This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wein, Österreich

EmiPark210

EmiPark210 Contributor

Hallo!

Ich heisse Emi und ich werde diesen Sommer in Wein wohnen. Ich bin ein Student aus Amerika. Ich habe Fragen ueber Leben mit Zoeliakie in Wein. Ich weiss dass mein Deutsch braucht arbeiten und schlect ist. Ich habe Deutsch fuer sechs Jahren gelernt in Gymnasium aber jetzt ich lerne Russisch in universitaeren. Ich habe viele vergessen. Ob sie koennen meine Fragen beantworten, es waere zehr hilfreich. 

Vielen Dank!

Now for English to correct all my horrible German errors... My name is Emi and I'm going to be studying abroad in Vienna this summer. I'm a college student from the US. I have some questions about living with Celiac's in Vienna. I know my German needs work and isn't great. I studied German in high school for six years but now I'm studying Russian in college. I've forgotten a lot. If you could answer some questions it would be really helpful. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Have you googled to see if they have any Celiac support groups that might be of help?  This is the list C.com has.  Not sure if there are any on there that would work.  If you find any, could you Pm me and we can add it to the list for future info seekers.  When you find things this summer,  maybe you could add to this post, too.  Thanks

https://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Support-Groups%2C-Organizations-%26amp%3B-Contacts/Outside-the-USA%3A-Celiac-Disease-Support-Groups-and-Contacts/

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/80003-european-trip/

EmiPark210 Contributor

I will definitely be updating as I learn more about what my options are in Austria. I did find the Celiac's Society there. Open Original Shared Link I haven't found a "read in English" button for people who don't speak/can't get by in German. 

Kate79 Apprentice

The website appears to be in German only, but there is an e-mail address that they indicate in English that you can send questions to about travel to Austria - Mrs. Petra Pries - Open Original Shared Link

• 1 month later...
Guest2000 Newbie

Hello!  I'm a neighbor in Germany originally from the US.

Your best bet is to contact them at the email address provided for information in English. Things are a little different in Austria than in Germany, but you might also get some help from the DZG in English. Open Original Shared Link -- they've been very helpful to us these last six years.

I've heard that Vienna is quite advanced and knowledgeable about Celiac issues, through the magazine that the DZG puts out. They occasionally will highlight areas you can vacation at and Vienna is one that pops up quite a lot.

You will likely find a lot of gluten free food options (prepared foods) at some of your supermarkets in the freezer section and a specialty food section all together. Ours is located in the Asian/Mexican aisle in one store, and near the diabetic and babyfood in another supermarket.  You may also find options at the Reformhaus and if there's a similar store to DrogerieMarkt (or even that chain) in Austria, you may find it there as well.  They have a nice selection in our area in Germany. . . lots of bread, cereal, breakfast bars, cookies and  packed items you can bake.

Hope that helps!

• 5 weeks later...
nora-n Rookie

Due to lots of celtic blood, they have a lot of celiac in Austria. They often know more about celiac than over in Germany.

Archived