This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keep Making Stupid Mistakes!

jhol

jhol Enthusiast

hi , 

i was doing alright following the gluten/dairy free diet , then i needed to give up nightshades and now i feel like everythings gone wrong. i just keep making stupid mistakes. i wanted somethin different for tea so bought a stirfry with sweet an sour sauce - only realised it had peppers in it  an the sauce had peppers and tomato,s , when i was cooking it!!. then bought my rice milk but there was another on special offer so i bought them- its only rice dream ive bought!!!!

rice dream by the way in the u.k. is on the same stand with the gluten free products!!

last night i had 2 corn cobs with dairy free butter - felt really weird and tired afterwards - i hope im not going to  have trouble with corn . feel like im losing the plot..

just having a rant ,thats all , feelin a bit down- maybe im eating summat i shouldnt..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DutchGirl Apprentice

I am pretty new to this and keep making stupid mistakes as well. Mistakes that are making me sick and it makes me really mad when I do it. Just hang in there and do your best! I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Yeah, soon you'll have gluten phobia to the max.  But it should work for you!

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi

Been there!

It's like getting bogged down in a swamp and like 'what the hell can I actually eat???'

All I can say is that it gets better and it gets much easier - I guess, with practice.

I am sure some people are brilliant from day 1 but I suspect for most, it's a big learning curve. Getting it wrong is part of learning and providing you keep at it - it will improve along with how you feel.

Hope you feel better soon :) .

Greebo115 Rookie

Awwwww, this happened to me too.........I know exacty how you feel, I think I'm about 1 step in front of you.

I'm the sort of person who cooks everything from scratch, or so I thought.....so was amazed at how much gluteny processed stuff I had to throw out. And just when I thought I had it cracked, I poisoned us (me: celiac, hubby: has DH) with Worcester sauce that had gluten.........then just feeling like I got gluten sorted, all these other intolerances became obvious......I can't remember the order, it just all came tumbling in, one after the other, and another, including nightshades. I can't tell you how many times I spent hours researching recipes that only included things I could eat, and hours I'd spent cooking and baking, only to find out after one bite that I couldn't eat it!!! I either added a small amount of something I knew I was intolerant to, thinking it would be fine, since it was such a small amount (doh!), or I missed it, like using gluten-free baking powder.....containing corn.....(first stomach pain, then extreme bloating, then when I finally deflate, the smell could make paint peel, lol).....

Oh, and there was this paleo chocolate cheesecake I spent nearly a whole day making........all I did was lick the bowl on that one!

Anyway, depending on how you feel when you read this, you could find it depressing, but I hope not, it's kinda funny, why am I so obsessed with finding more foods to eat, when there is tonnes left to eat that I know won't upset me?

So, this week, I'm making peace with food and sticking to things that I KNOW don't upset me. 2 things I am finding helpful:

1. Making conscious substitutions, like roast parsnip chunks instead of roast potatoes, or pureed veggies instead of mashed potato and "spiralised veggies" instead of pasta.

2. Building a weekly menu of meals that I will come back to each week to take all the thought and effort out of the choices and prep. (I usually like to just buy lots of food, then just 'see what I fancy' or stand in front of the fridge for inspiration, so this planning is not natural to me). Last night we had "shephers pie", which was diced turkey thigh cooked with mushrooms onions and pureed beans to thicken the gravy, then topped with carrots and cauliflower that were pureed with salt pepper and vegetable oil and sprinkled with chopped almonds.

This morning was scrambled eggs, yum.

Hope something I said helps, you are not alone, and it does get better, it's just a process that must be endured....

nvsmom Community Regular

Hang in there.  I'm 9 months in and have recently made a doozy of a mistake. It happens.... I think as long as we learn from our mistakes we'll be okay. :)

jhol Enthusiast

hi there;

thanks for all your reply;s

just havin a major stress out this morning, suppose i was kinda hoping it would all go away lol.

i had to buy vanicream soap from america to see if the rash on my face went away. well i ran out of soap and because the rash was still there,( but i think it has gone down a bit )- i decided i wasnt gonna spend that much on soap again. big mistake- i spent monday night looking like a beetroot lol, then desperately searchin the internet for new soap!!! and ive spent the rest of the week throwing food away!!!

i think ive eaten some chinese crackers that didnt agree with me - although i cant see what it is in them thats disagreeing with me, an its been downhill from there lol

tried lactose free cheese tonight- well i now know it must be the caesin that i have problems with,an i,ll try the corncobs again tomorrow.

gonna make a big pot of veg and lentil soup that i know is ok - that,ll sort me out

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Pour the lentils onto a plate and make sure there are not non-lentils lurking in there, pick them out.  Then put the lentils in a colander and rinse those suckers before you cook them.  

Hear you on the soaps.  Every time I get fond of one, the manufacturers would change the formula.  :angry:   Do you have the Dr Bronner's castile soap there ?   I have had some pretty spectacular skin blow ups from toiletries.  Apple cider vinegar and water mixed 1 part vinegar to 7 parts water is a great hair rinse, and then a tiny dab of pure coconut oil or shea butter can be used for the hair conditioner by putting it into your palm and then rubbing it into your damp hair.  If you can't find shampoo that agrees with you, rinse your hair, rinse it again with some baking soda in water, and then rinse with water, thoroughly, before doing the vinegar/water rinse. (I put the vinegar water in a spray bottle and spritz it on after towel drying).   Pure coconut oil or pure sweet almond oil can be used for skin moisturizer.  Pure baking soda can also work well as a deodorant.  

Archived