• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Chia Seeds Vs Flaxseeds

10 posts in this topic

I've been taking flaxseed mixed into my morning cereal or smoothie for a couple of weeks and my tummy has really felt alot calmer (although still bloated :( ).

Just wondering if anyone has tried Chia seeds and can let me know if you've benefitted or not / or how you find flaxseed? ..I've only been having a small amount of flaxseeds but wonder if you can have too much of a good thing and cause damage? views anyone :)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I use chia seeds soaked in room temperature (tap) water to make a "gel" to replace gums in gluten free flours.  Or I just toss a spoonful into the gluten free flour and water, and let it soak a bit.   This would also work for egg sensitive people, who wanted to experiment.  Some people make chia seed "puddings" out of this soaked chia goo, or make chia seed sports gels.    I'm the only person I know who doesn't get along with flaxseed, ground up flaxseed, or flax oil, so I don't know if one can over do it or not.  Part of my problem was oat cross contamination from a certain brand, but switching brands and trying flax oil gave me the same results.   Moderation in all things, as they say. 

thanks Takala, I didnt realise Chia was so versatile. Can you eat them like flax..mixed into cereal etc or do they have to be soaked? And how have they benefited you?

I think I would want to soak them first because of the way they expand.... I would not want that going on in my stomach!  It doesn't take long.   I don't know if I can attribute any specific benefit to them, but they are supposed to be good in terms of nutrition content.  They have fiber, and Omega 3 EFAs, and magnesium.  Anytime I find something I can eat, I get pretty excited.  :)

yeah I know what you mean..I do too :) . Thanks Takala, I'll give em a whirl.

Ads by Google:

I can not tolerate either flax seed or flaxseed oil...the seed give me gas and bloating and the  oil upsets my stomach and makes me nauseous. So chia works better for me. I currently use Gaia brand chia fresh which is already ground and in small flake form and you  just can add it to water or juice or spinkle it on salads or your food.

I eat both from time to time.  Mainly eat chia for the protein.  I seem to be able to tolerate them for about 2 weeks and then I'll wind up getting big D.  But...  I tend to get that anyway even if I don't eat them.  So I dunno.  Maybe I should just have one or the other.

Flax seed  should  not  be  eaten  as a  whole  seed....on the other  hand Chia  Seeds  can be  eaten  as  is  for  a  snack...tho  I  don't  eat  them  that  way  but others love  them as a  snack. For  me  it  was  like  eating  a  mouthful  of  paste/gum &  hard  to  choke  down. when whole..I  do  put  chia  in  my  grinder  &  use  in  everything. No  taste at  all, they  have  so  much  nutrient  value  but  so  does   flax...

Some  people  with thyroid  issues  do not so well  with flax...or  even  tolerate  flax  but  chia  seems  to  be more  digestable for  most...

And  as  another  stated  chia  is so  good  for  replacements  in  baking  & cooking....

I use chia seed where I would add to oatmeal and cereal before but now snce I cut those 2 to see how it goes, I'm going to limit it to shakes, they are good and I feel they help considerably.