This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiously Waiting For Blood Results As Well As Skin Biopsy Results

mamat78

mamat78 Apprentice

I am a new member but have been reading quite a bit on this site....I have had "atopical dermatitis" for the last 10 years. Last summer, I started dealing with awful upper stomach issues (bloating, hearburn, indigestion, pain) which comes and goes (bouts will last about 3 weeks and then be good for several months). I finally went to the dr again recently because my skin was so bad and had been since december. I could not clear up my rash with using cortisone 2 times per day for over 3 months. 

I asked for a celiac screening referal because my aunt (moms sister) has celiac disease and thought that I should be tested. 

The night before my test, I looked up typical symptoms and insted of "skin rash" I came across DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) and my skin is exactly what is described when I look up that particular dermatitis. When I went to the dr originally, I got a stronger cortisone cream that did not even touch the rash. It continued, as bad as ever. 

I went back 2 days ago, mentioned DH to the dr who took a swab of my legs and perscribed me Dapsone. I have only been on it 24 hours. (50 mg once per day). I am still waiting on my celiac screening test. 

I wish I knew the answers and cannot wait until I find out but so far, here are my symptoms that seem to relate...

upper stomach (bloating, gassy, heartburn, indigestion)

infertility (we have 4 kids through adoption)

stools are normal but very oily or fatty looking at times

very irritable at times (this could be reltated to having 4 kids!)

severe skin rashes 

tingling and toes and feet falling asleep

I am not even sure what I want to ask other than, does my description sound like it could be a celiac diagnosis coming my way? I am so anxious to hear. I wish it wouldnt be so long for the results! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SarahRN482 Newbie

I am a new member but have been reading quite a bit on this site....I have had "atopical dermatitis" for the last 10 years. Last summer, I started dealing with awful upper stomach issues (bloating, hearburn, indigestion, pain) which comes and goes (bouts will last about 3 weeks and then be good for several months). I finally went to the dr again recently because my skin was so bad and had been since december. I could not clear up my rash with using cortisone 2 times per day for over 3 months. 

I asked for a celiac screening referal because my aunt (moms sister) has celiac disease and thought that I should be tested. 

The night before my test, I looked up typical symptoms and insted of "skin rash" I came across DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) and my skin is exactly what is described when I look up that particular dermatitis. When I went to the dr originally, I got a stronger cortisone cream that did not even touch the rash. It continued, as bad as ever. 

I went back 2 days ago, mentioned DH to the dr who took a swab of my legs and perscribed me Dapsone. I have only been on it 24 hours. (50 mg once per day). I am still waiting on my celiac screening test. 

I wish I knew the answers and cannot wait until I find out but so far, here are my symptoms that seem to relate...

upper stomach (bloating, gassy, heartburn, indigestion)

infertility (we have 4 kids through adoption)

stools are normal but very oily or fatty looking at times

very irritable at times (this could be reltated to having 4 kids!)

severe skin rashes 

tingling and toes and feet falling asleep

I am not even sure what I want to ask other than, does my description sound like it could be a celiac diagnosis coming my way? I am so anxious to hear. I wish it wouldnt be so long for the results! 

I'm new here too, and also hoping for some insight and answers. I haven't been diagnosed officially, but I also have major skin issues, which a dermatologist recently told me was "follicular eczema". I can't say that I'm convinced though. I really hope that you get your test results soon and at least know what you're dealing with. 

SeekingSarah Apprentice

I to both of you...skin issues is what finally made me think Celiac also...saw Jennifer Esposito on the Today Show mention it and currently I have a bad outbreak on my scalp. Always seem to have spots on my face...was dx with IBS a few years ago...questioning that now. I have appt with GI on Monday.

There are others that will most likely welcome you with a lot more information than I have at this moment...just wanted to say hello!

EmiPark210 Contributor

Hang in there! The time between getting the test done and finding out can be pretty stressful. And welcome!

Be sure to stay on gluten through getting your tests back because if they come back negative then you are probably in the clear (though gluten-free never hurt anyone). But if your tests come back positive, then you'll have to do a gluten challenge and start eating it again. And believe you me, that's hard to do. I'm waiting to have my biopsy done in April so I can eat the appropriate amount of gluten but going back on is almost harder than getting that blood test positive message. 

I hope your tests come back conclusive and you can start feeling better soon! After you get them back, feel free to post them if you're confused and we'll help you make sense of it all. :D

sisterlynr Explorer

Mamat78:  Welcome to this site.  It has been so helpful to me!

Did your doctor ask you to start a gluten free diet in addition to prescribing Dapsone?   A few years back if you were given Dapsone with a gluten-free diet and your rash cleared, the doctors did not feel a EGD w/biopsy was necessary.  That was proof enough that a patient had Celiac- DH.  My PCP had me start the gluten-free diet the same day as the Dapsone.

My PCP and Dermatologist which happens to be the head of dermatology at a university have diagnosed me with DH.  I have had 6 biopsies with various results due the other derms taking them of the lesions.  The last 2 biopsies were from the skin next to a lesion and direct immunofluorescence.  He felt since I was already gluten-free since Oct 2012 the test would not be positive but charted due to the above and all other indications of Celiac, DH.  I am on 50 mg of Dapsone per day and felt a difference within 72 hours.  I am checked once a month to be sure the Dapsone is not damaging my liver, kidneys or lowering my blood level.

I wrote on a post somewhere on here. . . I don't care if I ever see a positive test result, I know from the results of Dapsone and diet, the rash is DH.  I will tell you this, it is difficult to not get cross contaminated, especially if you eat out and Dapsone will not heal the DH.  Only the gluten-free diet will allow healing.  The Dapsone will calm the itch, sting and burn of the rash, for sure.

Good luck and it sounds like you have great doctor.   :)

sisterlynr Explorer

Oops . . . just meant to update.

Good luck and it sounds like you have great doctor.   :)  BTW, my first biopsies showed 3 different "dx"  of Grover's Disease of skin (every doctor has asked me, "What is that?"  LOL  Eczema, Folliculitis, due to taking biopsy of the lesion.  I vowed never to eat gluten again . . . not even for a test.  Proof is in the pudding for me with Dapsone and diet.  So my case has been quite turned around.

mamat78 Apprentice

Oops . . . just meant to update.

Good luck and it sounds like you have great doctor.   :)  BTW, my first biopsies showed 3 different "dx"  of Grover's Disease of skin (every doctor has asked me, "What is that?"  LOL  Eczema, Folliculitis, due to taking biopsy of the lesion.  I vowed never to eat gluten again . . . not even for a test.  Proof is in the pudding for me with Dapsone and diet.  So my case has been quite turned around.

THanks for the comments! Just in reading tonight I have realized that my doc took the biopsy completely wrong. She did it over the entire rash. I will wait on the results but will likely have to get it done again. My doctor is good but very unfamiliar with DH so new territory for her. I hope to have an idea if I respond well to dapsone, even before the test results come back. I am not off of gluten yet although very very tempted. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamat78 Apprentice

I am not sure if there is a change yet but I have gone over 14 hours without feeling the need to scratch my legs off! I think the dapsone may be kicking in which makes me wonder, is it DH? Nothing else has touched the rash in 3 months. 

Archived