin on top all thick and dry that eventually flaked off. for years now ive picked at it constantly, even tried filing it down with an emery board to keep it smooth.it looks awfull and my palms are always red and sore.
it has cleared up somewhat on the gluten and dairy free diet (at one point it had virtually disappeared- thought it was the dairy) but its still lingering.  
so as i said i already knew what it was but just googled it again and this time its said its linked to auto immune diseases like celiac!!!!. maybe i googled it before my doctor went down the whole celiac route coz i dont remember the connection or maybe i was just didnt  put 2 and 2 together!!! 

if thats right im soooo pissed off. if all this information is available on the net then why dont doctors know about it!!!
so thats palmoplantor pustular psoriasis, and scleritis - something the doctors didnt explain to me what it was !!! both auto immune diseases but all my results came back negative so havent even been diagnosed with celiac.

im just sooo mad at the moment. if this could have been sorted out 15 years ago!!!!

has anyone else had it / got it. is it connected to celiac. do i need to go back to docs to explain the connection!! ive been off gluten for 8 weeks now- havent tried a gluten trial yet so dont know how i,ll react if i have to go back on it.  im just so mad at the moment

. this is me right now lol  :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I've got it. It's on my feet too. When I went gluten-free it started to clear up. Now I get it back if I eat corn or foods high in salicylates (almonds, most fruits, all berries, and some vegetables). If I am really careful with my diet it goes away completely. Right now my hands are completely healed but I still have some on my feet from the last time I got glutened/corned.

It was when my PPP got so bad that it hurt to play my guitar and it hurt to walk that I looked it up and discovered that it was likely celiac that was causing it. My Mom had plaque psoriasis that cleared up completely when she was dignosed with celiac and went gluten-free. This was back in the eighties and doctors knew even less than they do now. They all thought it was just a coincidence. When I saw on the internet that they were indeed connected, I went gluten-free. (I never got tested because I have no insurance but the results coupled with the genetic factor prove to me that I do have celiac.)

You may have further intolerances too, or you may just need to give it more time. I noticed an improvement within days but it was months before it completely cleared up. If you decide to get tested, print out some of the articles from reputable sources (like the Mayo clinic) and show your doctor. Or you could just do as I did - stick to the gluten-free diet, keep a food diary and pay attention to your psoriasis. If you get new pustules, go back and see what you ate that was different. For me, it takes eight to twelve hours for new pustules to show up. That makes it easy - it's always something I ate the day before.

jhol Enthusiast

hi bartfull,

thanks for answering. im just trying to sort out some other intolerences - nightshades . got a rash on face also which seems to flare up with peppers and potato,s seem to make my joint pains worse. struggling at moment coz potato is in all gluten free products. i did rely on the gluten-free pittas when i was desperate for bread. and ive never been a lover of fruit- it makes my mouth feel odd.

really hope corn isnt a problem i eat it all the time.

i,ll look up the salicylates , and i never thought of checking the blisters and whether they were related to foods id eaten.

thanks..

Archived