• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Dizziness/brain Fog...questions?

4 posts in this topic

Okay...I am still awaiting biopsy results, but I have been gluten free for 7 days.  Though I can say that I have noticed some change, I still get dizzy at times throughout the day and experience complete brain fog. Should this be diminishing after no gluten??  Will I feel like this for a while? Why do I feel like this if I am not eating ANY gluten?  Could it be something else in addition to gluten (like other food allergy)?  Could I be experiencing cross-contamination.

I told my husband I was just ready to give up...I'm seriously not; it's just all so frustrating.  I don't have my f/u appointment for 3 weeks.  I'm wondering if I should have other tests run in the mean time.  

Has anyone else had to miss work because of similar symptoms? I just don't know how to best describe this to "non-celiacs"...They just don't seem to understand!  

Hoping some more experienced readers will be able to help/give advice! THANK YOU!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Welcome J!

Seven days isn't long in the grand scheme of removing gluten.  It is possible you are getting some from cross-contamination - it is possible what you are experiencing is gluten withdrawal symptoms.  

IMO it is way too early to look to other food intolerances - unless you can pinpoint a reaction to a certain food.  A detailed food/symptom log is your best tool if you are not improving with just removing gluten.  And I do not mean to sound dismissive, but there is no way we got all sources of gluten out of our house in the first week.  Make sure you have read the Newbie 101 thread and keep asking any questions you may have.

As for missing work...maybe I'm not the best person to ask -- I had to sell a thriving property mgmt business ten years ago when docs could not figure out what the hell was wrong with me -- and then I got really sick :(  Many miss work...hopefully you will be feeling much better very soon!

Hang in there :)

Lisa  (^that one)  has offered some great advice you should consider. 

But I must say...I got dizzy just  reading your post :rolleyes:

Oh, believe me, we get this.  It's only been a week, and it takes time for your immune system to quit attacking your own body, including your brain, over this.  You may want to try to stick to eating as much unprocessed food as possible, in other words, food that looks like how it was harvested, instead of coming out of a box.  Make sure anyone kissing you has a clean mouth, re the cross contamination.  You can experiment with ditching dairy and soy flour for a few days to see if that makes any difference, this may be a temporary dairy problem that will resolve over time, (celiac damaged gut has trouble processing lactose)  and some people just can't do soy flours.  You will feel better after some more time has passed, and most of the brain- fuzz people are very highly motivated to not experience this again.