This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutnen Free Oatmeal Trigger Reaction?

jamer

jamer Apprentice

Just curious if anyone has ever had a gluten type reaction to eating gluten free oatmeal? I'm having horrendous reflux since eating some this morning. I've also notice chocolate does this to me too...normal?

I never had a problem with either before my diagnosis with celiac disease. This is also the first time I've ate the oatmeal since going gluten-free in January.

Stumped.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Oatmeal can cause people to have similar reactions. I cannot eat it anymore because i get a stomach ache from it.

Chocolate, on the other hand, is one of the trigger foods for acid reflux. Some people can handle it, while others cannot.

You'll find as you go along that there are probably going to be foods that, before the gluten free diet, you had no issue with, but now do.

Adalaide Mentor

It is normal for oatmeal to cause that problem for some people. I know this may seem like a stupid question, but was it certified gluten free oatmeal? If not, there is no way to know if the reaction was the oatmeal or gluten.

Takala Enthusiast

Yes, I react badly to gluten-free oatmeal cross contamination, and this started years after giving up gluten.  I found out by eating snack foods with oatmeal fiber, and then started to react badly to the Bob's Red Mill brands of flours, because they mill gluten-free oatmeal in their facilities.  Oh, well.  A small percentage of us do. 

BabsV Enthusiast

If it was certified gluten free, how much did you eat? My nutritionist (who specializes in Celiac patients and is gluten-free herself) told me that oatmeal should only be ingested by those who are symptom-free and they should eat no more than 1/4 cup (precooked) at one time. Plus if you are at the beginning of the healing process it might have been too much for your system to handle!

Plus, what kind of chocolate was it? Lots seem to have 'shared equipment' issues...and depending on your tolerance levels that might contribute. I've found the only chocolate that doesn't bother me is Scharffen Berger, and I can only eat small amounts (like 1/8th of a bar) at a time due to fat malabsorption issues.)

jamer Apprentice

The chocolate I had was in Pamela's chocolate chip cookies and the oatmeal was certified gluten free. I think maybe half a cup. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I can eat and what is hurting my stomach. When I was diagnosed two months ago, I was pregnant at the time. I didn't know it until a few days later. When I'm pregnant, my stomach can handle anything. I can eat spicy, chocolate, oatmeal, and so on. I was following the gluten free diet a few days before the biopsy came back. The reflux was gone in a matter of days. Sadly, I had a miscarriage a month ago. So, now it's like starting over as to what my body is able to handle. I guess I will now add chocolate and oatmeal to the do not eat list.  Any flavorful suggestions on how to get fiber now? I've thought about getting some flax pills for it but is that as good as eating non gluten containing grains?

shadowicewolf Proficient

The chocolate I had was in Pamela's chocolate chip cookies and the oatmeal was certified gluten free. I think maybe half a cup. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I can eat and what is hurting my stomach. When I was diagnosed two months ago, I was pregnant at the time. I didn't know it until a few days later. When I'm pregnant, my stomach can handle anything. I can eat spicy, chocolate, oatmeal, and so on. I was following the gluten free diet a few days before the biopsy came back. The reflux was gone in a matter of days. Sadly, I had a miscarriage a month ago. So, now it's like starting over as to what my body is able to handle. I guess I will now add chocolate and oatmeal to the do not eat list.  Any flavorful suggestions on how to get fiber now? I've thought about getting some flax pills for it but is that as good as eating non gluten containing grains?

brown rice is pretty good if you can handle it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I eat pure oatmeal from Bob's Red Mill about once a week, and have not had a problem so far. A minority of people with celiac disease react to pure oats--it seems that I am not a member of that club.

jamer Apprentice

I LOVE rice. It's one of my go to foods when my stomach is upset. Brown, white, whatever. I can tolerate that very well. I think I may try Bob's Mill. I always loved oatmeal and ate it regularly before the diagnosis. This disease just sucks.

Juliebove Rising Star

Gluten is not my issue but I do have GERD and an oat intolerance.  Chocolate usually gives me severe GERD!  The darker the chocolate the worse it is.  And I love the dark chocolate.  I have recently been making a vegan peanut butter fudge that has cocoa powder in it.  It works for me so long as I don't eat it too close to bedtime. 

Oats make me very sick to my stomach.

Gemini Experienced

I am so very sorry you suffered a miscarriage, jamer.  No wonder your stomach is so messed up!  It's hard to tell if gluten-free oats are giving you grief when you are going through so much turmoil.  Between the hormonal changes you must be going through and the fact you have not been gluten-free very long, I would just wait a bit and try them again.  My gut was totally trashed at diagnosis but after healing, I tolerate certified gluten-free oats very well.  I eat a lot of oatmeal too....always have.  I just make sure they are the certified kind and I have no problem.  I am sure once your gut heals better and your body gets back to normal, things will be better for you.  It is very common for women with active Celiac to suffer miscarriages and nfertility issues.

I am glad they diagnosed you so you can be well again.

As for fiber, veggies and fruits have a good abundance of that.  Try to include more in your diet.  Maybe also try some other gluten-free grains that are high in fiber like teff flour.  It is high in fiber and many other nutrients you are in need of now.  You can Google it and find some recipes on line using teff, if you are feeling motivated.  It makes good bread and I have a good recipe that is pretty easy if you are interested.

jamer Apprentice

Thanks Gemini. Luckily, I've never had fertility issues and as far as this miscarriage, it was twin to twin transfusion. Pathology also indicated a chromosonal defect. Still doesn't make it easier but I was super nervous it was from the Celiac. All of my blood levels are within normal limits. They were before my diagnosis. The only change from October to now is that my folate and B12 are on the lower end of normal. I've already added extra supplements in addition to my prenatal. We plan on trying to get pregnant again as soon as I have my first post D&C period. 

I hope I get to where I can tolerate oatmeal again. It's always (since childhood) been one of my favorite foods for anytime of the day. :)

cavernio Enthusiast

For what it's worth, the celiac society of canada still says to avoid all oats. It's only recently that oats have been considered safe for celiacs, since newer studies seem to show that it's simply trace amount of other grains mixed in with the oats that are the issue.

jamer Apprentice

For what it's worth, the celiac society of canada still says to avoid all oats. It's only recently that oats have been considered safe for celiacs, since newer studies seem to show that it's simply trace amount of other grains mixed in with the oats that are the issue.

I think that is valuable information, thank you for sharing!!

psawyer Proficient

Who are the "celiac society of canada?" That is not the position of the Canadian Celiac Association.

Open Original Shared Link

Gemini Experienced

Pure, uncontaminated oats means just that.....uncontaminated.  There are some excellent sources for oats.  There are no trace amounts of other grains mixed in, unless you buy regular oats. 

Archived